Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
I started with Direct Line, as they were really good - check the small print when you get your renewal next year, as they seem to add the exclusions then  >:(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
After reading some recommendations on a previous thread we went with M&S but when I re-checked the KC Healthcare plan that provided the 6 weeks free cover when I got Harley - they were cheaper than M&S and their benefits were better.  M&S covered up to £7,000 per illness or accident per year and the KC one was £10,000, and as KC  were cheaper I cancelled the M&S one and went with the KC, they were quite happy to insure Harley, even though there had been a break in the cover - and still at the original price quoted when I activated the 6 weeks free cover.
Lu

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
I know people have had wonderful experiences with M&S but I found them rude and slow.  If Petplan will accept Kali this year then I will change over. :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »
Healthy Pets were excellent for Lucys 3 claims pity we cant say the same for the vets accountant who apparently claims that maths is not her strong point >:(

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »
I know people have had wonderful experiences with M&S but I found them rude and slow. 

I know how you feel Sheryl - everyone here seems to be singing the praises of Healthy Pets but my experience of them was the opposite - I found them a complete and utter nightmare to deal with. I only put in one claim and it wasn't for very much but they quibbled over every last penny. It took a year to sort out and even then they only coughed up because I chose to give in and settle for less than I was due, rather than having to endure the pain of dealing with them any longer. Seems I was the unlucky one but just reading their name still makes me seethe.   >:(  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
I know people have had wonderful experiences with M&S but I found them rude and slow. 

I know how you feel Sheryl - everyone here seems to be singing the praises of Healthy Pets but my experience of them was the opposite - I found them a complete and utter nightmare to deal with. I only put in one claim and it wasn't for very much but they quibbled over every last penny. It took a year to sort out and even then they only coughed up because I chose to give in and settle for less than I was due, rather than having to endure the pain of dealing with them any longer. Seems I was the unlucky one but just reading their name still makes me seethe.   >:(  :lol:

I don't think you are alone Colin - I have heard similar stories from people who have dogs and other animals insured through them  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

I've heard similar horror stories from E & L; I know several people who have insured with them & when it came to the crunch they managed to wriggle out of the insurance payout. Years ago I was with PetPlan - they were quite good but expensive; at the moment the dogs are with Direct Line; I've only claimed once for Domino when he was a small pup but they paid up without quibbling so I speak as I find!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
We have 3 pets insured with M&S and almost all our claims have been settled quickly and in full  :D

Only exception is SaffiWestie's allergy's. It seems she was seen by a vet for chewing her paws before she was insured with them (before she was 1 yr old) and when we tried to claim for the allergy tests and vaccines etc they excluded all skin conditions......we should have insured her earlier (she was almost 3 when we decided to insure her  ph34r

Costs are growing with her allergy tests and she is having a vaccine specially formulated for her....she is allergic to almost all grasses and trees but especially birch and oak  :-\

Janey

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 09:17:29 PM »
We used m&s the first year, second year premiums went through the roof, we also found them very unhelpful and rude, even though we never made a claim. I am with the Halifax now, the underwriters are the same as m&s, that is axa and the cover is similar, never made a claim so don't know if I can reccomend them yet. will have to wait and see if they double the premiums when they become due.

Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
I am with the Halifax now, the underwriters are the same as m&s, that is axa and the cover is similar, never made a claim so don't know if I can reccomend them yet. will have to wait and see if they double the premiums when they become due.

I'm not sure I would call the Halifax policy similar to the M & S policy - it has a £50 excess, it only covers £1000/£6000 a year in fees compared with £7000 under M & S, Halifax excludes all dental treatment (unlike M & S) and M & S offers fantastic Accidental Damage cover for YOUR OWN property, whereas most of the others, including Halifax, specifically exclude damage to the property of householders  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:19 PM »
I use M&S pet insurance for Alfie and they have been really good.  I can't remember the exact amount we pay each month but we pay an extra £1 a month to have no excess.  Robbie is with Petplan and since we have claimed we can't move him because that condition won't be covered if we try to claim again.
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:29:37 PM »
I don't insure.

Although I have spent over £1000 on vet fees this year so far for different dogs, insurance would not have been cost effective.

I view the costs over my life time, rather than an individual dog's life, as I will always have dogs.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
I don't insure.

Although I have spent over £1000 on vet fees this year so far for different dogs, insurance would not have been cost effective.

I view the costs over my life time, rather than an individual dog's life, as I will always have dogs.

For me, the vets fees are only one part of the cover I seek - third party liability cover is up to £2 million with the policy I have.....and although I hope to would never happen, I consider it the responsible thing to do, in the same way as having third party car insurance  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »
I don't insure.

For me, the vets fees are only one part of the cover I seek - third party liability cover is up to £2 million with the policy I have.....and although I hope to would never happen, I consider it the responsible thing to do, in the same way as having third party car insurance  ;)

I have 3rd party cover as part of my house insurance. but -  the Dogs Trust gives 3rd party insurance when you join and pay a tennar

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »
the Dogs Trust gives 3rd party insurance when you join and pay a tennar

Really? how does that work then? Is it only for dogs adopted from DT ?  :huh:
Oldies Club