Author Topic: Junior Handling query  (Read 1601 times)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Junior Handling query
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »
Can I ask a sneaky question, if you are doing junior handling, does the dog you are handling have to have been already shown or entered into that show in a normal class?  It is just that a young girl at our ringcraft would love to do junior handling with Amber, but she is not really of show standard, so it would be a bit embarrassing to have to stand in the ring with her.  Poor baby, I love her to bits,  :luv: so please don't take that comment the wrong way.   ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Re: Junior Handling query
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
Yes - The dog has to be entered in a Breed class to beable to do Junior Handling

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
Guess, she will have to have a go with Archie then instead.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
Not at a companion show.  Usually you can take any dog into the handling class at companion shows.  But like sarah25 said...the dog needs to be entered in and exhibited in the breed (or av/avnsc) class for which it is eligible before being able to go into the handling class at limit/open/champ.  (Not sure how they get around this rule when they run the handling classes 1st thing though, guess they just have to assume people will exhibit their dogs in the breed classes?) 

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
That was what I was wondering as the shows at Newark always seem to have the junior handling first.   :-\  I think maybe she could show her in the breed class too as long as she is aware that she is unlikely to be placed anywhere.   :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »
If JH is first thing in the mourning before cockers are judged,just enter her in a breed class and JH then when shes done her JH she doesnt have to take her in the breed then.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »
Is it OK to do that do you think, I don't want to get a bad name, or end up in trouble.   :005:  However I don't want to get a bad name, showing a dog that is not right either.  It will only be at the local canine society shows.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
I would think it would be ok,you would of entered a breed class aswell so they cant say anything really.
If you have anymore questions tho im sure Marina would be happy to help  :blink:
http://www.juniorhandling.co.uk/

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »
I think you just have to enter, but you don't have to show if you don't want to.  Once when Emily and Tilly were entered in the breed and junior handling at a show, we waited around for hours only for both her classes to be called at the same time  ::)!  So they went in Junior handling and missed the breed class (they got reserve  :shades:)

Sue and Tilly

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
I am pretty sure you do have to exhibit the dog...I read all the rules very carefully because I wanted to take Storm in handling for a change (she's quite good at her ring ettiquette  ;) )...but realised I could only do so if I entered and exhibited her in the breed class...which I dont feel is fair on her.  So I have to take my collie in handling  ::)

I guess if handling is before the breed class the show cant do anything if you have to withdraw your dog from the later breed class (they scheduled the classes that way around)? 

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 09:14:18 PM »
If you go to fun and companion shows, you can even enter junior handling with a crossbreed - as shown by our son competing with Suki. 
It is an excellent way for children to enjoy dogs, and boosts their confidence no end.
Good luck
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(