Author Topic: Barf  (Read 16834 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2005, 09:16:16 AM »
I wasn't being smug - I was being honest.  Perhaps you got the wrong end of the stick.  I am honestly telling you that before I fed this way, I had exactly the same attitude as you do - why can't you accept that - without labelling me as smug.  If you haven't fed this way - you can't actually compare the two ways of feeding.  I have fed 5 dogs on a raw diet now, and there is a huge difference between the ones I kibble fed (Burns) and now.
I fed Saffy on BARF for a year when she had SLE which is a polysystemic auto immune disease - she had polyarthritis, glomerulonephritis, vasculitis - the list was long.  All the vets who treated her were amazed she survived as long as she did - certainly the glomerulonephritis would have killed her had she not been fed on an organic chemical free diet.  I know lots of people on my Auto immune group who feed raw including dogs who have IMTP, AIHA and other AI diseases, with excellent results - one dog in particular springs to mind - he had masticatory myositis - chewing raw bones re-built all the muscle he had lost around his skull.
What meats do you all think go into kibble ? :unsure:
[snapback]156411[/snapback]

I don't have to have taken heroin to know I don't want to either. I have looked at the diet, taken extensvie advice, and feel strongly it's not something I ewant to do. Why can't you accept that instead of insisting that people who don't BARF just haven't been converted yet? It's possible that they just don't agree.

This website is one of the millions that point out the dangers, dangers that I have unfortunately seen at work. My ogs don't get sticks, so they don't get bones that they can swallow either.
http://secondchanceranch.org/training/raw_...estimonies.html

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2005, 09:18:49 AM »
And this quote from the same site says it really well for me..

*Advocates of a raw meat/bone diet make a giant leap from a low quality kibble to raw, skipping over a more common sense solution. A home-made diet with cooked meat. Any initial results they might see are a result of an "absence" of one or more ingredients of the kibble - NOT the "presence" of raw meat. I believe there is a balance between raw and kibble. I am very much in favor of home-made diets made with cooked meat and grains, raw veggies and fruits, as long as you have researched your dog's current health status and breeding history if possible. I feed a high quality kibble, heavily supplemented with fresh food and herbs.*
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Scootysmum

• Site Member
  • Scoots, mum Molly and sis Daisy on 3rd b-day!
Barf
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
Scooter is fed on James Well Beloved which he adores. He is such a hoover (he should be called Dyson) he will eat anything in his path...!! Particularly partial to raw carrots (he plays with them first, before he scoffs them). :P

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Barf
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2005, 01:37:16 PM »
When you say the quality in the kibble is better, is this in all kibble or do you feed organic kibble?

No - not all kibble is better -its worth visiting the websites of the diferent manufactures to see what each of them contain - if they don't SAY its organic, then its not  :lol:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

Barf
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2005, 10:21:52 PM »

But Burns doesn't have chemicals or coulors in it either, neither does naturediet.
[snapback]156566[/snapback]

But they aren't organic, and that was the point I was replying to here.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Barf
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
But they aren't organic, and that was the point I was replying to here.
[snapback]156868[/snapback]

Actually, one of the products in their range is .....

From the Burns Pet Nutrition website

ORGANIC
95%+ organic ingredients (unlike many so-called organic pet foods)

Contains: Organic Rice, Organic Oats,
Organic Barley, Organic Fish, Fish Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins.

Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 18.5%, Oil 7.5%, Fibre 4.0%, Ash 4.5%, Vit A 8000 iu/kg, Vit D 1500 iu/kg, Vit E 50iu/kg, Moisture 8%, Copper 15mg/kg, Sodium 0.16%, Calcium 0.73%, EFA 3.28%, Carbohydrates 57.5%
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

Barf
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »
This website is one of the millions that point out the dangers, dangers that I have unfortunately seen at work. My ogs don't get sticks, so they don't get bones that they can swallow either.
http://secondchanceranch.org/training/raw_...estimonies.html
[snapback]156567[/snapback]

http://bestfrisbeedogs.com/diets.html click on Billinghurst Rebuttal.

Ok one of Burns foods is organic - but wow look at the amount of grain in that..... :unsure:

Shona - I do accept that people don't want to feed raw - but I still don't see why you can't accept that I felt like that too.  You can't compare raw food being fed to a canine, to heroin given to a human.  Raw meat and bones ARE a canines natural diet.
Anyway the Billinghurst rebuttal says it all far better than I can. :)