Author Topic: Biting question  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Katrina

Biting question
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:57:23 AM »
Hi all  :D

A quick question. Oscar is doing well with gentle mouthing when he's well rested.

The exception is when it comes to fleece. He LOVES fleecy material and biting on it.

Enter... my dressing gown and both kids' onesies!  He thinks we're giant Teddy bears and wants to play/chew. We do swap for his teddies but he finds it hard to calm down around these items. He keeps coming back to us for chewing.

So... do we:
A) persist; its our home and we want to be comfy.  Even when it leads to time outs, unsettled evenings and kids in tears?  So nobody is actually comfy anyway!
B) put them away for now & concentrate on settling him in the evening and reintroduce them later? Will this mean they become higher value and he'll want them more in the future?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. He has very occasionally drawn a little blood by nipping too frantically at the edges of fleece. Having read the sticky thread about play biting, I'm mindful of the four stages we need to go through and that he's already 14 weeks old.
Thanks!!!

Offline Katrina

Re: Biting question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Ha - that should be option b rather than  :shades:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:16:39 PM »
Anyone? Any thoughts??

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »
Funnily enough my fleecy dressing gown was the only item of clothing Daisy ever nibbled or pulled on.  I am not sure you will be able to stop this, you may just be another chew toy now  :D

Offline Katrina

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
Ha!! A house of giant chew toys... a dogs dream!!!

Thanks - we'll keep swapping for chews and persevere.