Author Topic: Insurance - Advice  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance - Advice
« on: November 03, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »
I know, I know - I hate to ask but I'm hoping some one here can give me some advise.

A few months back Aug/Sept time the vet suggested that we have allergy tests carried out on Ruffy as he frequently brought up bile in the morning and had a squirty tummy, he was also developing some bald patches.

She asked if my insurance would cover this type of testing and said to check with them which I did, they said that they did support this sort of testing - More Than.

So we went ahead and I paid the bill £176 for the test.

Now, when Ruffy was a very young puppy, he ate poo a few times and ended up with me having to take him to the vet.

Where he was sucessfully treated.

The insurance company wrote to me saying that they were contacting the vet for more info and that they would be in touch.

Any comments gratefully recieved.
This morning I recieved a letter from them saying that they were refusing my claim - stating the clause that quotes . exclusion if the illness first showed clinical signs before the policy started, or within 28 days of the policy starting.

My gripe is why on earth didn't my vet suggest these episodes could be related when she suggested the test in the first place.

Also we took the plolicy out on April, so if the condition was pre-existing why wasn't an exclusion stated on my policy.

I've contacted More Than and they have said they can only go on my vets advice, so I have asked the vet to call me.

I want to see a copy of the letter she sent to More Than.

I don't grude the money as it did give me some answers, but if this is the case I may as well stop the direct debit and pay the money into a vet account each month.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Insurance - Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
What was the result of the poo eating? Was he determined to have anything wrong and treated for it, or was it just normal puppy stuff which a lot of them do?

If just normal then I'd be inlined to argue it, otherwise most people would have their policies refused as most dogs have eaten poo at some stage. Also, get the vet involved, ask for your record to see if there's something you weren't aware of that she added to it at the time, and get her to write a letter.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance - Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »
Poo eating for Ruffy was just a puppy thing and I believe if he could get away with it he'd still try it  :ph34r:

The vet said at the time just to try and stop him doing it - it had nothing to do with his allergy testing.

The vet is just off the phone and Wendy (our vet and the practise owner), has agreed to write to the insurance company and argue the case on our behalf. There was no way of knowing of his allergies at the time of his previous illnesses, or if they existed when the policy was taken out.

Interesting

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Insurance - Advice
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »
I was just about to suggest getting your vet to contact the insurance company to tell them the two conditions aren't deemed to be connected.

When I was claiming for the op Vegas had done at another vet practice, there was a bit of bother because that vet had on the itemised bill "multiple gastrointestinal biopsies" instead of exploratory laparotomy. Because Vegas has a food allergy, M&S had decided to exclude any gastrointestinal tract condition when we took the policy out which my vet thought was very extreme. My vet was just about to contact them and tell them that in his opinion, there was no connection but they eventually paid up - almost 3 months later :o

I really hope you get a satisfactory outcome ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Sue H

Insurance - Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 06:46:17 PM »
How can they possibly say that his present condition is in any way related to having eaten poo as a puppy (which they ALL do, and normally any resulting upsets are probably unrelated ...) ???

Doooo make a fuss, and make them say exactly why they are refusing your claim, so that we can all make fun of them and pass on the news ...!!

A lot of companies take you on before they have Vet's reports back, but their caveat surely can't extend after the time when they actually ARE in receipt of any relevant prior information - they should then contact you and let you know about any exclusions they think are appropriate ...

I think this smells a bit like an Insurer trying their best to wriggle out of something (unless there is a conecting thread which you haven't mentioned ..)

I moved to M & S since they give excellent cover and their premiums are very good, but I haven't actually run up against anything like what is happening to you ... it is almost like saying an ingrowing toenail could give rise to a hip replacement - if they want to try it on, they are the ones with all the legal backup and your money and you are just the innocent punter who was trying to do the best thing for your dog ...

Dooo give us more info, and let us know how all this progresses ... I think insurance is a hefty issue and we all need to know if there is a company out there which is trying to wriggle off a particular hook ...!!

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance - Advice
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 07:59:33 PM »
I'll definately keep you all informed - either way I think once it's settled (one way or another, probably in their favour  :rolleyes: ) I'll finish off with them - I'm pretty discusted actually.

I'd really like to see the first letter the vet sent.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Insurance - Advice
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »
It might be worth checking what the current guidelines are from the Financial Services Authority, too  :huh:

When we completed the claim for for Molo's recent treatment, and passed it to our vet, they completed it and returned it to us with a note (dated September 2005) as follows:

"We would like to bring you up to date with current FSA policy for the completion of insurance forms........we request that you pay us.... and then claim it back by submitting your claim form to us to complete. In the past we have then been able to post this form off for you......however we have been advised that we can no longer do this and we should return the form to you for you to check and sign...."

I wonder if the FSA also advises vets to forward any further infomation required by the insurance company via the insured clients...... <_<
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club