Author Topic: Tesco insurance  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Tesco insurance
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »
Insurance grrrrrrrrr   >:D
following on from the recent thread re M&S I've been looking around to try to cut the premiums - but its so hard, I'm scared of not having the 'right' cover, do you think you get what you pay for or can you get cheaper cover that is ok???

I had E&L and changed to M&S, now looking at Tesco which seems to cover everything despite not having ben innoculated - am I missing something, any one with any horror stories about Tesco please shout now before I send them my hard earned cash  :005:

Any other suggestions greatfully recieved

Bens mum :luv:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Tesco insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:04:25 PM »
Yes I'm sure if I remember rightly Jeeves had terrible trouble with Tesco

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »
Tesco will only cover each condition for 12 months - fine if you only need insurance in case of an accident but if you are looking for illness cover then you would be better going for the lifetime cover policies
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »
Agree with Gill. With two dogs and two cats at the time Tesco seemed like a bargain. Then Barney showed signs of epilepsy. He wasn't put on treatment at first then on phenylbarbitone which is inexpensive. After a year was up- and Tesco wouldn't pay for any more treatment, he had to go onto potassium bromide which is more expensive plus regular blood tests. I really wish I had taken out lifetime insurance.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:16 PM »
We're currently with Tesco and have claimed easily for one of things. But we are looking to move to a lifetime one when they come up for renewal.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:25 PM »
Tesco only cover for the first year of any one illness. So if you -as I did end, up with a dog with arthritis for example, needing medication for the rest of its life, then after the first year you are on your own.

I am now with Healthy pets who do put a lifetime limit on any one incident depending what level of cover you choose, but if you keep with them they will still cover you up to the limit over the ensuing years. I have the gold option which covers Fern for up to £5,000 per incident. In theory (doG forbid) she could have three or four things wrong with her and each one would be covered up to £5,000.

I think you do get what you pay for and you do have to be aware of the possibilities. I know that some people have had very sick dogs needing treatment for a single  illness in excess of £10K, but that is a risk I have decided to take with Fern. I think the chances of her needing that is less than her needing treatment for more than one year.

Jeeves problem was slightly different. I will have a scout around and see if I can find a link to it for you.....I could be some time.....

Here it is  :D
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=21343.msg268209#msg268209

TBH it was her story that gave me the kick up the backside to move from Tescos. I was disgusted with their treatment of her. However I think they did pay up eventually so all was well in the end, although it was stress she could well have done without at the time.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »
More than well worth a look too, we have a lot of people with them and they pay out on time usually.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »
Sorry, I am wondering whether I have read your posting properly.  Are you saying that Ben isnt innoculated ?   Didnt think that any Insurer would provide cover, just thought this was standard wording  :huh:

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick ?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »
Sorry, I am wondering whether I have read your posting properly.  Are you saying that Ben isnt innoculated ?   Didnt think that any Insurer would provide cover, just thought this was standard wording  :huh:

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick ?

All policies I have found exclude conditions which can be inoculated against - but some exclude all veterinary treatment for any condition if the dog isn't vaccinated, others will still cover conditions unrelated to vaccinations  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :o ph34r

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!

Please, use anyone OTHER than Tesco - please, my blood pressure's rising as I type :005:
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline dawn c

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:49:40 AM »
hi,
 l was with tesco's and have to say they allways paid up without any problems, bit as the others have said they dont cover for more than a year,
lve just canceled my policy with direct line because they have just become to expensive as l have 3 dogs, lm looking at sainsburys any help would great,
 its such l worry trying to make such you have every thing covered

thanks dawnc
life would not be complete without dogs, they are my sunshine

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
Following on from a different thread, I've just moved mine to Healthy pets. With tesco's you can cancel their policy at any time.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »

My only experience with Tesco is that the initial premium started off very reasonable - no claims at all.  Then, it started creeping up, and then it lept up dramatically.  Still no claims.  When I queried it - which was a nightmare trying to actually speak to someone who could help  >:D - they told me it was because my dog had reached 8 yrs, and it would continue to rise dramatically each year thereafter, because of age and "things going wrong".   

I wasn't impressed with this at all, and their customer service was atrocious. 

At the end of the day, what we all want is peace of mind.  If anything does "go wrong" (may God forbid), we just want the financial side of it taken care of, without fuss.  We will have enough worry and concern with the health of our loved one - we don't need added stress with funding treatment!

I voted with my feet and switched to Pet Plan, who were terrific.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
thank you - so its thumbs down to Tesco then!

Ben is not innoculated, but titre tested to check his immunity, and some insurers do have problems with that, but they don't all make it clear when you want to buy the policy - they say yes tio anything then, its only later it becomes an issue!!

Bens mum

Offline GB

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 08:46:17 PM »
Dexter is insured with Tesco, they have paid a recent claim direct to the vets without any problems.