Author Topic: Dyllan and recall  (Read 13639 times)

Penel

Re: Dyllan and recall
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »
Blimey - I pretty much let mine do whatever they like on a walk, with the occasional recall  :lol: for me, their walks are pretty much their own time to run around and do what they want to do, as long as they come back when I want....  maybe I've got complacent  :005:

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »
Blimey - I pretty much let mine do whatever they like on a walk, with the occasional recall  :lol: for me, their walks are pretty much their own time to run around and do what they want to do, as long as they come back when I want....
I'm sooo glad you said that.  :D I was beginning to think I'd got everything wrong.  ph34r

Offline PennyB

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
Blimey - I pretty much let mine do whatever they like on a walk, with the occasional recall  :lol: for me, their walks are pretty much their own time to run around and do what they want to do, as long as they come back when I want....
I'm sooo glad you said that.  :D I was beginning to think I'd got everything wrong.  ph34r

I think the thing is people get worried when they see people doing other stuff differently but if its not broke don't fix it.

I know Mark has recall problems with Bayley so makes sense to do something more about other than just call them doesn't it. Many people on here have problems so they ask for strategies to deal with it but if you don't have problem then you don't need to bother do you.

I do stuff on my walks as they love the games I play with them, which can't be done in the house
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2006, 11:18:49 PM »
I think the thing is people get worried when they see people doing other stuff differently but if its not broke don't fix it.

I know Mark has recall problems with Bayley so makes sense to do something more about other than just call them doesn't it. Many people on here have problems so they ask for strategies to deal with it but if you don't have problem then you don't need to bother do you.

I do stuff on my walks as they love the games I play with them, which can't be done in the house
On our normal walk, their recall is very good - not perfect but nearly there.  :angel:
I try to play games - we have balls on ropes, chuck its, squeaky toys - but they are usually more interested in sniffing.  ::) They will chase the ball, but usually not bother bringing it back. They will chase me, but I can't run for the whole walk.  ph34r

It is only when we go to the woods that there recall is a problem for the first 15 minutes or so. I'm happy to let them run for this time as I know they are safe and that after the initial excitement they will come back. OH thinks it will undo their recall, but I don't try to recall them as I know it won't work.
Just wondered if it was the right thing to do.  :-\ 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »
It is only when we go to the woods that there recall is a problem for the first 15 minutes or so. I'm happy to let them run for this time as I know they are safe and that after the initial excitement they will come back. OH thinks it will undo their recall, but I don't try to recall them as I know it won't work.
Just wondered if it was the right thing to do.  :-\ 

If you're always going to walk them in that bit and you're happy with the situation as you know they're safe then its best to do what you feel suits you anyway.

I guess I don't walk anywhere where I would feel secure in doing this but then thats because of where I walk mine so I have to keep them close-ish but that doesn't stop them having fun though
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2006, 11:50:31 PM »
If you're always going to walk them in that bit and you're happy with the situation as you know they're safe then its best to do what you feel suits you anyway. 
Thank you.  :D
It is only in this one place that I let them wander as it is secure and totally isolated. I wouldn't dream of letting them have so much freedom anywhere else.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2006, 11:53:03 PM »
Thank you.  :D
It is only in this one place that I let them wander as it is secure and totally isolated. I wouldn't dream of letting them have so much freedom anywhere else.

are you always going to walk them here though --- am only thinking as if you went elsewhere and this happened could it be a problem
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 12:03:25 AM »
are you always going to walk them here though --- am only thinking as if you went elsewhere and this happened could it be a problem
No. Our usual walk is around the local playing fields which only has a small area of trees and their recall is very good there. We also have two other walks where their recall is good.

We have only been to this particular wood 4 or 5 times, but they love going there and run continually for the whole time we are there. We walk them on lead into the centre of the woods and then let them off, so they are well away from the roads. And we have never met anyone else up there.
It is just so nice to see them enjoying themselves, that it would be a shame to stop taking them. But I would if people more experienced and better qualified than me thought it would ruin their recall.   

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2006, 01:07:44 PM »
working cockers are clever dogs and will try and work you to their advantage, Bayley is comical when trying to enguage me and encourage me to do what he wants.
I think cockers are not the easiest dogs to own and they need consistent and strong leadership from their humans.

I have just found the website of Graigour Gundogs which includes a brilliant "training diary" of a working cocker called "Tessa the Toerag" - the diary describes his perception of the unique traits of cocker when compared to other gundogs (it is easier to get a yorkshireman to buy a round of drinks that a cocker to sit/stay  :005:)

He also says that the basics of cocker training is to keep everything a game - and he describes only positive training methods in the spaniel diary  ;)

I am currently doing some research to find a good gundog trainer who will take both me and Alfie for lessons. This one is on my shortlist as it's not too far a drive from where I live... He is expensive but I am trying to negotiate a package so I will let you know if we go to see him!  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the interesting posts. Twix at 9 months is not great on the recall front and it is reassuring to hear that others are having the same problems and how you all are dealing with them. My last spaniel did not really fully get the hang of recall until she was almost 18 months, so I can assure those who are having problems with younger dogs too that it does all fall into place eventually as long as you keep persisting with the training.