Author Topic: Paddy's in hospital...and a cautionary tale about insurance for new puppy owners  (Read 9747 times)

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
Vet has phoned to confirm that they've taken stomach, small intestinal and bowel samples for testing.  No ulceration in the stomach or small intestine, some haemorrhaging in the stomach, but really roughened and inflamed/swollen bowel, so almost certainly colitis again.  he's also anaemic because of the blood loss.  But wagging his tail and looking cute apparently.  We've been told not to go and see him this evening because arriving and then leaving him behind will be more distressing for him than just snuffling down on his own.... :'(

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and hugs for Pads - I'll be passing them on for sure tomorrow!

Denise

So sorry to hear about his illness and very good advice about insurance. How about popping a t shirt or jumper down to the vets with your scent on for him to snuggle up with tonight?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Really sorry to hear  Paddy is not well love to you all  :luv:

As for Ins I also had the 6 wks free ins from KC and had to claim with a broken jaw

I have since changed to Halifax pet ins, this is life cover, we chose them as after our research petplan had exactly the same but OH works for part of Halifax and got discount

Offline Mollie.Ladie

• Site Member
  • Mmmm I love cockers!
Oh poor paddy..poor you!  Get well soon pads..You'll be in my prayers :-*
Mollie&Christina

*Love at first sight.!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have been awful and pretty scarey for you to find him in such a state. I hope he goes on to make a quick recovery and is home with you soon.
I was fortunate in a way with Fern, in that she didn't come with any free insurance, so I got her insured straight away with Tesco and have stuck with them, even though they only pay out for the first year of any condition at least I am aware of it.
I agree that it is easy to fall foul of insurance cos. little rules and it's well worth thoroughly researching cover first. We had a springer with arthritis, liver disease and cancer and after the first year we paid for all her medication. It's what you do when you love your dogs.....
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have been awful and pretty scarey for you to find him in such a state. I hope he goes on to make a quick recovery and is home with you soon.
I was fortunate in a way with Fern, in that she didn't come with any free insurance, so I got her insured straight away with Tesco and have stuck with them, even though they only pay out for the first year of any condition at least I am aware of it.
I agree that it is easy to fall foul of insurance cos. little rules and it's well worth thoroughly researching cover first. We had a springer with arthritis, liver disease and cancer and after the first year we paid for all her medication. It's what you do when you love your dogs.....

What you have is yearly cover - it's well worth taking out a policy with lifetime cover, in case you need to claim on longer than a year - I work in a vets and a lot of people fall foul of this, then can't change companies. More than and M&S both do lifetim policis in their insurance range, I'd recommend you get one. ;)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
Poor paddy - get well soon little man. We are thinking about you :'(
sue, zak and strider
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
Sorry to hear about little Paddy. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Get well soon Paddy :luv:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
get well soon Paddy
x x x  :luv:
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
I'm so sorry to hear about Paddy. It must have been so distressing to find him like that.  :'(

I'm thinking of you and Paddy and sending our love.  :luv:

On the insurance front, I registered for the six weeks free insurance but took out my own insurance with Direct Line at the same time.  There's a fourteen day delay from taking out the insurance before you can claim so that's why I registered for the six weeks free.
I always take my own insurance straight away for exactly the reasons you have found.  It is so expensive to pay for treatment.  I have found the Direct Line policy very good. I have a lifetime policy as opposed to a yearly cover.

Although there are pitfalls with insurance I certainly couldn't be without it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
How worrying - I hope Paddy continues to recover

On the insurance front, I registered for the six weeks free insurance but took out my own insurance with Direct Line at the same time.  There's a fourteen day delay from taking out the insurance before you can claim so that's why I registered for the six weeks free.

Go careful if you plan to do this - if you do have to claim while you have two insurance policies in place, then you may end up in the middle of a fight between the companies, as they tend to have clauses that relate to other policies  :-\ In the mean time, you are waiting for your payout  ::)

Obviously, if your pup/dog hasn't been treated during any period of insurance then there is no risk when you change - but if they have had anything other than routine treatment (even if you haven't claimed on the policy) - think very carefully before changing the policy - it may have implications in years to come  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sending my love and best wishes to Paddy  :luv:  Hope he is feeling better soon. xx
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
awww hope paddys soon on the mend  :luv:

our 6 wks free ins runs out today.i'm doin a search when get off col,and will take out policy straight away.glad i read about year or life cover here though,will make sure i get life.
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017

What you have is yearly cover - it's well worth taking out a policy with lifetime cover, in case you need to claim on longer than a year - I work in a vets and a lot of people fall foul of this, then can't change companies. More than and M&S both do lifetim policis in their insurance range, I'd recommend you get one. ;)
Thnaks Shona. I didn't realise there were different types of pet insurance policy in that way, just the differences in terms and conditions between companies. I just thought an annual renewal was the norm like with other insurance. I'll look into it for Oct renewal, but Fern will be over 7 by then, wont I find it difficult to insure an older dog if I move? Tesco have said that they will insure for life, so I'm a bit confused now....
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Get well soon little man!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!