Author Topic: Any tips for our first companion dog show tomorrow  (Read 2064 times)

Offline tashasmum

• Site Member
Any tips for our first companion dog show tomorrow
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
Hi

Tomorrow we are going to our first companion dog show and I'm not sure what to expect.  Tasha is only six months old, will she have to compete against much older and better behaved dogs who all know what to do?  It's being done for charity and we were asked to come at our dog training classes so I am hoping it's not too formal.  Also Tasha is half show dog and half working dog will this affect her chances of winning a pedigree class.  I know it's only a bit of fun but I would like to know what to expect when we get there.  I have given her a bath and trimmed her paws so she looks respectable and she is now banned from rolling in the mud until tomorrow night.  Any advice would be great thanks.  Nikki.

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Any tips for our first companion dog show tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
Hiya,

Ozzy's also going to his first companion show tomorrow, so I know how you feel. He's five months old and keeping him from getting filthy is somewhat challenging.  :005:

Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do fine. :D

Offline Teisen_bach

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
Good luck both of you....hope you will take loads of photos to show us.

Ive never done it before so i cant offer advice except....just relax and enjoy it  ;)
Hugs from Jue & Teisen bach xx

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »
I'm off to one tomorrow too. I hope you have a great time. Just watch the other peope with care and also keep your eye on the judge.
I'll be at Gosfield :D
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:20:07 PM »
We were quite suprised to find seasoned show campaigners at little fun shows although I now appreciate that usually they are with inexperienced dogs, however rather than feeling intimidated we positioned ourselves in close to one who was being quite friendly and who offered advice (as well as us being ablt to watch what they were doing, getting yourself halfway through the group is probably good for the same reason.

Louie is part worker and didn't get placed against the group but then neither did he stack like the "show" dogs or trot neatly at handlers side.  Treat it as fun for the charity concerned and if you have a rosette or many at the end of the day then it's even better.

Good luck with keeping him clean and for the show, hope the weather holds for you, our last one was very wet but at least we all had drowned rats!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
How did you get on with Tasha today?  :D

Unfortunately we were too late to enter Ozzy (due to a change in circumstance that held us up) but he had a nice time anyway.

Offline tashasmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:52:34 PM »
We went and entered several classes but left after the puppy class because the competition was so fierce, It was quite fun but I really don't think that it is for me.  A lady with a springer came to talk to me about my springer puppy when I told her that Tasha was a cocker she lost all interest.  I didn't like the fact that nobody could bring themselves to be nice about anyone elses dog as they see them as competition so we left after the puppy class.  Tasha will always be a winner for us but it was just a little to clicky for me I'm afraid.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »
We went and entered several classes but left after the puppy class because the competition was so fierce, It was quite fun but I really don't think that it is for me.  A lady with a springer came to talk to me about my springer puppy when I told her that Tasha was a cocker she lost all interest.  I didn't like the fact that nobody could bring themselves to be nice about anyone elses dog as they see them as competition so we left after the puppy class.  Tasha will always be a winner for us but it was just a little to clicky for me I'm afraid.

Oh, what a shame :( I admit that do find the Open and Champ shows I go to with Cheryl as her roadie can be a bit "clique'y" as you describe at times (there are lots of lovely people, too  ;)) - but I have done two Companion shows in the last fortnight with lil'bit, and although some of the "serious" showing fraternity were there, there were more people like us who were looking for a bit of fun, and in fact, one lady who was looking down her nose at us left when her Championship Labrador wasn't placed in the prettiest bitch novelty class :lol:

Perhaps you could try a different show before you write it off; I was very reluctant to try it, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got there and found people who were friendly and welcoming  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tashasmum

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
Does it matter that Tasha is a mix of worker and show dog as she looks very different to the show type, won't this stop her from doing well in these competitions as she isn't what they are looking for in the breed standard?  It also didn't help that I was the only person there with a cocker spaniel so I found it difficult as there was noone who I could even ask about this.  We are going to try agility with her when she is old enough as I believe that she is more suited to this. Thanks for the advice though.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
No Dyllan is a mix too and smetimes does well sometime he doesn't.
Some shows are a bit full on some are much much nicer.
Once the ped classes are over they seem to be quite fun and  raise money for charities :D

I one I was at today was lovely others I've been to I won't do again next year.
Dyllan started agility a little while back and his worker mind is a big help then.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »
We haven't entered any pedigree classes (yet) - Bonnee is half the size of the Breed Standard for cockers, but Lil'bit is keen to try  :D The novelty classes are fun; and we noticed that most of the "serious" showers tend to leave before those, and it gets quite carnival-like with fancy dress and tricks  :D

I'm going to watch my first Agility show at the end of the month - Molo is ready to compete, so we thought we'd go along and have a look-see  ;)

Thinking about it - I seem to have it the wrong way around; Molo is far closer to breed standard that Bonnee; yet we are exhibiting Bonnee and doing agility with Molo.......hey-ho; it's all about having fun  :lol:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
Neither of our boys are breed standard so haven't done well in AV pedigree classes, but we had fun in the "fun" classes like best condition, best local dog etc and quite often some of the serious show folk pack up and go home when they start, so its a lot less competitive.

Try one more and have a go at fun classes  :D

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline sam jane

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
Hi,
 Just read through some of your other posts and realised it must have been haddiscoe you went to, I was there with my cocker 'Storm' we entered the junior class. Pity I didnt see you there we could have had a chat, I haven't been showing all that long and when you first start it is abit daunting but  I have made some good friends. It can be competitive you kind of get the 'bug' but its good fun too! Tilly another one of my spaniels isnt quite to breed standard but I do the novelty classes with her which we both enjoy and she does reasonably well at, especially the waggiest tail :D