Author Topic: Insurance claim help.  (Read 4666 times)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Insurance claim help.
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
Kalli came with 6 weeks free Pet Plan cover, at her first check up at the vets with us it was dicovered that she had a heart murmur :'(. We were refered to a heart clinic for investigation where she is due to go again now. We had a bill for £550. :o She then caught a bug and was hospitalised :'(. Another £300. :o Having paid £600 for her, all this in a short space of time was a bit of a shock.

However having insurance cover we weren't too concerned.[ We took out an continuous policy with Pet Plan]. Our claim was submitted 6 weeks ago and apart from a letter to say they have recieved it, and not to contact them as it could delay their decision, wev'e heard nothing.

Could this be because if she was born with the murmur the breeder should not have taken out the policy?

If so what can we do, if anything?

It doesn't seem fair that the onus might fall on us.

Don't get me wrong shes worth every penny :luv:, but we thought we were covered, and we are still paying our premiums not knowing if the policy is any use. :huh:

I would really appreciate any help.

claim

was submitted

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Insurance claim help.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 09:24:23 PM »
The insurance company will notify you even if they will not honour the claim.  Have you contacted your vet to see if they have heard anything regarding the claim? Pet Plan are normally quite quick when dealing with claims but they may just have a backlog which will slow things up.

I'm sure the breeder would have to notify the insurance company of any problems picked up on the vet check when arranging the cover notes. The policy would then probably exclude the heart problem but that would be evident on your documents
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
Brenda - I can't believe you are still waiting to hear?  I hope the condition is covered - surely if the insurance was in place before the condition was discovered they will have to honor it?  I do seem to remember though that Ben's insurance company only covered accidents and not illness while he was under 8 weeks.  Fingers crossed that they will cough up.

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:07:43 PM »
[quote author=Gill link=topic=18286.msg223480#msg223480 date=11487614

I'm sure the breeder would have to notify the insurance company of any problems picked up on the vet check when arranging the cover notes. The policy would then probably exclude the heart problem but that would be evident on your documents
[/quote]

I know for a fact that the breeder did not declare the problem, on her visit to  the vet they was unable to hear Kalli heart properly because she was shaking so much.  I found this out after my vet discovered the murmur.

Offline munchkin

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »
pet plan have always sent us a letter saying our claim is being dealt with and then another letter follows (sometimes three or four weeks after) saying the amount they are paying out (or not)

we claimed for Annie's teeth, which cost £550 and I was really worried that they wouldn't pay out (she is a rescue) but they did.

If you are concerned I would ring pet plan, they are usually very helpful, and I'm sure it wouldn't hold up your claim(that seems a rather strange thing for them to write!)

good luck

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 08:59:56 AM »
I can't help but think that your vet has been a bit over zealous, possibly encouraged by the insurance. It is not uncommon for new puppies to have a heart murmur. The vast majority grow out of it within only a matter of weeks with absolutely no treatment being required. My Jasper had one and several other members on COL experienced the same too with their puppies.

I doubt there would have been anything for the breeder to declare tbh. Just put your claim in and see what happens but I would take a serious look at your vet ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:16:08 PM »
I can't help but think that your vet has been a bit over zealous, possibly encouraged by the insurance. It is not uncommon for new puppies to have a heart murmur. The vast majority grow out of it within only a matter of weeks with absolutely no treatment being required. My Jasper had one and several other members on COL experienced the same too with their puppies.

I doubt there would have been anything for the breeder to declare tbh. Just put your claim in and see what happens but I would take a serious look at your vet ;)

I was also going to suggest this as Wilf had one when we 1st went to the vet, and by the time he went to be chipped age 13 weeks it had gone.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:46:07 PM »

Thank you for your replys.

The breeder did suggest this at the time.  I have two vets near me, one I no longer use because I was not satisfied with their treatment, and this one I use now, which is also the same vet group that the breeder uses.

They did find a thickening of one of Kallis arteries, they want to check her again at 6 months and then at 18 months.
Do you think they are wasting our time? I don't want to neglect her, even if we do have to pay it ourselves.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 07:42:45 PM »
Loads of pups have murmurs when they are wee, and the vast majority do fine. Hamish has one.

IF the vet told the breeder it was a serious murmur, and the breeder informed the insurance, then it would be excluded. I'd get another vet to have a look at her to be honst - evn stress wise getting tests done, not just the money angle. :huh:

Just be sur and carry on paying your premiums - if ther is a problem you want to stay with them now, but absolutely you should phone Petplan - they are usually very helpful and may just have a backlog.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Decided to ring Pet Plan tomorrow to find out what the hold up is.  I will let you know the out come.  The letter I recieved from them was dated 19th April. I did have issues with them with my other dog, I suppose thats why I am so suspicious.
Thanks for your help.

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 10:39:50 PM »
I rang Pet Plan today. The person I spoke to didn't seem to know what the delay was but agreed it has been a long time. They said they would try and sort it out but didn't mention if they had accepted the claim. I did speak to another insurance company who said that as it was an exsisting condition they would not have paid up.  :huh:

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »
I have found that Pet Plan are very quick with small payouts, we had one for £128 and we had a cheque from them in about a week but when we had a big claim for over £500 it was about a month. You could just give them a call to see how it is going on, also our first claim was not long after we got Oscar. He has a problem with his shoulder joint, something he has had from when he was born and they paid out on that it just took a bit because of the amount i think. If i am right an exsisting condition is an on going condition after it was first detected, i hope you get it sorted soon.
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 10:20:38 PM »
We have finally received a cheque from Pet Plan. It seems the hold up was due to the fact that I had two policy Nos. The no.for the six weeks free, and the new permanant one that we took out.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »
That's great. I hope they have sorted themselves out now.

How is Kalli?

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 10:38:35 PM »
We have finally received a cheque from Pet Plan. It seems the hold up was due to the fact that I had two policy Nos. The no.for the six weeks free, and the new permanant one that we took out.

Thank doG for that!  Will you take Kalli for her next review?  Will they cover that too?  Kalli looks gorgeous and healthy but I know how worried you are about her - she is also a tiny little girl and that makes me (let alone you) feel very protective  :lol: :lol:

Hope to meet up with you again soon!