Author Topic: Has anyone helped their rescue overcome fear of visitors?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline mymils

Has anyone helped their rescue overcome fear of visitors?
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:39:56 PM »
We have had our  wcs for 3 months now and she is our only dog.
She is an exbreeder and approximately 6 years old. Tbh she has been amazing and has overcome many issues in such a short time. She still doesn't like the TV on and so she won't settle in the living room yet.
She loves her walks and does lots of zoomies. She loves muddy puddles.
The big issue for us is when anyone comes to the house she is very frightened and shows this by snarling and barking at them. She also seems to aim for the back of legs and nipped my adult son when he was walking out the room.  I usually put her in her crate as it's her safe place but I'm not sure if I'm making things worse doing this? If anyone else has had a frightened rescue I would be grateful for any advice. Do they overcome their fear of anyone coming to the house eventually? ( she is great when walking and is good with people and other dogs when outside)

Offline ips

Re: Has anyone helped their rescue overcome fear of visitors?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »
Sorry I can't help as I have no experience of such things. ..BUT ...well done you for adopting her she is lucky to have you .....,👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Re: Has anyone helped their rescue overcome fear of visitors?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 08:13:35 AM »
My cocker Maisie is a rescue.  Maisie is deaf and was extremely anxious when I first got her.  I have now had Maisie for 18 months and she is still not keen on visitors.  One particular friend who visits most weeks is now allowed to stroke her head but if she tries to touch Maisie's body she backs off.  Maisie used to bark and sometimes growl at visitors and would eye anyone who entered the house with great suspicion.  I don't think lockdown had helped because none of us have probably had the amount of visitors to our house we would normally have over the past 18 months.

Maisie is getting much better but it has taken a long time and I honestly think if she could have her way most people would not be allowed into my house.  With me she is a total cuddle monster.  It does take a long time and a lot of patience.