Author Topic: Pet insurance  (Read 3472 times)

Offline jaymac

• Site Member
  • Poppy Puppy
Pet insurance
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:50:23 PM »
Our pups insurance renewal has arrived and the premium seems to have gone up 30%. Healthy pets seems to offer their Gold cover for a very reasonable £77.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  Who do you consider to offer a good policy at a good price?

Offline tinstaafl

• Site Member
Re: Pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:13 PM »
No idea what they're like for claims but we've just used www.animalfriends.org.uk  I like that they're non-profit, give money to animal charities and all dogs under 8 cost the same. The long-term illness cover seems top notch too.

No doubt someone will now tell me they're rubbish :)

Simon

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Saffie is with m&s and in her first year it cost £126 with no excess. no claims until her episode with the booster and the renewal came through and it is now £220 with £50 excess!!!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
Saffie is with m&s and in her first year it cost £126 with no excess. no claims until her episode with the booster and the renewal came through and it is now £220 with £50 excess!!!

You should check the excess... they have a strange way of putting it on the document. But at the very end of the insurance certificate it should say "Excess £50, reduced to nil".

I doubt that the claims have put the price up... M&S have made major price adjustments across the board, regardless of claims. All the premiums of our dogs have gone up too!

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
I'm with Healthy Pets, but fortunately havent had to use them (madly touching wood)

There are other members that are with Healthy Pets and have had claims with & without problems - but to be honest people can have problems with ALL insurers. 

I was with M&S and despite not making any claims they nearly doubled my premium and increased my excess (wasnt impressed)

Healthy Pets & M&S are the same underwriter i.e. Axa.

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:01 PM »
I was with crufts pet insurance but have just changed to Argos platinum! I was very pleased with the price and standard but then I think until you have to claim you dont really know what they are like! Hopefull good!!!! :005:
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:09:54 PM »
Lucy is with Healthy Pets - we have had two claims both of which were paid extremely promptly , i have nothing but praise for the company although i know there are a few people on COL who have had issues with them.

I have no problem recommending Healthy Pets , M&S does have a better policy as there is no limit on the amount payable for a condition but it comes at a much higher price and the premiums increase alarmingly as the dog gets older.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline jaymac

• Site Member
  • Poppy Puppy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 09:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the helpful replies. It looks like it will be healthy pets then as it's £50 less with them than our renewal with PDSA.  I just hope I never need to claim onit!