Author Topic: Eating Fox Poo  (Read 9582 times)

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
Eating Fox Poo
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:24:40 PM »
Why oh why does my dog eat fox poo ?  She really enjoys it, eats it as though shes never been fed >:(   Is it possible to stop dogs doing this or just a case of hoping that whenever youre on a walk you see it before she does.  She also rolls in it.  Does it mean she is missing something in her diet, or is it just something that some dogs (unfortunately mine) do !!  Any advice appreciated (or anyone else out there with a dog that does this please post, so I know we are not alone !!).

Lynne
mollypooch

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Eating Fox Poo
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
or just a case of hoping that whenever youre on a walk you see it before she does.

That's been my experience  >:( :005:

Oh believe me, you are most certainly not the only one with this problem!  ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
Does it mean she is missing something in her diet, or is it just something that some dogs (unfortunately mine) do !!  Any advice appreciated (or anyone else out there with a dog that does this please post, so I know we are not alone !!).

You are certainly not alone!  >:(  Coco used to eat all sorts of poo - her own, other dogs, cat, horse, cow, rabbit, deer, sheep, swan ......... you get the idea!  She used to be desperate for it - but she seems to have more or less grown out of it and will sometimes just have a little nibble but she will usually stop when I say no  ::)  I always have treats in my pocket and if I saw her about to eat poo I would just say firmly "no" and distract her with a tasty treat.  You wouldn't think it was hard to find something more tasty than horse poo but it is harder than you would imagine  :005:  Coco also likes to bodyslam cowpats - the runnier the better.   ::)

How old is your dog?  She may grow out of it but some dogs seems to persist longer than others!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
Mollys just turned 4 and seems to be getting worse.  She just seems to suck fox poop up in one whooosh !!  disgusting. 

Relieved that we're not the only owners who seem to have this problem.

L
mollypooch

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:57:07 PM »
we were out in the country park earlier and sam spotted some fresh horse poo. oh my god he was like a dog possessed! :005: he was on the lead so was pretty easy to distract him-but he did managed to get a few mouthfulls :005:

Offline helenb

• Site Member
  • Maddie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
I noticed an awful smell coming from Maddie's mouth a few weeks ago and wondered what it was, it was like a sour milk smell. A few hours later I was in the garden and I saw Maddie go behind a tree and stay there for a while, when I investigated I caught her licking fox poo!  :005: Disgusting!!! >:D

My sister's 2 dogs (Bouvier and xbreed) also have a liking for fox poo and they are about 6 years old, so it is not something that they have grown out of!
I now walk around the garden and can smell fox poo from a few feet away, I have the nose for it now!  :005:
I just make sure that there is none about for Maddie to lick by trying to get to it before she does! >:D :005: