Author Topic: What are the signs of being in season?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Cathymac

What are the signs of being in season?
« on: November 16, 2021, 07:28:08 AM »
Hi,

My show cocker is almost 5 months old and we are delaying spaying until 6-7 years old as per the advice of our breeder for health reasons that she has outlined to us. We definitely don't want puppies and know from research it won't be easy.
I just wanted to check what are the signs people know of of a bitch being in season as know it can be around 6 months but equally could be earlier or later and don't want to miss it/ take Bess off the lead at a bad time!
Yesterday I took her off the lead and a male puppy aged 9 months old started to " hump" her. This has never happened to her and I wondered if she might be giving off heat signals and I have missed it!
I haven't noticed anything different about her in line with what I have read.
Can you please help from your experience? Thanks in advance.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: What are the signs of being in season?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 01:05:49 PM »
My experience was that male dogs spotted it first, and the girls became flirty at times,  or moody. When it really gets going, you will notice her licking  her bottom clean, as the pink discharge  occurs.   We got ours neutered before the second season,  no problems in later life at all.   Using kennels  can be well nigh impossible,  my son was lucky that he found one with an isolation block and separate field.  Otherwise it’s not fair on male dogs , and they will bark and misbehave.  Other dog owners won’t like it.
We didn’t know our girl was going on heat till an Alsatian ran into our house, and into the bedroom where OH was having his early morning tea in bed. Next day there were three sheepdogs sitting outside.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Cathymac

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
Thanks this is really helpful.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:15:32 AM »
My experience was that male dogs spotted it first, and the girls became flirty at times,  or moody. When it really gets going, you will notice her licking  her bottom clean, as the pink discharge  occurs.   We got ours neutered before the second season,  no problems in later life at all.   Using kennels  can be well nigh impossible,  my son was lucky that he found one with an isolation block and separate field.  Otherwise it’s not fair on male dogs , and they will bark and misbehave.  Other dog owners won’t like it.
We didn’t know our girl was going on heat till an Alsatian ran into our house, and into the bedroom where OH was having his early morning tea in bed. Next day there were three sheepdogs sitting outside.
That really made me laugh, thanks for cheering up a very miserable Monday morning! Thanks for the info too, I’m looking for in season signs too.
John

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »
There is a really useful guide to seasons pinned to the top of this topic

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=44072.0

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
Thanks Pearly, that’s what I was looking for.