Author Topic: Dog insurance?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
Dog insurance?
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:04:11 PM »
hi,
ive been meaning to do this for a while but yoiu know what its like busy busy!! what insurance do we all have for our cockers? , mines 10 this october and im seriously considering insuring her for health reasons but ive heard that as the dog gets older the insurance gets more expensive!! can anybody recommend any?

Lemoniee

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: Dog insurance?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 09:07:44 PM »
Mine are insured with Halifax, but I think most people on here seem to be with M&S.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:10:48 PM »
You may not have all that much choice at 10 years of age. Back in the dark ages I remember I couldn't get a policy after my cat reached 10. It may be different now or with dogs though. Do check it out, I do think it's worth it.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
More Than have no upper age limit for taking out new policies
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:58 PM »
Try this one www.healthy-pets.co.uk i'm sure they accept older dogs and their prices are very competitive.  You can always give them a ring - they are very helpful on the phone.

Offline Andy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:50:14 PM »
Try Tesco's. We got insurance for pepper when she was 9 - I think it was about £11 per month. We also haven't had any problems when making claims...

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:16:37 AM »
My 3 cockers are insured with Pet Plan,which i,ve always used for my dogs.They have different levels of cover and no age limit.They are very fast with dealing with claims and i would highly recommend them,i,ve had no trouble with them in the past when a claim has arisen with a dog.give them a try.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 01:26:40 AM »
Mine are all insured with Direct Line. I've never had a problem with them when I've made a claim, though the payment did take 3 weeks or so.

M&S are very popular here, though as mine have had claims and although they were for one off problems I found I couldn't get cover for these things in the future so I've stuck with Direct Line.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:58:02 AM »
I used to arrange pet insurance at a Brokers and it was always the case that if you hadnt got a policy by the time the pet was 10 you had no chance !  Also some less reputable insurers simply came off cover when a pet reached a certain age.  My advice is if/when you manage to get a policy stick with it.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 07:53:27 AM »
I am with Tescos but I have realised that they will only cover any particular condition for up to one year so I will probably change to M&S who do not have a limit.  I didn't think of this when I was first looking but if your dog ends up having a long term condition this is a major consideration!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »
When I had my old dog I insured her after 8 yrs old and found that in doing this it really narrowed my choices.
More than were still willing to insure her and the cost wasn't too much. 2 years later she needed an awful lot of treatment as things started to go wrong, More than paid it all without question so I was very happy with them;.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline denisec

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »
I am with Morethan.  I choose them because there is no age limit and also you are insured for the lenght of your pets treatment, some other companies have a limit.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
Mine are insured with Halifax,

Mine are also with the Halifax or HBOS (Halifax Bank of Scotland) as they are now.

I phoned around and there was one (Can't rememver which) but they wouldn't Insure after a dog was 8 yrs and another would insure but certain conditions were not covered.
Good luck

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »
Well I've been looking at changing insurance, as Lucy is with Healthy Pets at the moment but because they only cover each seperate condition up to a limit of £5000 (for the life of the dog) i am concerned that this would not be sufficient to cover l a long term illness as she is only 17 wks old, so i'm looking to change to M&S as they have an excess free policy for younger dogs and the benefit limit is reset each year.

You are not in this position though as your dog is 10yrs old and the £5000 limit per condition is unlikely to be exceeded, the premiums are very reasonable and the excess is only £50. They will cover each seperate condition for £5000 so if your dog has two conditions they will pay up to £10000 and so on, the cover is for life as long as you keep the premiums going.

No one will cover pre-existing conditions or conditions as a result of pre-exisiting conditions

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 11:58:48 AM »
M&S cover older dogs I believe, but I think there is an excess and a percentage of the vets fees to pay.  Not sure though.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**