Author Topic: Showing Question  (Read 1107 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Showing Question
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this showing business, so just wondered if someone could please explain to me what the difference between an Open and Championship show is?  I'm looking to start entering Henry for some shows, but don't want to turn up at the wrong sort!

Thanks,

Ally
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Re: Showing Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »
Hello  :blink:
At champ shows you can qualify for crufts but only in certain classes i think they are minor puppy,puppy,junior,yearling,post graduate.,limit and also open.

At open shows you cant qualify and most people do them with there new puppies and them move up to the champ shows.

There are also shows called limit shows so if you do them and get best of breed that qualifys you for crufts :D
HTH

Offline FRANCES

• Site Member
    • http://www.franaillecockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:50:46 AM »
Hi I don't think getting best of breed at a limit show qualifies you for crufts? At certain premier shows if you get best of breed you can qualify tho.  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »
Ally - sorry to hijack this thread but had to say I had a look at Henry's homepage and the pic of him sitting half on the rug and half on the wooden floor looking up at the camera is the CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I love your avatar pic as well, he's got such a wee fat nose in it, he's adorable!!  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
Hi Ally

As Sarah has said you can qualify for Crufts at Champ Shows by gaining either a 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the following classes - Minor Puppy, Puppy, Junior, Special Yearling, Post Graduate, Limit and Open.  Also by gaining a 1st, 2nd or 3rd in Limit or Open you gain your Stud Book no and the dog qualifies for Crufts for life  :D :D

With Open Shows (or the ones here in Guernsey) you have to win Best Puppy in Show, or Best or Reserve Best in Show to qualify for Crufts !!

If you just want to have a go and see how you get on I would suggest going to an Open Show - the classes should be smaller and it will be more relaxed.  The Champ Shows are huge with big entries and can be very daunting to a newbie  ;)

HTH

Dessie  ;)

Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »
Thanks everyone! Makes a bit more sense now!  It's all very complicated tho!!

Nicola - Thank you for your lovely comments.  Henry is feeling a bit embarassed now!!!
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:13:50 PM »
You could try going to a companion show first. You can just turn up on the day and enter. To enter open and champ shows you have to send an entry off weeks in advance. Companion shows  usually have pedigree classes and some novelty classes i.e. prettiest bitch, best condition etc.  They are usually good fun, you can win some quite good prizes and it is a good way of getting into showing. :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman