Author Topic: Insurance Rip Off  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
Insurance Rip Off
« on: August 01, 2006, 07:13:49 PM »
Hi

Just been looking for health insurance for my baby and have discovered that Argos, yes I did say Argos, do reasonably priced pet insurance.

That is if you've got a dog, if you've got a pedigree dog it costs a lot more!

I don't know if all insurance companies do this, but to me it seems very unfair to be penalised for choosing the breed you love.

All dogs are more or less prone to the same illnesses and accidents, so I suppose their thinking is to cover the original cost of the dog, i.e a pedigree dog cost more to purchase, but breeds like puggles which aren't classed as pedigree, (as far as I'm aware), are going for £350-£400.

Incidentally, cockerpoo, labradoodle, puggle - it's just wrong, wrong, wrong!

Sue.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Insurance Rip Off
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
Now I may be totally wrong but I think I remember being told that pedigree dogs can be more prone to illnesses than crossbreed dogs, which would explain the higher cost.

Incidentally I recently found an internet site selling a Labradoodle for £1100.  :o  which is technically a crossbreed and not a KC recognised breed.

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:51:56 PM »
It is the norm that pure bred dogs will cost more than non-specific breeds.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:43:28 PM »
Most insurance policies not only cover illness, but cost of advertising if stolen and compensation of reimbursement price if killed; a pedigree dog usually costs more (except for the "trendy" crosses like labradoodles  ::)) and is more likely to be stolen  :-\

From an insurance perspective, pedigree dogs are a greater risk/liability; you may find that some breeds are uninsurable through standard policies (sharpei's are exluded from M&S cover, for instance)  due to the higher risk they pose  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:55:17 PM »
you may find that some breeds are uninsurable through standard policies (sharpei's are exluded from M&S cover, for instance)  due to the higher risk they pose  ::)

I think sharpeis are uninsurable in a lot of policies. Someone said once it was because they were an unknown quantity :huh:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Saff

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »
Probably because they have skin problems, with their wrinkles, etc?

I have a good old 'mutt' so our insurance will be cheaper  :angel:

Saffi- Patterdale With A Bit Of Border Terrier.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
Pedigree dogs can be more prone to certain illnesses.. Certainly german shepherds are prone to hip dysplasia, show type cockers to eye problems, pugs, pekes and bulldogs to respiratory problems etc. so this probably explains it.

I agree about the hugely expensive labradoodle, cockerpoo, puggle craze - it's just wrong!  >:(
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:39:35 AM »
I've just had my renewal though for the boys from Sainburys - gone up by 50% each  :o not impressed. Will be shopping around once we've moved house as we move tomorrow/Friday so can't do it now.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
Animal Friends (underwritten by E&L) don't charge more for pedigrees or for the area you live in (alot of places charge you more if you're in London  >:D) - I know a few years ago E&L were notoriously bad but Bella's been insured with them since we had her and they've been great - paid out £2500 for dental treatment when she had her ingrowing canine as a pup and various other things as well (she had lots of niggling things wrong when she was a baby). I pay £16 a month for her for their gold cover which is treatment for the life of the condition, up to £4k per condition plus all the usual other stuff.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Denise

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
My vet told me to get insurance that will cover whatever ailment for the life of the illness even if chronic ie arthritis but we got 1 months free ins with petplan but he had mild conjunctivitis a couple of weeks ago when she completed the form and they may not cover him for this now
All seems a bit of a sham as from what I have heard cockers are prone to eye and ear problems
Never had insurance on the labs as they have very few health problems and just paid the vets bills as and when they came up
Denise

Offline Denise

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:03:43 AM »
Just spoke to Petplan there and because my pup had mild conjunctivitis before the covernote was given out they wont cover this on the policy. Seems pointless taking out the insurance as they do suffer from eye problems .What do you think?? Have never had insurance before so dont know how valuable it is!!
Denise

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:30:34 AM »
Presumably though it is only conjunctivitus they won't insure against, and not any other problems with his eyes.  :-\

Offline Denise

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
Well I hope so!
The vet seems to think they are the best so he is going for his final jabs later this morning so I will have to ask her what she thinks! :D
Denise