Author Topic: Orange Roan coat length  (Read 1871 times)

Offline yorkshirelass

• Site Member
Orange Roan coat length
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:52:24 PM »
HI there all,

We are going to have my mother in laws cocker spaniel Sally who is nearly 12 months old. 

My mother in law is suffering from ill health and cannot no longer walk and care for her as she needs.

I have been lurking on this site for a while, reading the very useful information.

A lot of the dogs on here seem to have lots and lots of coat, whereas Sally has lots of nice feathering but it is not abundant as some I have seen.  I have posted on the showing part of the forum, as myself and my daughter would like to start taking her ringrcraft classes and perhaps even some open shows.  However I wondered if we would be penalised for her not having massess of coat.

I will most an update to date piccie on here tommorrow of her and see what you all think.

Many thanks

Rachel

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
Re: Orange Roan coat length
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Hi there,

I'll be interested to see your replies as we have Beau who is almost a year old, blue roan and has loads of coat and we see a lot of his litter brother Buster who is orange roan and doesn't have nearly as much coat - mainly just feathering.  I have to admit I'm intrigued  :shades:
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:25:50 PM »
Not all show-type Cockers have heavy coats - some may have very fine coats with not much feathering while others are dripping in coat. Our first orange roan had a very fine non-trim coat and didn't get any feathering to speak of until after she was spayed whereas our current oranges have much thicker coats. It just depends really on the type of coat your Cocker has ;) Judges shouldn't penalise Cockers for not having masses of coat (the Standard doesn't actually call for this) just as long as there is enough coat in the right places :D
Jane

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:49:23 PM »
Our orange roan Jasper had loads of coat when we acquired him ages 9 months

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/54cf2fde.jpg

Even now it takes a lot of keeping in control and matts so easily in the wet and mud, you might find you have a much easier job on your hands with Sally.  I assume that she is a show type though, our other cocker is part worker and has a lot less coat.

I spoke to Jaspers breeder at the weekend and she commented on in her experience orange roans generally do seem to have less coat or that it is finer.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline yorkshirelass

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:37:48 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.

To Jaspers Mum, I would be interested in having a look at your half show half worker cocker if you have any photos?  Just to see if she/he looks like Sally?  I am going to take some photos of her tommorrow (if she stays still) - she is in dire need of some manners at the moment, because she has been allowed to jump up at everyone - so as soon as she has settled we will be taking her training and doing plenty at home too. 

Found out that sally is younger that I first thought she was born on 15th May 2006, so is only actually 10 months.  She has just had her first season 2 weeks ago, and wondering how long it will be until her coat drops ? Is 9 months very young for a first season?

Will post another piccie on here tommorrow. 

Bye for now

x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »
  She has just had her first season 2 weeks ago, and wondering how long it will be until her coat drops ? Is 9 months very young for a first season?

My girl starts to drop her coat straight after her season within a week!  I wouldn't say 9 months is easrly, infact its probably textbook :D

Enjoy your girlie, looking forward to the pics :luv:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 07:07:59 AM »
To Jaspers Mum, I would be interested in having a look at your half show half worker cocker if you have any photos?  Just to see if she/he looks like Sally?  I am going to take some photos of her tommorrow (if she stays still) - she is in dire need of some manners at the moment, because she has been allowed to jump up at everyone - so as soon as she has settled we will be taking her training and doing plenty at home too. 

This is Louie, he still looks more show than worker, some of the others have pictures of their full workers on here if you search and their coats are different again

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/P2020282.jpg

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 12:57:23 PM »
Sorry but can I steal Louie?  He is lovely :luv:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
Sorry but can I steal Louie?  He is lovely :luv:

There are times when he is digging up lawn and flower beds, mud wallowing for Worcestershire or having problems with wind - I might have to take you up on offer!  Good job they are so lovable isn't it  ;) He knows how to charm us too!

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »

Jaspersmum... did you have to do any sort of hand stripping of Jasper's coat at all, to get it that sleek looking over his back? My Baxer is half working and looks very similar to Jasper, but the fur in his back sticks up in all directions!... he is 7 months now and I am hoping it is just puppy fluff that will come out... :-\
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline mandy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
hi jaspers mum its lovely to see pictures of yours we need to see more  :luv: :luv:.Think they would both like to come a live me especially jasper seen as we are related :005: :005:

RIP Toby love and miss you every day xx

1/7/95 to 20/8/2012

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
Think that piccie was a VERY good day!

I have been having a hack and will post on a separate thread to see what everyone thinks - can't get the legs right and was going to ring up someone to help BUT determined that I can do it if I try (it will grow back if I totally muck up won't it?) Just need to get camera out - perhaps when I get back from school run.

Nice try Mandy, you won't let me have Piper so I'm not letting you have Jasper  :P  ;)