Author Topic: which insurance recommended? good experiences?  (Read 6389 times)

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
which insurance recommended? good experiences?
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:17:01 PM »
puppy insurance due to run out have researched this and healthy pets seem reasonable..does anyone know better? thanks for any reccomendarions!
jo & ruby =)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: which insurance recommended? good experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:05:18 AM »
If you do a search you will find lots of threads on insurance, it's a bit of a hot topic. In terms of cover offered PetPlan and M&S are probably the best ones but they are both expensive.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
avoid E&L like the plague and if you go with other insurers make sure that they are not underwritten by them, they have a reputation of NOT paying out even when you are covered.

I've got petplan and other than the huge price and the large excess they have been as good as gold, Ayla is on M&S but I can't comment because so far I haven't actually made a claim she's been very healthy. :D

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:02:56 PM »
All ours are insured with M&S. Though it's not the cheapest anymore, we have claimed lots and have never had any problems with payments at all.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:56:30 PM »
oh I just had to make the big leap into insurance for the first time. 

I took a whole afternoon of researching and comparisons.  I ended up with Petplan, BUT, they will not insure Daisy (12 weeks) third party liability, whilst she is with me at work.  None of them would.  And she is with me all day long at work, Monday - Friday.  Luckily we are on our own in the middle of a 3 acre field, so (hopefully) not much can go wrong!!!   I'm paying £22.80 per month, but I got the first month free.

I know some people who are paying £7 a month, but I never found any as cheap as that.  The cheapest I found was £13 per month, and the most expensive was £35 per month. 

You just have to read it all and make a gut decision in the end - and we all hope we never need to call upon it.

Good luck!

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:24 PM »
thanks! think post code may be an important factor healthy pets came in around a tenner a month..which seemed pretty reasonable to me ...obviously a savings plan is another option..don t want to take chances with my reckless "ruby" though.. comparing like for like does my head in.. i guess something is better than nothing!I really appreciate your comments. if they can make unreasonable exceptions i guess they will!
jo & ruby =)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »
thanks! think post code may be an important factor healthy pets came in around a tenner a month..which seemed pretty reasonable to me ...obviously a savings plan is another option..don t want to take chances with my reckless "ruby" though.. comparing like for like does my head in.. i guess something is better than nothing!I really appreciate your comments. if they can make unreasonable exceptions i guess they will!

Savings plans won't be enough to cover third party liability claims, if you are unlucky enough to need it - the cover offered by insurance policies is £millions  ;)
It isn't just for bites/attacks either; if your dog causes a road accident, or even ruins a crop of watercress by going swimming, you might just need it  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »
pedigree dogs don't get the cheaper insurance but if its a heinz 57 meant to be healthier because its not inbred they get a cheaper insurance also because of the reduced value.

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:54:37 AM »
We've used Petplan for Charlie, and they are really good. Our other dog and the cats are with E&L, and we've not been too happy with them  >:D - personally, I wouldn't use E&L again.

Silkex

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »
whats E&L?

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
Equine and Livestock - an insurance.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »
Be very careful to read the small print.  When we had our Yorkie Meg, we thought we had very good insurance for the dogs we had.  However, when Meg was taken ill (She had Cushings already, then developed diabetes and got an infection, which unfortunately finally killed her) we discovered that what we thought was lifetime insurance, was not
Had Meg lived, we would soon have been in the terrible position of her medication costing so much each month that her insurance would have run out really quickly - and then we would have had to carry on paying the medication costs ourselves.  The Cushings medication was not too bad (about £1.00 per day) but had she lived I have no idea how much her diabetes would have cost us each month, and she may have been left with other medical problems that needed long term treatment too.  Once we realised this, and after Meg had passed away, we immediately changed our other dogs to a lifetime cover insurance policy - even though it meant that they had 2 policies running together for a while until the first one finished.
Just be careful!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline nikkij

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
I am with petplan at the moment as this is what Alfie came with from the breeder but am now  looking around ready for when this runs out.  My mum is with pinnacle for her Airedale and she recommended them to me.  They had quite a few problems with his legs as he was growing and had many trips to the vets, they always paid up quickly and were very helpful.  I think they pay around £17 a month for their most comprehensive cover (it is lifetime as well).
Nikki and Alfie X

Offline MaryAnne

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
Hi All,
We are picking up our new puppy Lola on the 2nd Sept.Our breeder has her insured with the kennel club . She is covered with this for 6 weeks after she gets home . Any one out there have any experience with them as an insurer ? Any advice would be appreciate.
Thanks MaryAnne

Offline dawny67

• Site Member
  • lady
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »
ive got lady insured with buddies. costs me £6.75 a month x