Author Topic: One testicle  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
One testicle
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:22:35 PM »
Can someone please clear this up for me;

can a dog with one testicle (the other was removed as it did not decsend) be shown under kennel club rules?

thanks!!

Sam
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
Re: One testicle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:27:23 PM »
As far as I know, kennel club breed standards state something along the lines of "a male dog should have two fully descended testicles".  As I don't show tho, I may be wrong!   ph34r
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 09:35:52 PM »

Ok thanks! I don't mind really as I know he's a true champion anyway!!! He's tiny anyway so he'll be more likely to be a FTCh!!!
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline GrahamT

• Site Member
  • kie 9 months (photo tracy morgan)
    • http://www.jalankiucockerspaniels.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:33:48 PM »
Can someone please clear this up for me;

can a dog with one testicle (the other was removed as it did not decsend) be shown under kennel club rules?

thanks!!

Sam
it may be worth getting in touch with the kennel club if you want to show him in some cases if surgery has to be done for the well being of the animal they may allow it good luck

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »
Technically you can show anything - but if a dog has been surgically altered then you need persmission from the KC. But you would expect thejudge to make appropriate adjustments to their scoring for deviating from the breed standard. If your dog is an excellent example of the breed in many other ways then he could still do OK, but Cockers are a popular breed and their numbers are high for show entries.

As an aside, any dog that has had treatment for undescended testicles should not be used as breeding stock. ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:36:19 PM »

I know i'd never breed pedigreee dogs from him - I'm saving him for a hot whippet bitch to get a cracking rabbiting dog :P ! besides anything he's a runt and is very small, so he'd be too small for the breed standard. He walks great though and he shouts " **** you, i am the greatest!" so it is a shame.

Though i'd say thats a bit strict not to breed - i forget the name but one of the top track greyhound sires of the 70's and 80's only had one testicle. I don't see that it's a genetic thing - though you'd have to make the purchaser fully aware.

Sam

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
Pammy, in the USA apparently they can do testicular implants. Would that be prohibited? I know it's an odd question but I was reading an article at work about it, and it just came to me when I read this.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »
It *shd* be Shona. I remember reading of a male which was shown within the UK, the dog so they thought, had one testicle so they went ahead and arranged to have an implant. Little did they know, once the dog was shipped off to the US. It reached its destination with 3  :lol:, from the pressure of the flight the other had dropped - I’m sure his new owners were gob smacked  :005:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:13:18 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 11:33:51 PM »

I don't really think that a testicular probelm should be enough to stop a dog from competing - if he had another veterinary issue, e.g. diabetes, he would be allowed to enter.

Sam

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 10:09:20 AM »
I have read recently that you should not breed from a dog who had an undecended testicle as it is an hereditary condition and is therefore likely to be passed on. As there is an increased risk of testicular cancer associated with undescended testes then I would imagine it would be irresponsible to proceed with using him to mate with any bitch.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 10:14:36 AM »
I have read recently that you should not breed from a dog who had an undecended testicle as it is an hereditary condition and is therefore likely to be passed on. As there is an increased risk of testicular cancer associated with undescended testes then I would imagine it would be irresponsible to proceed with using him to mate with any bitch.

I thought this may be the case about the herediatary connection.

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »

Well it wouldn't stop me from breeding - if he did get one with an undescended testicle it's easy to sort out, it's different situation to not breeding from a mentally ill dog, or any condition that cannot be sorted out.

Anyway, if what u say about not breeding from him is true, then that wud mean his father should be stopped from covering - if it is a genetic thing then my dog got it from his father, who could get more undescending-testicle dogs, couldn't he? :P

Sam

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
Indeed he could Sam and a reputable breeder would want to know that this had happened so that the dog could be removed from the gene pool.

Sadly less reputable breeders do not take such care . Your comment that it wouldn't stop you using him is worrying, along with the fact that he is small too makes it even more so that you would consider him a suitable sire..
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »
I have to ask the question? why on earth would anyone want to breed from a dog that:

A) only has one testicle
B ) is a runt and small (your words not mine)
c) is anxious and shy (again your words not mine)

Breeding is about improving the breed, anyone breeding from the above is doing it for other reasons!