Author Topic: One testicle  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
Re: One testicle
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 05:06:32 PM »

a) why should one testicle be a problem

b) he is small as he was the runt and got very little of his mums milk at the vital stage, it is not a genetic trait that he can pass on to his offspring

c) he was anxious and shy - he is the opposite now, he took time to grow into himself

I breed because I enjoy it and like selling ppl healthy, fun puppies - frankly i think sum people breed just to win rosettes and make themsleves a name. I don't and never will judge a dog on paper like you just have - i'll judge by what I seeand know myself.
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »
Indeed he could Sam and a reputable breeder would want to know that this had happened so that the dog could be removed from the gene pool.

Sadly less reputable breeders do not take such care . Your comment that it wouldn't stop you using him is worrying, along with the fact that he is small too makes it even more so that you would consider him a suitable sire..

I think you will find that a dog like him is small because he was very ill at 2 weeks of age and again at six weeks and only just got through - and because he had a lot of trouble feeding.

"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 05:11:01 PM »

Anyway a sire's credentials are judged by his offspring, not himself or what he acheived.

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »

anyway why u want to know all this stuff, and hips and eyes when u dont ask what a breeder feeds his dogs; how fit his bitches are coming up to whelping; what excercise etc the puppies are given prior to sale, and all these other husbandry issues?? because these things are just as important, yet aren't checked on.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
 Whoppit I do not understand where you are coming from at all????????

And for the record I asked my breeder about Hip and Eyes but I also asked about feeding, about the bitches previous experiences of whelping and all the other questions you have suggested.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 05:50:30 PM »
I must admit, what the bitches were fed was not top of my list of priorities when looking for a puppy ::) Those are the types of questions that should be asked once you are satisified that both dogs are of a suitable temperament & type to be bred from and have had the recommended health tests. To suggest that health testing & temperament shouldn't be a priority is very irresponsible. You will find that the majority of cocker puppies will go to pet homes - it's not just people who show or breed who deserve a healthy puppy so you cannot use the fact that you just breed for the pet market as an excuse not to eye test. I'd run a mile from a breeder like you >:D

Mind you, I do have an entire male here (both testicles present & correct) who I had hoped to breed from but had deemed him unsuitable due to the fact that he is small, nervous & has a possible hereditary problem. Now I know that those aren't good enough reasons NOT to breed from him, I think I'll nip across to the park later and find him a girlfriend. I have a difficult choice ahead however - a litter of mediocre cockers with probable health problems (its okay though, they will just be pets!) or, if there are no cockers about, he could just contribute to yet another litter of much wanted mongrels ::)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »

b) he is small as he was the runt and got very little of his mums milk at the vital stage, it is not a genetic trait that he can pass on to his offspring

c) he was anxious and shy - he is the opposite now, he took time to grow into himself

I breed because I enjoy it and like selling ppl healthy, fun puppies - frankly i think sum people breed just to win rosettes and make themsleves a name. I don't and never will judge a dog on paper like you just have - i'll judge by what I seeand know myself.

a) why would you risk breeding with a dog who could produce more puppies with only one testicle?

b) you are assuming that this is the reason he is small, you do not KNOW this.  What if he was destined to be a small dog any way, and therefore not a good example of the breed? Again why would you risk producing more small puppies who may also stuggle to get enough of their mothers milk?

c) Why risk producing puppies who may not 'grow into themselves' surely this will increase the chance of them not settling well in new homes.

I am afraid I too cannot understand where you are coming from :huh:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
Mind you, I do have an entire male here (both testicles present & correct) who I had hoped to breed from but had deemed him unsuitable due to the fact that he is small, nervous & has a possible hereditary problem. Now I know that those aren't good enough reasons NOT to breed from him, I think I'll nip across to the park later and find him a girlfriend. I have a difficult choice ahead however - a litter of mediocre cockers with probable health problems (its okay though, they will just be pets!) or, if there are no cockers about, he could just contribute to yet another litter of much wanted mongrels ::)

EXACTLY!
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »

I can't quote all your posts at once but I'll start with the above:

I have known people hand rear puppies due to Mum having no milk and they have made normal size.
Would you breed from a dog with one eye...just because it's for "pet people"?? because it doesn't really matter! for gods sake EVERY puppy deserves the VERY best wether it be for show or not, showing does not come into it, breeding as close as possible to the breed standard does and so does being responsible. I think it goes without saying that of course the bitch should be up to the same standard but everything else you have mentioned would be way down the bottom of my list when looking for a puppy. Health screening, temperament and type would be at the very top of my list wether I was a "pet owner" or not.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
I think this thread has run its course and can see no benefit in letting run on any more.

Sam is either trying to wind people up or seriously needs to look at his/her breeding practises.

I hope that Sam will view the responses here positively and take them to heart. All the responses come from people who love the Cocker Spaniel breed and who are passionate about healthy puppies being produced for all the right reasons to the highest standards possible which is the only breeding ethos that COL supports.

Thread now locked.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional