Author Topic: Hamish Bit Me  (Read 14058 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 01:21:09 PM »
the Tardac injection is a depressant, its an injection of female hormones and can make a dog with any issues very depressed and harder to interact with, it doesn't simulate actual castration.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Penel

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
I wouldn't do Tardac - have heard some really bad reactions to it - basically it lowers inhibitions and *can* cause even worse problems.  :(

Offline PennyB

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »
I wouldn't do Tardac - have heard some really bad reactions to it - basically it lowers inhibitions and *can* cause even worse problems.  :(
[snapback]182508[/snapback]

I've heard this as well. I believe it has its uses but not on dogs with issues already.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
Well, have spoken to his vet, and loads of the other ons too, I was on at the busy hospital surgery last night. Basically, they think castration is appropriate, so I can book him in there and get him done.

He's going to have a blood count, clotting factor test, and pre anaesthetic bloods done before they do him, on the same day. If there's any problems with any of the results we'll need to think again, but looks like Hamish will be a Jaffa shortly.

Thanks for all the opinions. :)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »
Awww Ham the jaffa - bless his wee heart.

Hope all goes well for him come the time Shona.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
Dobbie needs doing, can we do a BOGOF and then they can sympathise with each other :D Its not fair, my vet charges £69 for a 10 kilo and under dog, and £99 for over - Dobbie is 11 and they say they won't weigh him once he has no nadges to add extra weight :ph34r:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »
Ours is £85,plus PAB's £30 odd, which he needs. Just don't feed him for a day and he'll sneak under, or get a nice receptionist to poggle the scales ;)  :lol:

After all the bloods and clotting test, I'll be skint. Lucky I get a discount.

Penel

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »
Put Dobbie on a diet Freya :lol:

good luck with Hamish's op Shona - good planning to do all the tests right beforehand I'm sure he'll be fine... :)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 07:19:09 PM »

good luck with Hamish's op Shona - good planning to do all the tests right beforehand I'm sure he'll be fine... :)
[snapback]182859[/snapback]

I know, it's irrational I suppose, but I'm getting quite upset about it. Terrified he's going to hate me after :ph34r:

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »

I know, it's irrational I suppose, but I'm getting quite upset about it. Terrified he's going to hate me after :ph34r:
[snapback]182894[/snapback]

I never think like that, girls are harder, boys don't worry me. Paddy didn't even noticethey were gone :lol:
Dobbie is a little rake already so a diet would count as starvation - going through the working cocker - run around and burn off more than you eat as you grow stage :lol:

Offline PennyB

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 08:57:04 PM »

[snapback]182894[/snapback]

I never think like that, girls are harder, boys don't worry me. Paddy didn't even noticethey were gone :lol:
Dobbie is a little rake already so a diet would count as starvation - going through the working cocker - run around and burn off more than you eat as you grow stage :lol:
[snapback]182948[/snapback]

I'm the same, I don't think like that either. Cassie was spayed 10 days ago and you wouldn't even notice (she even had 13 teeth out at same time). She was a bit dopy the same night and even then she got excited to go out for a walk when I went to go to the shops (I left her at home of course). Next day she was raring to go. Both Wilf and Ruby sailed through theirs as well (as did Rocky the foster cocker). All of them have managed to keep good weights as well so none are fat.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »
I managed to miss the rest of this post some-how and PennyB pointed it out to me.  My vet suggested castration AND tardak for Mikey - at the same time - as he was behaving a bit like Hamish.

From what she told me it would be the best thing.  I am definately not having it now!!.  Thanks for posting about this - I didn't know it would lower inhabitions, I wouldn't want this at all.

The vet also suggested having Mikey and Herbie done but i'm not sure.  Herbie is 7 months do you think he's to young?  Mikey is only 9 months but I am sure that castration is right for him.

Shona, when is Hamish being done?
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »
my boys were done at 7 months and were fine.
As for the Tardak, one of my closest friends had a dog given Tardak and it went on to nearly kill another dog, she has really researched it and spoke to one of the foremost vet experts and he said of course it would affect the dog, its a depressant and so the dog would be unhappy and the only thrill it got was from showing agression - scarey considering he was a fully grown bull mastiff.
I know of another dog that was fine on Tardak but was definately alot mre subdued and depressed than actual castration, which didn't affect my boys at all :)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 10:20:06 PM »
I managed to miss the rest of this post some-how and PennyB pointed it out to me.  My vet suggested castration AND tardak for Mikey - at the same time - as he was behaving a bit like Hamish.

From what she told me it would be the best thing.  I am definately not having it now!!.  Thanks for posting about this - I didn't know it would lower inhabitions, I wouldn't want this at all.

The vet also suggested having Mikey and Herbie done but i'm not sure.  Herbie is 7 months do you think he's to young?  Mikey is only 9 months but I am sure that castration is right for him.

Shona, when is Hamish being done?
[snapback]184166[/snapback]

I have seen this thread but not yet mentioned that after discussion with my vet ... Ben had the Tardak injection last Thursday.  At 7 months he was humping anything (male or female - head end or rear end  :ph34r: ) He was also humping both me and my daughter.  I decided to go with the injection as I think he's too young for surgery.  The result is ................. no change with the humping and today he had a 'go' at another spaniel + he 'curled his lip and snarled' at me for not letting him get at a twix bar :ph34r:  This may just be the Kevin phase and the humping may stop tomorrow but I won't have the Tardak again - just go straight for the castration later.  I did read reviews before going ahead and phoned the vet twice + the consultation befopre taking the decision. Other dogs may benefit but not my wayward Ben  :rolleyes: I'll let you all know if things improve.

One lesson I've learned is to trust you guys  ;)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »
Oh no, Debbie I hope all is going to be OK.  Have you been back to the Vet?  I am really angry that my vet suggested this.

How long does the injection take to wear off? and are these effects long lasting?
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx