Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
I have just activated Lillys free insurance but when I was at the vets yesterday the receptionist asked who I was thinking of using,
she said that she uses M&S and has had to claim 3 times and they have always been helpful and paid in full. On the net it says that Argos is the cheapest but I was thinking of petplan or buddies. I also have 2 cats and wondered if there is anyone out there who will give didcount for 3 pets?

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »

Hi.. my cat is with Petplan... not the cheapest but good cover, handle claims vary quickly and directly with the vet surgery and will give a discount for multiple animals (of the same species)

Baxter is with Healthy Pets... seem good value but not had to make a claim yet so can't comment on that side of things (touch wood I don't have to make a claim ever!)

Whilst I was looking for Baxer... 'More Than' insurance seemed to look very favourable too.
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:16:06 AM »

I'm with Argos but haven't needed to claim so don't know how good they are in that dept.

M&S have changed their prices considerably and some of their T&C's have changed too ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:19:22 AM »
Pet Insurance for the uninitiated is a total minefield  ::)

There are so many different policies and terms and conditions that it's probably best to decide what type of cover you want first, and then look for a policy that offers it - rather than go by price alone  ;)

The cheaper policies often only cover each condition for 12 months - so if your dog is diagnosed with a long-term illness or injury (diabetes, or a torn ligament, for instance), then once the 12 months is up, then you have to pay the rest of the bills yourself  :-\

Even policies that cover a condition "for life"; often have a maximum value for each claim - which can also leave you picking up the tab if you dog is diagnoses with a long-term illness that requires expensive ongoing treatment :(

Then there are the different things that policies will and won't pay for - some provide more comprehensive cover than others. Common exclusions include prescription diets, dental treatment and alternative/behavioural interventions  :-\

It is well worth reading the cover offered very carefully, and deciding whether you are happy with the restrictions/limitations of each, and only then compare the prices  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
I changed to Healthy Pets (Gold option) a few months ago after being with Tesco for about ten years. It was actually cheaper than Tesco who only offered cover for the first twelve months of any one condition. I only fully realised the implications of that when my springer was diagnosed with a chronic illness  :'(.

I've had one small claim already with Healthy Pets and they paid up within about two weeks  :D
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »
I've just had my renewal from M&S which has increased by 65%  :o 
Which thanks to previous threads on here I was prepared for.  I called them anyway to enquire why & they said that AXA have realised that dogs as opposed to bitches seem to have more claims & certain breeds too!  >:(
Looking at the policy wording it also looked like the excess had increased from zero to £50 but was assured that the last paragraph overwrites all previous & it is still zero excess.
On comparing M&S to Healthy Pets for Max the M&S is £62 per year (£5 month) dearer but Healthy Pets quote £100 excess.

Good luck in your search.
I think it's worse than looking for car insurance  ::)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:50 AM »
All four of our dogs are insured with M & S, we had lots of claims for three of our dogs last year and they paid each and every one without any problems, including hydrotherapy for our pyrenees. We have the no-excess option and I can really recommend it.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:17:03 PM »
both my dogs are with M & S and although it has increased alot from last year, i still like the peace of mind knowing they cover any illness for life. I know someone who had to claim 7k for her lab last year and they paid up no problem :)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
I know someone who had to claim 7k for her lab last year and they paid up no problem :)

I think that is the maximum that M & S will pay for vets fees in any one year  ;) Petplan do offer a policy that is totally uncapped, though  ;)

Alpha - if Lilly receives any veterinary treatment during the 6 week period of free insurance (even if you don't claim), then you will need to check out what exclusions any other company will place on the policy before you change - it can work out very expensive if you switch  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:38:43 PM »
I use Healthy Pets too. We claimed only a few wekks after activating the policy for Pepsi's lip fold op and they paid up really quickly. I was unsure if they being as we'd only had the policy a short time. They do discounts for more than one pet too.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »
This helps answer some of the questions about pet insurance and the pitfalls.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1130761827,56015,

There is also a site where you can compare costs and benefits of many of them, but I can't find it at the mo  >:( . Will have another look and add it here if I can.
happydog

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
happydog

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:17 PM »
Maisy insured with the gold option with Healthy Pets as well, not needed to use it yet!
Barbara

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
Snoopy and Rocky are both with Healthy Pets gold cover and I would strongly recommend them as an insurer.  When Snoopy had his abscess and was very poorly last year they sorted everything so quickly and were really helpful and explained everything in English, even when the vet lost the claim form twice ph34r.  When I put Rocky onto the same plan with them they discounted the costs, which is fantastic. 

cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline Alpha

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 02:48:02 PM »
Hi,
had allsorts of quotes as I want to insure my 2 Bengals as well (Lots of insurer won't insure them) and have gone with Direct Line for ALL 3 Advanced cover it was only £36 per month compared to nearly £70 which was the next cheapest. Seems to cover most eventualities, lets just hope it is a) never needed and b) good as they say it is.