Author Topic: Teaching puppy to show  (Read 4475 times)

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Teaching puppy to show
« on: October 01, 2003, 07:29:31 PM »
Hi folks :D,

Been following your advice, "train' em young" you said, so that's what I did. I have been teaching Rainbow a few dog show etiquette, to see if she enjoys the training. She's quite good on the lead high head carriage moves well and very fluid unfortunately she carries her ears and tail too high ::) when she can smell tidbits in my hand. Also have started grooming (shampoo, hair-dryer, nails etc..), putting her on the table so her feet would "land square" (can't remember where I got the info from ???). She's a clever girl and eager to please, can hold her pose like about 10s, so she can get her bits examined by my friends!!

To be honest, I do not really know what I'm doing :-[. I just mimic what I saw in shows and hints from books. I know some of our lovely members are familiar with dog showing, can you please give me some help?? I would like to attend a ringcraft class as soon as possible but do not know of any, I live in Richmond/Ealing (London) area, don't mind travelling, lets say a radius of about 5-10 miles in west london. She won't be fully vaccinated till about the end of the month, so I would really appreciated if someone can suggest some more exercise for me to do at home at the meantime ;D. Thanks

Alexander :)                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:42:23 PM »
Hi Alexander

I had real trouble trying to find a ringcraft class in London but eventually found one in Wood Green.....probably a bit far for you to travel though. I'm sure I saw an advert in Pets At Home in Brentford for some classes in Isleworth, more your neck of the woods.

You could try contacting the Kennel Club, I've thrown out the list they sent me unfortunately, but as I recall most of the ringcraft centres they knew of were just outside London anyway.

Alternatively your vet may know of one in your area. :)                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 08:05:08 PM »
Hi Alexander

I would say what you are doing is fine - try holding the treat out from you in front of Rainbow's nose so she can see it but not jump up for it.

Have you contacted Rainbow's Breeder for details of a Ringcraft Class around your area.  Alternatively not sure if they would no but you could contact Mr D Telford of the London Cocker Spaniel Society Tel:01268 751342.

HTH

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 09:37:23 PM »
Don't worry about Rainbow's ears & tail carriage being high - she is just a baby & you'll probably find that these things will sort themselves out once she's older. You're doing really well but remember not to overdo it - with a very young puppy, you want to keep show training sessions very brief & fun for her. She has plenty of time to learn the basics in the months to come so take it nice & slowly :)                    
Jane

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 12:09:41 PM »
Thanks all for your advice!! ;D I have met Mr Telfold, he's really nice person and very helpful and will give him a ring and will contact the Kennel club about ringcraft clubs in my area, thanks Colin. Must be one  ::)because there are opens dog shows around my area.

Dessie your tip about the tidbit its great!!! :) She doesn't jump anymore but propel forward and high head carriage "like the donkey and the carrot technique" As for Jane, I think you're right young puppy have very short attention span, so my lesson are short about 10 to 15 minute but often especially when I take her out of her crate, she performs because she thinks its her reward and also cures her boredom. Will continue the training until I have proper guidance from the ringcraft.

P.S: Dog showing to me is not about who has the most beautiful dog, all dogs are beautiful!! It is just a bit of fun and meeting somemore new doggie friends ;D.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 12:49:08 PM »
I've dug out  a few bits and pieces I had written down from when I was searching for ringcraft for Misty.

Is Hanwell anywhere near you ? The West London Dog Handlers Club is there.......01753 792833.....I can't quite read my own writing but looks like the man is called Roger Jibby . ???

A useful site is this one

www.bestofbreeds.dabsol.co.uk/clubcorner/index.htm

They have a ringcraft section and aslo more general dog training.....listing centres all over the UK. I vaguely remember finding Misty's place in the training section so it's worthwhile checking both.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 07:18:07 PM »

Dessie your tip about the tidbit its great!!! :) She doesn't jump anymore but propel forward and high head carriage "like the donkey and the carrot technique" Alexander :)

Hi Alexander

I'm pleased to hear that this little tip is working well for you and Rainbow and happy I was able to help :D :D

Dessie                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 07:50:08 PM »
Hi all, :D
Sorry about the pic :-[, Have the photo enlarged now, she's actually really tiny about a foot in length. From the pic you might think she is a miniature cocker spaniel ;D

p.s.: Since she is not fully vaccinated, I carry her around in a cat carrier when I go walkies with Ollie to show her the big wide world!! ;D People look at me on the street and think I'm mad!!!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 08:38:54 PM »
Awww   Alexander!!!  she,s  a  little   beauty!!!!!

she  is  soooooooo  cute.   :-*                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Teaching puppy to show
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 09:40:56 AM »
Hey Colin,

Thanks for the info ;D Hanwell is just down the road from me,will give them a ring!! If not I think there might be one at Uxbridge, usually they hold local London shows in that area.