Author Topic: Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)  (Read 12169 times)

Offline kayj

• Site Member
Rage syndrome (UPDATE. Good News)
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Does anybody have a cocker wsith rage syndrome?
We took Gypsy our 3yr old Cocker off a girl who said she couldn't keep her because she was pregnant. We can now understand why she couldn't keep her but just wish she had told us.
Gypsy's behaviour is so random, she will be one minute having a cuddle with me and then just turn on me (very nastily) A few weeks ago I was changing my bed and Gypsy was on the landing and couldn't see me but for some unknown rerason she came barging in and went for me, I was lucky as she just gave me a puncture wound. I was going in my coat pocket on sunday night as she just come from nowhere again and luckly my reactions were quick. She very often shows me and my husband her teeth. We don't tell her off as we know she cannot help it as after she as done it she goes back to being the lovely adorable dog that she is. Alot of friends and family tell us that we should think of rehoming her but there is no way on this earth we will ever do that as she is very much a part of our family. Gypsy will also g for Molly and Sam (2 more of our dogs) again with no warning and Molly & Sam can be asleep or just wandering about not even near her.
I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone could give us. We have only had Gypsy since february this year.  :D

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Re: Rage syndrome
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »
before you go down the often misdiagnosed route of rage, get in a qualified behaviourist to see what triggers there may be that sets her off
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
Definitely agree with Daunting, rage is a very complex and emotive subject and it's impossible for any 'layperson' to diagnose it over a forum or to give advice on how you should 'treat' your dog in this situation. Please do speak to your vet and firstly get your girl a thorough health check to ensure there is no underlying medical cause for her behaviour, I would ask for blood tests as part of this as well, and then ask for a reference to an experienced, APBC registered behaviourist, preferably one with experience of cocker spaniels. Because of the 'rage reputation' a lot of behaviours which would be attributed to other sources in other breeds of dog are mistakenly said to be 'rage' in cockers  :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »
She has had a thorough vet check and everything is normal, we are awaiting to hear from a behavourist that our vet as referred us to. My vet as indicated that she is 100% sure that Gypsy does have rage syndrome as she as actually seen how she is in one of her moments, I don't mean in my vets surgery either I mean at home in Gypsy's own enviroment. Just while I was reading your replies Gypsy as just gone for me again.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
She has had a thorough vet check and everything is normal, we are awaiting to hear from a behavourist that our vet as referred us to. My vet as indicated that she is 100% sure that Gypsy does have rage syndrome as she as actually seen how she is in one of her moments, I don't mean in my vets surgery either I mean at home in Gypsy's own enviroment. Just while I was reading your replies Gypsy as just gone for me again.

I would wait for the behaviourists view before you label Gypsy - vets aren't behavioural experts, and although your vet MAY be correct in this case, the fact that she has referred you to an expert is a good thing  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline kayj

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
I suppose we are looking at the worst case scenario and then if she hasn't got it then it is a bonus :blink: I was just wondering if anybody knew what they are given medicine wise if anything as I would hate her to have to be drugged up as she is such a lovable dog when she doesn't go ff on one and I would hate to change that.
I really appreciate all you replies

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:51:15 AM »
The things is you didn't get her through a rescue so she couldn't be monitored before being placed in a new home, without seeing her behaviour over a period of time in her previous home it's difficult to say whether this aggression started since she's been with you, or whether the previous owners caused it. Rage is very rare and misdiagnoses is very common, things that all types of dogs would do are seen as rage when a cocker does it  :-\.  
Cayley.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 10:56:58 AM »
http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/

You might find the above link useful. Linda, who runs the info centre is a cocker breeder and is very knowledgebale on behavioral issues. I would drop Linda an email.

Good Luck!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
I agree with the others plus did vet check her eyesight as that can sometimes cause behavioural problems in that they can see odd things, eg as if they're looking at life through frosted glass so everything they come into contact with looks weird
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
 :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »
I agree with everyone about a good behaviourist and hopefully cockerspanielrage will be able to help.

I don't think you would find it very easy to rehome her anyway - I don't think any rescue centre would take on a dog that is known to have bitten and she could end up being pts.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
there are rescues who will take on and assess the dogs themselves  ;)

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
Sorry to hear you have concerns about Gypsy ..hope something can be done to help x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »

Let me know which behaviourist you are recommended, as my vet in Bury sent me to one with Billy. She was ok, but a bit "old school"  :-\

Since then I have found someone absolutely superb. She's qualified and very very experienced with a very honest & open approach. She's worth her weight in gold to me. If you like I can give you her details, she's based  Liverpool way but definately worth the few extra miles.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
I would be looking for a veterinary behaviourist and a full  member of the APBC.
I have known cases where rage has been misdiagnosed even by behaviourists when really the dog was reacting due to a blood sugar level problem.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk