Author Topic: nipping  (Read 1139 times)

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
nipping
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Hiya,
i know it is quite normal for any puppy to be a bit mouthy, it's natural.
But any swift tips to help stop it?
I expect she'll stop just like that one day but just wondering if anyone has a miracle cure :005:
Peta

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: nipping
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
There are no miracles cures ;) A read of our FAQ article on play-biting should give you some tips and you'll find plenty more if you read the threads on the Puppies board as it's one of the commonest problems new owners have. HERE is the most recent thread on play biting.
Jane

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:40:09 AM »
Everytime one of my two put their teeth on me I 'yelped' very loudly and play ceased for a minute.  This stopped them everytime and within 2 days it had stopped altogether, although I was lucky mine had each other to bite instead.   :005: I think a time out works too, everytime they bite stop playing and look away or remove them or yourself from the room for a minute, then carry on as normal.  Whichever method you use they soon get the message that biting isn't a good idea. Hopefully!!!!  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:48 AM »
Saffie has been a totally  >:D when it comes to play biting. As she was my first I thought it was just me that had a devil dog but as time has gone on she has slowly stopped the biting and nipping but does occasionally revert back to her wild ways when she gets over excited when playing. I can not remember when the biting stopped but I do have scars and loads of clothes with holes in. I guess people with more than one dog have had it a bit easier as they will bite each other more and learn boundries.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »
Although I don't have a puppy, this section has assisted me because Louie has never been taught that play biting or that scrabbling with claws is wrong and at 13 months old he can REALLY hurt.

Trouble is he doesn't respond too well to squealing but we find folding our arms, turning our backs and ignoring him works.  He's soon coming back in a sit position asking for love.  We then make him do something before he gets a cuddle.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:00:22 PM »
Hi, I started a thread last week as Amber's biting was really getting me down - if I ignored her, turned my back or walked away she would still lunge at my legs, ankles,feet or clothes and hang on with her teeth!!  She nearly also took a chunk out of my daughter's face when she was on her lap which is not acceptable at all (could have been someone elses child). Shouting NO doesn't seem to have the effect it first had either!
I must admit I didn't expect the biting to be quite so bad (first time dog owners, very naive!) But this week our tack has been to put her in the kitchen away from all social activity and after some whining and then silence for a few minutes we allow her back in.  She is usually good then - for a while at least and then if it starts up again off she goes back to the kitchen!!
Good luck and I am reassured by others on this site that it will cease - eventually!!

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
One thing I did find out that didnt work at any point was shouting or being loud. It would just make Saffie even more hyper and me feel even worse. The good news is the biting does stop but it isnt over night. Carrots are a god send as are long hide chews. Things that are frozen work well so stick a few wet socks in the freezer and then let puppies chew on them. There teeth do cause alot of pain but then again so does a puppy handing off your hand, t-shirt, trouser leg.. the list goes on.