Author Topic: First days out  (Read 3657 times)

Offline ips

First days out
« on: October 31, 2021, 08:41:04 PM »
Well I was out friday on a mini driven / walked up day with a team I organise every year, ( I dont take the dog) was a good day but boy did we get a soaking and it took it out of me. Saturday Lynn and I were beating on my syndicate shoot, eze had moments of compliance and moments of "I dont really need you so I will just get on with it" moments .. ..well and truly took it out of me but was good to be out 👍
She had two really good retrieves one very dead pheasant and one not so dead pheasant...
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: First days out
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 09:04:08 PM »
Good to hear Ian, it must be a huge relief to be out and about and back in circulation! Its bound to take it out of you at first but its a big step forward towards normality!
A first for us as well today, - Humphrey made a short appearance at dog club, - first time out after 6 weeks, - he‘s also cream crackered  ;) !
Take care, all the best!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 09:41:20 PM »
Good to read both Ian and Humphrey are getting out and about again.   :bestwishes:

In comparison it was so dark, wet and windy when we got up today, I put the heating on, had some breakfast and then settled down with pooches on settee to catch up with some stuff I had recorded.  :rain: :rain: :016:

Luckily it did dry up enough for us all to get out for our walk this afternoon.  :clapdance: :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:10:28 PM »
(Almost) normal service has resumed! Very pleased to read this  :D

Eze doing what cocker do so well…….!  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 05:30:54 AM »
Glad to hear you are getting out, take it easy though  :luv:

Well done on those retrieve Eze  :luv:

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
Thanks everyone, spent part of yesterday sat in the summerhouse listening to the shananigans over the radio and the gunshot from local shooting estate, the one that ordinarily I would be either loading or minding on and also doing the hospitality....it was pouring down all day so I was happy to be in the summerhouse 🤣

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
Thanks everyone, spent part of yesterday sat in the summerhouse listening to the shananigans over the radio and the gunshot from local shooting estate, the one that ordinarily I would be either loading or minding on and also doing the hospitality....it was pouring down all day so I was happy to be in the summerhouse 🤣

There you go then, sometimes its just nice to take a back seat!!  :lol2: :luv:

Offline Toofast

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
Hello,
How old is "Eze", it sounds as if you both had a busy day.

When we take any of our lot out beating we only expect them to retrieve shot birds that are found from previous drives. They NEVER "run in" to retrieve while they are in the beating line, there are proper picking up dogs to do that, and ours are expected to, and do stay within the beating line doing a grand job of just hunting and flushing as they are required with the beaters.

We never introduce a puppy to the beating line until they are almost 2 years of age, this allows them to learn respect of what we want and to be reliable enough to come back as soon as they are called.

A cocker Spaniel that continues to hunt and flush  and then disappears to retrieve just because they can will never get any steadier with age, they will just get worse!!

I would be absolutely knackered too, but the dogs would be thinking what a good day they had had and tails would be wagging even faster.

Good luck with the beating and enjoy every  day out with your "Eze" if you can last the season yourself ;)
                     "Eze" is very  lucky to have you. :clapping:

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »
Hi toofast
She is a few months over 7 and has been worked (a lot 🤣) since 16months old. First day out was actually my little syndicate shoot that we were on last sat, due to not being at all well this year i only took half a gun as didn't know at the time if I would even make the season 😟 so no shooting last Saturday just an easy day out beating and sweeping up after the drives 👍

Offline Toofast

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »
I have my 3rd day out this coming Friday and with 2 dogs in the beating line with me.
 My husband and myself have another day next Tuesday, we should have 3 dogs out with us. 2 of them are 3.5 years of age and the other is 9.5 years.
We are so lucky to have them all, they keep us motivated every day in all weathers.  PHEW !

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 06:33:30 PM »
I have my 3rd day out this coming Friday and with 2 dogs in the beating line with me.
 My husband and myself have another day next Tuesday, we should have 3 dogs out with us. 2 of them are 3.5 years of age and the other is 9.5 years.
We are so lucky to have them all, they keep us motivated every day in all weathers.  PHEW !

Phew indeed, sounds like you are busy. 😁This time last year we were out twice a week beating starting early September on partridge.... Small syndicate days 30 bird up to 300 bird commercial shoots and everything in between, only doing my small syndicate days this season, I might do a few bigger days towards end it season depending on how well I feel 🙄
Have a great season 👍

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
That sounds great, it will have done both of you good.  Just take it steady, you are definitely on the right road.

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »
Ejp
It took it out of me but was good to be out 😁👍