Author Topic: Daisy Has Had A Phantom Pregnancy  (Read 877 times)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Daisy Has Had A Phantom Pregnancy
« on: October 11, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
Oh well. I got home from work this afternoon and Daisy's 'lump' had burst. It looked really red and angry at lunch time so I thought it was only a matter of time.

The gunk from inside was all over her bless her and the hole in the lump was red and bleeding. So, another trip to the vets, just to get a collar to stop her licking herself .. or so I though.

Daisy's tests had come back, test on the lump and blood tests, and she has had a phantom pregnancy and because of it had a cyst on her mammary gland. She is now on medication to end the hormones of the 'pregnancy' and has more antibiotics to help the cyst heal. Poor girl.

It does all make sense now though. Daisy has been odd for a good few weeks, snapping at the cat, being over protective of her monkey toy and just generally being a bit miserable at times. Not to mention her swolen teats. I can't believe I missed all the signs to be honest, I feel really bad.

So, now at least we know the problem.

BTW does anyone have any tips for putting a plastic collar over thier dogs head? The vet gave me one that is already fastened securely and Daisy will not let it anywhere near her head. I've chased her around for a bit  :blink: but I don't want to stress her out any more. Does she really need it on, will the cyst not heal if she licks it?

:blink:  :blink:

Where's my wine ..!
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:15:32 PM »
Aaaww bless her.  Don't beat yourself up.  Glad she is OK.  Ive no suggestions re collar.  Bailey had one that fastened, if we took it off, we unfastened it and then fastened it back on again.

Im not sure if she really needs it.  I would guess so.  Maybe a t-shirt would work.  :)

Good luck  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »
You will only need the coller if she contantley licks  the wound. A shirt otr tshirt as previously mentioned is agood idea I have often used that method.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:38:09 PM »
Aww poor Daisy..no wonder she has been miserable, bless her  ;) ...hope she is feeling better soon...gentle hugs for her xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:38:45 PM »
Bless her. Don't you beat yourslef up, at least you niticed it, some woners wouldn't! The collar is to stop her licking the wound - it won't heal so well if she does, or as quickly, and can become infected. If she's supervised I wouldn't bother but if you are leaving her alone, you may need to. A t shirt, or even a light bandage for a short period is an idea.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:40:42 PM »
Poor Daisy :(  Hope she feels better soon
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 08:45:53 PM »
Poor Daisy :(  Hope she starts to feel better soon. Can't help with the collar though! Hope you both get on ok with it.
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.