Author Topic: is this the end for my boy?  (Read 9417 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: is this the end for my boy?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
When he attacked our regular docile Cavalier visitor, also complete with balls, I used a cold water spray on his face.  That made him realise that I am boss, this is my house and what I say goes!  I also instigated firm rules about dog waiting to be asked through doorways, making him return if he pushed through first: that got him all growly and moaney 'cos he wasn't getting his own way. 

Sorry but I disagree . I'd never ever throw water in my dogs face, it's not necessary. I also don't think it's necessary to show your dog who is the boss. I DO agree with clear, consistant rules.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
I wouldn't stroke a dog wearing a muzzle! 

How sad  :'(  Not all dogs that wear muzzles are vicious.  What about the scavengers that wear muzzles to stop them picking things up.  What about the dogs that love humans and are no threat whatsoever, but have dog/dog aggression?
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
When he attacked our regular docile Cavalier visitor, also complete with balls, I used a cold water spray on his face.  That made him realise that I am boss, this is my house and what I say goes!  I also instigated firm rules about dog waiting to be asked through doorways, making him return if he pushed through first: that got him all growly and moaney 'cos he wasn't getting his own way. 

Sorry but I disagree . I'd never ever throw water in my dogs face, it's not necessary. I also don't think it's necessary to show your dog who is the boss. I DO agree with clear, consistant rules.

Apologies - I didn't read your thread properly, I didn't realise you threw water to put a stop to it  attacking a dog  ;)

Offline Dragon

• Site Member
  • Woofas
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 09:06:32 PM »
The vet has now asked us to consider the dreaded - ending his days.  He feels we have done all we can and he has a split personality.  I have cried for days.  The thought of life without him is unbearable.  Has anyone been through the same? 

Know exactly what you're going through. COL members have been really supportive and it's comforting to share your problem. The best advice I received was not to be too hasty. If we had acted on our vets advice Molly would no longer be with us. 
Cooper x Sasha x George x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »
When he attacked our regular docile Cavalier visitor, also complete with balls, I used a cold water spray on his face.  That made him realize that I am boss, this is my house and what I say goes!  I also instigated firm rules about dog waiting to be asked through doorways, making him return if he pushed through first: that got him all growly and moaney 'cos he wasn't getting his own way. 

Apologies - I didn't read your thread properly, I didn't realise you threw water to put a stop to it  attacking a dog  ;)
When owning a reactive dog it is important that you manage the dogs interactions carefully so it does not get to this stage.
I would not set my dog up to fail so I had to use a punisher in the first place.
What does your dog learn to associate other dogs with?
Another dog becomes associated with receiving punishment and so the vicious circle begins.
I would also be very careful in the methods you use to show the dog you are the boss cause if backed into a corner or faced with no other option then even the most submissive of dogs have the capability to take a chunk out of you.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 11:38:11 AM »
Does your dog insurance cover regular visits to someone like Roger Mugford or Peter Neville?  Roger has represented people in Court with 'dangerous' dogs and has devised lots of toys such as the Kong for playtime.   It is probably an age 'thing' as in my opinion fear aggression would be shown much earlier.  I also know that some dogs don't like black coloured dogs, probably because they loom out of the hedgerows/darkness/gateways ..........

How has he been today?

Roger Mugford is not a fan of cockers (and very critical of the breed but we won't go there in this thread) and I'd much prefer to put my hands in someone who's more cocker savvy ::) rather than someone who has preconceived ideas about a breed when the individual dog is more important ::)

I believe Emma Parsons book is good: Click to Calm-Healing the Aggressive Dog
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »

I believe Emma Parsons book is good: Click to Calm-Healing the Aggressive Dog
That book is BRILLIANT - I used it a lot when Daisy was attacked by the GSD and was then reacting to every dog she met.  She is not perfect now but we are getting there - some dogs she completely ignores - others she will shout at but it is better than it was  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »
today has been a good day.  He has been his usual delightful self in the home.  When we were out we didn't see a dog at all so he was fine.  I am feeling much more positive.  We have discussed this as a family and are going to change approach from the 'dog listener' approach to the reward positive, ignore negative again. It's been great reading all your replies.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »
 ph34r
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
today has been a good day.  He has been his usual delightful self in the home.  When we were out we didn't see a dog at all so he was fine.  I am feeling much more positive.  We have discussed this as a family and are going to change approach from the 'dog listener' approach to the reward positive, ignore negative again. It's been great reading all your replies.

The dog listener approach is outdated and  can be confusing.
The reason I got into training and behaviour was because I had a reactive dog and couldn't get a behaviourist to help me.
I also went down the dog listener route to start with and was gobsmacked when I found what i had been doing was all a load of tosh.
I read up on the subject to gain a better understanding with the Culture clash and the complete idiots guide to positive dog training very useful in understanding why dogs do what they do and how they learn.
A lot of the things that the dog listener advocates do work but not for the reasons she gives.
I would stick to your new plan and read as much and get as much knowledge on the subject as possible to help you understand your dog in a whole new way.
Also check out a book by Turrid Rugass called Calming signals on talking terms with dogs to give you a better understanding of what your dog is saying with his body language.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 05:08:55 PM »
I also went down the dog listener route to start with and was gobsmacked when I found what i had been doing was all a load of tosh.

Me too although it was COL that taught me it was rubbish  ;) Before then I thought she was wonderful  :lol:

I went in Waterstones the other day and they have a small sign on the dog book shelf that says it's their best dog book & highly recommended  >:(   So I hid the sign  ph34r

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
I went in Waterstones the other day and they have a small sign on the dog book shelf that says it's their best dog book & highly recommended  >:(   So I hid the sign  ph34r

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
  So I hid the sign  ph34r

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Excellent
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Leah

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »
My house, my rules, I'm Boss  ;)

As I walked into the house with my regular 'boy', the visitor lunged, growling in an alarming manner.  I had ready a fine water spray which I used on his face: he stepped back, gave me a sideways glance and walked away to consider.  When he did it again, I only had to pick up the water spray for him to back off my regular 'boy'.  Instigating me going through doorways, gates etc. first reinforced that I *am* to be listened to!  After 2 days he was more relaxed as I had given him ground rules, never necessary before with any of the dogs who visit here. 

As for not stroking a dog wearing a muzzle - I would certainly approach the owner though and ask why  :angel: usually there's a reason, a springer in our village eats poo of all kinds and her owner is a little fussy so the dog wears a muzzle in the fields.  Shame ain't it, a bit of sheep poo breath never did anyone any harm ........  :shades:

I sorry to learn that Roger has preconceived ideas - I thought it was the behaviour he was judging not the breed!  Another one to cross off my C.mas card list  :005:

Our visitor has returned to his home now and it's Oh So Quiet ........

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
My house, my rules, I'm Boss  ;)
As I walked into the house with my regular 'boy', the visitor lunged, growling in an alarming manner.  I had ready a fine water spray which I used on his face: he stepped back, gave me a sideways glance and walked away to consider.  When he did it again, I only had to pick up the water spray for him to back off my regular 'boy'.  Instigating me going through doorways, gates etc. first reinforced that I *am* to be listened to!  After 2 days he was more relaxed as I had given him ground rules, never necessary before with any of the dogs who visit here. 

This particular training philosophy has been undermined by more recent research; most up to date dog trainers prefer to avoid the use of adversives and subjecting the dog to stressors in order to provide an opportunity to correct, in favour of a positive reinforcement approach.

The principle that dogs consider "US" as one of their pack and may try to dominate us has also been superseded by more modern approaches.......dogs are actually far too clever to think of us as fellow pack members  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club