Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 9529 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Insurance question
« on: August 01, 2003, 10:13:50 AM »
I had to make my first claim recently in 4 years of dog and cat ownership. My cat had an abcess on her face which burst before we could get her to the vet (she's basically an outdoor cat so it was rather difficult to get hold of her!), which resulted in the vet having to deal with the abcess, and then remove the offending teeth which caused the infection.

I have to pay the first £49 excess for my insurance claim - which is fine and something I of course knew. However, this morning I received two separate cheques... the insurance company has broken it down individually into treatment for the abcess, and treatment to remove the teeth - and I'm expected to pay £49 excess for each individual treatment? I was expecting to pay the first  £49 of the total vet fees only.

Does this sound right to everyone, or am I just naive  ::)                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 11:36:52 AM »
That sounds absolute cr@p to be honest.  I would have thought that if the teeth had to be removed because of the abcess or because the teeth were bad it caused an abcess, surely it is all one and the same thing.  I mean, if the teeth had nothing to do with the cause of the abcess or treatment of it, then why would the vet take them out?  Just for something to do???   ???  It is so typical of things today though, they are all quick to take your money but when roles are reversed, they drag their heels and kick up all kinds of stink >:(  GRRRRR                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Insurance question
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 11:56:13 AM »
I agree Mike, if the teeth were the cause of the absess

then they would have to be removed. So i cant understand

why you are being charged twice  ??? I would query it

and also mention it to your vet. He might be able to

advise you  ::)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline val

• Site Member
Insurance question
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 12:20:07 PM »
hi mike i would phone the insurance people, its a bit much you having to spend all that. let me know what the outcome is as i will be looking for insurance for max.. i will try and get a photo to you asap thanx val xx ??? ???                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Insurance question
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 12:22:59 PM »
hmmmmmmm does sound like they're trying it on :- - but it's worthwhile double checking the detail of your cover as policies differ so much ???. You may need your vet to step in and point out that the tooth extraction was directly linked to the abscess.

Insurance is such a nightmare :P                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Anonymous

Insurance question
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 12:37:58 PM »
Mike was the claim sent through on one claim form and all together??? As  the abcess  had been caused by the teeth it is all the one condition. I think you should contact the Insurance company and stand your ground on this. I have made quite a few claims due to having so many animals. They tried this with my Horse and my vet did me a letter saying it was all related to the original condition. They agreed in the end but i wasnt giving in!!!! >:(
Just out of interest who are the insurers.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Insurance question
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 01:51:39 PM »
The conditions are definitely related - the bad teeth caused the abcess, so there would have been no point treating the abcess without taking care off the teeth as it might simply reoccur. I'm going to give the insurance people a call. I filled in the claim form myself and sent it to the vet, so it was definitely sent on one form. I probably shouldn't name the insurance company on a public board, given I've got an issue with them - but I definitely agree with everyone else and at least I know it's not just me being naive (makes a change!) ;D

Thanks everybody  :)                    

Anonymous

Insurance question
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 03:09:28 PM »
what a load of croc!!!!! lemme at em!!!!  ;D sorry I woke up feisty this morning  ;D I got insurance for Jessie but haven't thank goodness had to make a claim, however! if I did I would not stnad for that I can tell ya... karate chop em Mikey...go on..  they wouldn't insure poppy on account of her age... but I dont really care, I have never paid a penny out on her in the whole time I have had her except for routine stuff and her spay op, so I think I have enough in my funds to cover anything if she gets ill, bless her pea pickin heart (as me ol friend says)  ;D  

remind me of the time when I had a classic mecedes stolen after restoring it completely two months previously, the incurance compnay tried to tell me it wasn't worth as much as I was claiming, well I whipped out me agreed valuation slip they had signed to agree its value and said pay up mister or see ya in court!!!... they paid  ;D

and I was recovering from a c sec and had a newborn (obviously) and toddler to cope with... talk about moody...he picked the wrong female to argue with I can tell ya  ;D                    

Anonymous

Insurance question
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 12:56:25 AM »
LOL ;D Lynsey you are soooo funny you crack me up!!! ( in a nice way) ;D ;D

You made an insomniac smile!!!!

Emma and Indie                    

Anonymous

Insurance question
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 11:44:37 AM »
LOL ;D Lynsey you are soooo funny you crack me up!!! ( in a nice way) ;D ;D

You made an insomniac smile!!!!

Emma and Indie

;D I crack myself up  ;D  just re read my post and I sound completely nuts  :o                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Insurance question
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 12:44:38 PM »
That wouldn't be because you are completely nuts would it??? :P :P  I speak only as a fellow looney you understand...                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Anonymous

Insurance question
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 04:09:17 PM »
That wouldn't be because you are completely nuts would it??? :P :P  I speak only as a fellow looney you understand...

hmmmmmmm ya know I think you might be on to something there  ;D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Insurance question
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 09:24:21 AM »
Just seen this post and yes - Mike stand your ground with them. We pay our premiums for a reason, we shouldn't have all this and then have to battle to get them to pay out.

It does sound as though they are trying it on.

Good luck                    
Anita

Offline PennyB

Insurance question
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2003, 09:50:04 AM »
I had a similar situation when 2 claims for the same thing were submitted fo rmy cat. One was from the Bristol vet school and the other my local vet. You need your vet to write a letter to sort this out (as the insurers would rather take your vets word over yours no matter how much you protest, as they were the ones who treated the cat). My vets were very good at getting me more out of my insurers as when sadly my cat was eventually put to sleep they managed to successfully claim by breaking down its components  (you can't claim for euthanasia itself) and a home visit (which they argued was essential).

There is usually one particular person at a vets who deals with claims so its worth speaking to them as they have the best experience of dealing with these sort of things.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Insurance question
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2003, 06:05:26 PM »
Just being curious Mike....have you rang your insurance company yet?  I still haven't got insurance for Lottie but it's something I am often contemplating, weighing up the pros and cons.  I've listened to so many different stories about insurance, good and bad :-                    
Mary & Lottie x