Author Topic: Two teething questions...  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Katrina

Two teething questions...
« on: November 06, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
Hi again!

Hope you and your puppies are all doing well. I feel like we're really finding our feet with Oscar now... he's pretty much toilet trained, well crate trained and becoming really good fun for all of us to play with now he has stopped nipping at the kids constantly. We're all really enjoying his company!

I have two questions about teething for those of you who have more doggy experience than we do....

1)  Oscar has gone off his kibble unless I put hot water on it first to soften it. He literally will not eat it otherwise. But eats other hard treats. Is this teething (he has red gums at the back of his mouth & two molars erupting).  Or could it be a kibble issue?  It's a pain because we had ditched the bowl in favour of working for food.

2)  I havent actually seen any teeth that have fallen out. I dont know if his front teeth are still his puppy teeth?!  How would I know? I can't find any good Google pics that would help me out. He shoukd have lost some by 5 months.. or should he?

Thanks!!

Offline MrsFlintstone

Re: Two teething questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
Hi Katrina
Puppies usually swallow lost teeth so you probably won't notice when he loses one. We had a similar issue with kibble, Bonny went off it for a time but will eat it quite happily again now when offered, we tried various foods and she mainly has home cooked foods but doesn't seem to be fussy now she's a bit older (9 months). Glad to hear your puppy has settled so well, those first few weeks are just like having a newborn aren't they!
Best wishes
Rebecca

Offline Katrina

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 07:23:13 AM »
Thanks Rebecca! I hadn't thought he might swallow them... although he eats everything else so it shouldn't be a surprise!! & good to know he might come back to his kibble... I'll keep trying.

Yes I'm glad the "newborn" bit has passed.  Getting a puppy was far harder than I had ever anticipated.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 10:04:08 AM »
Hi Katrina,

Your post has given me hope for our little monster puppy! Really glad to hear Oscar is settling into family life.

Ivy isn't keen on her kibble either (Skinner's puppy chicken) and we also have to do the boiling water trick. I feed her 11am and 3pm kibble as training treats or in a puzzle, and squirt a bit of salmon oil on the kibble and mix it up in the measuring cup. It's enough to coat them a bit, make them smell amazing (to a puppy, absolutely not to me!), and soften them a little - but not so much that you can't handle them. She loves the stinky salmon oil so works like a charm, but it's a bit gross to handle and I have to wash the puzzles straight away after. Might work for Oscar too if he's keen on salmon?

Hope Oscar gets through the teething stage ok! Poor little thing. Always feel so sorry for babies when they're teething and you can see their pink cheeks. Glad it doesn't last as long in puppies!

Sophie x

Offline Katrina

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »
Oh ours is skinners chicken puppy too! His breeder had him on it and I didn't want to change it whilst he was still little so I bought a 15kg bag! There's still a lot to get through  :005:

That's a great tip about the oil... thanks!  We were given a free sample of salmon kibble at puppy class & he goes wild for that (I used it as treats) so I think the salmon would work!!

Lol - we were having a good day when I wrote the post... he's been a little terror today!  He's fought his sleep and is an over-tired hot mess!!!  >:D. Just so it's not all rose tinted  ;)

Ah well tomorrow is another day... 

Offline Toofast

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »
Our puppies start changing their teeth at the 15 week stage. The front at top and bottom are the first to go, the next to change will be the top canines about 20 weeks, you are likely to notice a some gaps at this time and the tooth size is quiet different.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 08:17:03 AM »
I did the same Katrina! Didn't appreciate how much 15kg was until I had to lift it!

Hopefully Oscar had a better day yesterday! Funny isn't it how they have good days and bad days - Ivy was really hyper this morning, no idea why, but I'm in the office today so that's my husband's problem :005:

Toofast - good to know! Our girl is 15 weeks on Friday so I'll keep an eye on the front sets.

Offline Katrina

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
Too fast - I've probably started looking after the action has happened! Oscar is 22 weeks! No wonder I couldn't see z change... doh! Thanks for the info 👍

Sophie - he's had a couple of wild days & slept most of today to get over it! It's funny how it comes & goes.  Hope Ivy calmed down a little for your hubby :)

Offline Katrina

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
His top left canine fell out over the weekend! We found it and the kids were so excited to see it. I can see the gaps in his teeth too now.

I hadn't anticipated the doggy tooth fairy questions though!

Thanks!

Offline Toofast

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
Hmm a doggie tooth fairy. I have no suggestions for that one  :luv:
We very seldom find puppy teeth1