Author Topic: Vet Prescription Help/Advice Plz.  (Read 1612 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Vet Prescription Help/Advice Plz.
« on: October 31, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »
Hi,
Can anybody help please, this is confusing and doesn’t feel right to me.

My partner took our 10 year old cocker to the vet for more dry eye ointment. The vet has changed the prescription to Optimmune 2mg/g ointment, charged a one off £90.00 and advised her to pay this fee and in the future they’ll provide the prescription and we can get the ointment dispensed online elsewhere. She paid this. I didn’t know this had happened and am now looking at the prescription for next month’s ointment tube and it looks like we can only get one tube monthly/per prescription. The Vet is charging €20.00 per prescription letter.

A quick search suggests the price of the ointment is around £10.00. This feels like a long winded and expensive way to get medication. Can anybody help please? I feel like we’re being shafted.

Thanks.

John.

Offline pam1

• Donator
Re: Vet Prescription Help/Advice Plz.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi, my Ollie has Optimmune. I get a prescription for 6months supply and my vet only charges £7 for a prescription. £20 is a bit excessive >:(
I buy mine from petdrugsonline at £30 a tube.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »
This sounds naughty to me.  I agree with Pam it is high

My vet did not stock a certain flea/tick treatment I use and asked couple years back if they could get it and price quoted was  higher than online sales which required prescription.  I explained this and they said they could write prescription.  It was then she mentioned cost an buying power and stocking only most popular and needed items. The little guy can't compete with larger ones. No quibble with private prescription, I got the impression it was less hassle than them stocking something not everyone wanted.

But £90 is a lot my vets sees Ollie every three months(due to his health) and it is £20 something plus meds never more than £30 and his monthly meds are less than £10.  So I have not looked to buy elsewhere.

I would ask to clarify if this is correct with vet and ask what the £90 cost was and can they break it down.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 08:56:44 PM »
The £90 sounds more like a 3 month supply. That’s what I get for Archie. I pay £13 for the prescription and that covers 3 months (3 tubes) which I buy from whoever happens to be cheapest at the time. It usually works out between £80 - £90 a time.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
Hi,
Thanks so much for the helpful replies and sorry I’ve taken ages to reply. Life sort of gets in the way!
I’ve still not sorted the prescription out as a friend sent two tubes from France.
Our current vet will only issue a monthly prescription for one tube, they won’t email or post it. I don’t want to go to the surgery as it’s very busy and there are no covid safety measures. They are charging £20.00 per prescription. Apart from the cost I’d rather order at least 3 tubes at once opposed to monthly order, it just seems a costly hassle.

Really appreciate the help.

John.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Often its about economies of scale as the vet practices can't even buy from their suppliers at the cost you get it online (I know as I am friends with various vet nurses).

To be honest you are saving 60 a month this way anyway if I read it correctly.

Shame they won't email it though as if you buy online its easier then to file and upload (it may be they don't have a scanner but they usually do have a printer). Mine only started emailing to me over past 2 years.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
The £90 sounds more like a 3 month supply. That’s what I get for Archie. I pay £13 for the prescription and that covers 3 months (3 tubes) which I buy from whoever happens to be cheapest at the time. It usually works out between £80 - £90 a time.

No the 90 quid is how much the vets charge if you get it from them for 1 month's supply - optimmune is very expensive and as I said earlier vets can't actually buy it for the cost you buy online (I have friends who know how much things cost as online suppliers can buy at a massively reduced cost whereas vets can't - I was told even though they buy at the same place the suppliers hike up for vet practices as they probably aren't buying as much stock each time especially if they might only buy 1 or 2 items when needed as the last thing they want is stuff not to be used and go out of date then chucked away)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
Hi, thanks for the help everybody. Penny thanks for explaining about the pricing.
I called the vets and asked them to re-issue the prescription and change it to a 3 month supply opposed to 1 month. I was planning to drive over and collect the new one. They called back to say that they need to see the dog every month before prescribing each tube, that this is the safest way to check if the medicine is working. If this was the case why were we given a prescription at all since we were sold a tube for £90.00? A follow up apt wasn’t booked or discussed and we’re still using it. They can’t give us an appointment for a further two weeks “unless we take an emergency appointment costing £70.00.”
I asked why the medicine had been changed as the Dry Eye hasn’t changed but a reason isn’t on file and that vet wasn’t available to ask.

This isn’t about the money or prescription cost. None of it sounds right. This confusion might be because we are allowed into the waiting room but not into the consultation room so there’s no communication with the actual vet.

I can’t see any physical difference after 5 weeks of using the Optimmune but I’m not a vet!

Have a good weekend everyone.

John.

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
Hi
Well Ollie has been on Optimmune for about 2/3 years now and has an ‘eye’ check up every 6 months to make sure all is ok.
I think if I were you I would change vets as from what you describe they seem a bit money orientated!
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »
Thanks Pam,I called a new surgery this afternoon and a vet rang me back. i’m taking both dogs in for a check up on Tuesday. It’s a smaller firm and feels like the right way forward.
John

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 09:23:36 AM »
Hope the new vets is better, let us know how you get on  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
Sounds like a good move to me, it's a shame when vets look at your pets and only see potential £££'s  >:(

:bestwishes:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
I hate it when one of the first questions when you register at a new vets after the pet’s name, age, breed, colour etc is whether you are insured and with who.  Why is this important to them?  As my girls got older i could no longer afford to insure them due to the ridiculously high quotes and when I took them to the vets i made a point to tell them they were not insured.  I am convinced the vets adjusted their prices accordingly.  I put money aside each month based on what their premiums were the last time i could afford to pay the prices.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 10:43:25 AM »
I too think it is a better option to look at a smaller practice....my Ol is on steroids and has a review every three months, £23 including the tabs. I phone then monthly and collect meds.  Smaller practice :D

I always get the feeling it is about the animals health and clients dedication to animal that is important to them.  During the lockdown of last Feb/March they even had policy of asking you to call back and pay rather than you going into surgery.

Fingers crossed plus I understand it is about it just not feeling right....it doesn't to me either!
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed