Author Topic: Charlie has developed some issues .... :((  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Charlie has developed some issues .... :((
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
It seems a shame that he is now going to branded a "biter" - what you describe has happened between lil'bit and both my dogs, but it doesn't relate to a resource guarding problem which is totally different and unrelated  :-\

[/quote]

Look at my bayley who was due to be PTS for aggression.
Does he look aggressive to you?

He had his moments and still does occasionally
Just needed a helping hand and some understanding and patience.
Dogs like him aren't for everyone but it is important to get this dog in a home where someone knows what they are doing or he might bounce from home to home again and again.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »

I dont want charlies "bite" to be taken out of context, it was a playfull interaction of my daughters face and his mouth......

Which could have happened between any young dog, and any child - even under supervision as this was. It seems a shame that he is now going to branded a "biter" - what you describe has happened between lil'bit and both my dogs, but it doesn't relate to a resource guarding problem which is totally different and unrelated  :-\

this is exactly why I posted my reply, it is not related to the resource guarding, but just brought home how quick something can happen even under supervision, I would not label charlie as a "biter"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

I dont want charlies "bite" to be taken out of context, it was a playfull interaction of my daughters face and his mouth......

Which could have happened between any young dog, and any child - even under supervision as this was. It seems a shame that he is now going to branded a "biter" - what you describe has happened between lil'bit and both my dogs, but it doesn't relate to a resource guarding problem which is totally different and unrelated  :-\

this is exactly why I posted my reply, it is not related to the resource guarding, but just brought home how quick something can happen even under supervision, I would not label charlie as a "biter"

The problem is that now it has been described as a bite, then rehoming him becomes that much harder as jools said, because breed rescue (and many other rescues) will not take him on (and they do read this forum)  :-\

If he was not a guarder, but this had happened - what would you have done? I don't think that this incident changes anything really.........but I know you were heading towards the decision to rehome him even before this happened :(

Have you spoken to your vet about a behavioural referral?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »
I don't want this to be turned into a heated debate, but I really think that before it is suggested that Charlie has a biting problem, or worse, Rage Syndrome, that his behaviour is fully assessed - if it is resource guarding and Phil is worried about his young daughter than he is completely justified in thinking that perhaps a different home as he's suggested may be more appropriate for Charlie.

None of us can see how Charlie is reacting, and imho Phil is really courageous by wanting to re-home him in this way.

I agree with Penny, Rachel and Mark wholeheartedly.
helen & jarvis x

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
Oh Phil, I really feel for you.

I think its really admirable that you are doing the right thing for Charlie and for your daughter. It must be a really difficult and distressing decision to take and one that can't have been made easily  :-\

I hope that you manage to find the right way of rehoming him so that he ends up in a home who can work with his issues to resolve them, with someone who understands him.

Good Luck

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »
Thank you Livercake and CarolineL

Charlie is not a biter, nor does he have any symptoms of rage syndrome... the original post does contain the word bite and the word (mouth) and also states that it was in a play context

I really wish I had not used the word as it has not been picked up on and taken out of proportion

this is the same play as most puppies would do when excited, it was only mentioned to get across the point that even under supervision that things can happen quickly

if it had of been a resource guarding related incident,
1.  they would not have been playing together
2 . there would have been a warning growl / bark that would have stopped any anything from happening as Grace would have been removed from the situation very quickly

please do not take my misuse of english as Charlie being a biting monster, as that is not the case ... he just resource guards and with having a 3 year old I cannot take the risk of anything happening as my daughter does not know how to read the signs and react

is any dog that jumps up always a menace ?
is a dog that nibbles your fingers or toes and gives them a good licking a vicious biter ?
is a dog that play growls when you play tug a guarding dog
is a dog that eats quickly and does not want you to take his food away a problem dog

Id like to think that the answer to these is no ...... I hope you do too

please in this time of upset (I was crying my eyes out when I typed the post) do not take the word bite out of context

Thank you
Phil and Charlie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 08:23:59 PM »

None of us can see how Charlie is reacting, and imho Phil is really courageous by wanting to re-home him in this way.

I agree with Penny, Rachel and Mark wholeheartedly.

I agree.

Phil I really feel you you, this must be such a difficult situation to be in.

It's clear you are trying to find a solution that's in the best interest of both Charlie and your daughter. You are obviously a very caring dad & dog owner .

Keep your chin up  :-*

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
i feel for you being in this situation. i think YOU know it is not suitable to have charlie with your daughter around. yes i think his problems could be overcome but you know what it best for you!! :-*

thinking of you :-*

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 08:52:03 PM »
hi Phil

I just wanted to say that you should do what ever you think is right for you and your family and not feel guilty about your decision, after all your family should always come first :blink:
thinking of you.

Michelle
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
I've only just caught up with this.

I really feel for you and I know that you are making this decision in the best interest of your family and if you feel that Charlie has to be re-homed, than that's what you have to do.

I can understand that your heart will be breaking and it will be a very difficult time for you all, but IMHO you are making the right decision.  As many people have said before, your young daughter has to be your priority.

I can't really give you any advice, but please know that I will be thinking about you all and I hope Charlie finds a loving home to go to.

Best Wishes

Jen

x
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline gayle1

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
Phil,
I just read through all the posts.
You sound very upset, you sound as if you are pulling yourself to pieces.
Please do not feel bad.
I cannot offer any advice at all as Ella has only once growled over a tripe treat and nipped my 10 year old and that was when she was about 3 months old. I solved it by giving her the tripe treat and taking it off her and then handing it back when she did not growl, over a matter of a week she was over the growl and has never had food issues and has never behaved that way again, so I can not offer one scrap of advice except to say, please try to keep your chin up.
I hate it when people are upset, I always want to make it better.
All I can do is send you love and wish you well.
gayle x   :'(
Gayle & Ella (Sprocker)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »
Really sorry to hear that it's come to this Phil  :'(  Good luck finding Charlie a rescue space or a new forever home, NESSR take in cockers so it might be worth giving Cynthia a call... www.nessr.org.uk
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 10:58:28 PM »
So sorry your having to rehome you boy  :'(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Closing this thread at Phil's request.