Author Topic: Show Lead  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Show Lead
« on: February 28, 2003, 08:45:13 PM »
Had varied advice on the type of show lead to use for Inca. Could anyone please advise as to the best type and also where i can buy one other than at shows (need plenty of practice beforhand ;D)

Thanks Sandra :)                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show Lead
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 11:15:49 PM »
Hi Sandra

Here's a recent thread on show leads :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=279

You'll find everyone has their own personal preferences on which type of show lead to go for - some prefer nylon slip leads & some prefer the thin leather slip leads (more expensive option!) It's entirely up to you :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Show Lead
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 09:48:40 AM »
Thanks Jane
The one that i am looking for is the thin leather one with the toggle action. I have looked at the sites and noticed that one is advertised as a slip lead and another advertised as a show set. I appologise for my ignorance( being a complete novice and all that) but is the show set the one with the toggle ??? Don't want to let Inca down by thinking he has a thick mummy ;D
Thanks again
Sandra                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show Lead
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 10:36:57 AM »
I don't think you want the one described as a "show set" as these have half-check collars with a chain section - you don't see many Cocker people using them. The leather slip leads advertised on the Hub site seem to operate with a brass ring rather than a toggle. We have one of the leather leads with a toggle but it was specially made & cost about £15 a few years ago - I've never actually seen them on sale "over the counter" I can't remember who we ordered ours from but perhaps Pam can? We tend to use the nylon leads more as it doesn't matter so much if you lose one at a show & they are easy to bung in the washing machine when they get grubby. Perhaps you could start with a nylon lead to begin with then upgrade to a leather one once you start going to shows?                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show Lead
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »
Both my leather leads were bought at local shows from a chap who makes them - £15 each. I started with a nylon lead like Jane suggests. At least with them you know what you are buying. The thing with leather that would make me a but nervous about buying mail order is finding one you like the feel of as leather can vary. Mine are lovely a soft and a delight to hold.

If you like Sandra - I would be happy to lend you my nylon and black leather lead as I don't show Jasper at the mo so am not using it. Then you can see for yourself which you prefer and also if you are going to take to showing or not - not everyone does ;)

No-one will judge Inca any differently because he has a nylon rather than a leather lead - it's a question of which one you are better able to handle and are therefore more confident with as that is what will help show Inca the best.

Mail me privately if yu would like to borrow one or the other or both :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Tina

• Site Member
Show Lead
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 11:02:45 PM »
I too was looking for the specific leather show leads for many months at champ shows without success. At the LKA I spoke to the chap from Luxway who showed me his brochure.

The leather 'Show set' which I wanted had to be mail ordered via the brochure as they are hand made. I ordered two (black one & tan one) at a cost of about £21 each.  They took a couple of weeks to come and I am very pleased with them.  Hope this helps, I still have Luxways details if you want them.                    

Offline Tina

• Site Member
Show Lead
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 11:09:37 PM »
Hello, its me again,

Just found the web site for Luxway in case you want to have a look http://www.luxway.freeserve.co.uk/catalog.htm

Hope it works.... Jane