Author Topic: Is 3 a crowd?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
Re: Is 3 a crowd?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
I never had any trouble when i got my 3rd cocker last year.She was 5 months old,so still a puppy and she settled in from day one,i show mine too,and ,am getting my 4th cocker at the end of may,a black/tan bitch.She will be 8 weeks old then.I know the other 3 will get on fine with her,so am not worried at all.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »
 :D  You should have no problems whatsoever in bringing in a male, he will automatically be the under-dog with 2 bitches in the house so no heirarachy issues at all. I have a male and females together all bought within 1-2 years of each other, never ever had any problems whatsoever they all get on exceptionally well, bitches are another issue, that can sometimes be hit and miss but if the age differences are appropriate that again causes no issues.

Just remember to also give your bitches time outs from a pup, your bitches will either love a pup to bits or find him irritating at times, so make sure they have somewhere to escape if the pup gets too much, I have always found my Alpha to be indifferent leaving the other bitches to play with the pup and keep it amused, you may find the same that one bitch will take a larger interest than the other, some bitches find pups irritating, (just like some human adults aren't too keen on children) but remember they all grow up, and as adults they should be the best of friends and make a lovely little pack.

Go for it, get your male and I look forward to hearing how you do in the show world.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »
:D  You should have no problems whatsoever in bringing in a male, he will automatically be the under-dog with 2 bitches in the house so no heirarachy issues at all.

I don't think it does "automatically" happen this way though - bitches are often the boss but not in all households. I have one boy and two girls and Jimmy is definitely the boss (in most scenarios - often the dynamics are more fluid than that)... there's no way I'd describe him as an 'alpha' though ... he's just bossy and likes to get his own way.  :lol: I know of one member on this site that had two girls then added a boy and the boy eventually had to be rehomed due to problems within the pack, so it's not always as straightforward as you describe.

Given Jools descriptions of her two girls then I'd say there's a high chance that the eventual introduction of a 3rd dog would go well - but none of us can give any absolute guarantees based purely on our own experiences.

Good luck in persuading your OH Jools.  :shades:

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
I agree with what everyone else has said, wait until Poppy is a little bit older...but no harm in planning in advance now  ;) If you're looking for one of Elizabeth's for showing I would say go for a Blue or Orange  ;) Spinner is throwing some very nice Dog puppies at the moment  ;)I think Gracie was around the right age to add another (Lola) just over 18 months. I also think that personality not just sex makes a difference but I perosnally don't think you will have too much trouble with Bramble and Poppy by adding a dog  ;)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »
I don't find three a crowd - but I have rescues and don't have to go through the puppy and teenage 'thing'.

In terms of the male/female thing - it really depends on the bitch and Colin should not be fooled by Jimmy being in charge now  :005:.

To be serious, I had Fletcher and Pip (boys) and my parents had Molly.  Mine came to me when Molly was 3 - Fletch was just 4 and, after a few months, Pip  6  ish.  Molly really took control of Fletch, but would not say a word to Pip.  Four years on and she would never growl at Pip.  When Fletch died this year, she started on Pip, growled and he obeys her.  Now I've got Olly, she has shifted from Pip and scares the helll out of Olly - he runs away when she is barking at him.

This is just my experience.