Author Topic: Alfie's balanitis is back  (Read 14361 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Alfie's balanitis is back
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:40:13 PM »
Deep deep joy  ::)  He was licking a lot and I was starting to notice 'that' smell again so I took a swab into the vet last Thursday and fairly unsurprisingly the result of balanoposthitis came back. I'm not keen to have him on another 4 courses of extra strong antibiotics which is what it took to clear it up earlier this year so we have gone down the homeopathic route and he is on Merc Sol plus rinsing with Manuka oil. He's been very good with it bless him and there does appear to have been an improvement from the weekend when it was pretty manky (and he was staying with a long suffering friend as I was away for a couple of days, I don't think he realised that willy washing would be one of the duties involved in dogsitting  :005:) so we'll see if it does the trick and gets rid of it although it's getting it to stay away which has been the problem for us. The homeopathy is definitely going to get a good try though because other than the antibiotics the only other 'medical' way that's been suggested to sort it out is castration  :-\  and while it may come to that yet I want to explore all the options first.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Alfie's balanitis is back
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
Have you tried using Colloidal Silver to swab/wash the area, too?  I have found it helps with Molo, who gets this now and again  :-\

Why would castration make a difference?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »
Goose has had this (mildly) and he hasnt had it since he has been castrated. I was forever washing his winkie and the mess he left on my bed,chairs etc was disgusting let alone giving me a kiss  ph34r

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »
Have you tried using Colloidal Silver to swab/wash the area, too?  I have found it helps with Molo, who gets this now and again  :-\

Castrated dogs have fewer penile secretions/discharges which are an element in recurrent balanoposthitis so it's usually suggested as a possible 'cure' rather than having the dog on repeated courses of strong antibiotics. This is the 5th time Alfie has had it this year so it's pretty much chronic with him and he's unlikely ever to get rid of it completely  :-\  

I've got some CS on order but it hasn't arrived yet, should be here in the next couple of days though  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:54:58 PM »
Really hope the homeopathy clears it up. What a great dog-sitter you have - mine would draw the line at willy washing  :lol: :lol:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Really hope the homeopathy clears it up. What a great dog-sitter you have - mine would draw the line at willy washing  :lol: :lol:

:005:

Don't think I could wash Billys willie to be honest  :005: It was bad enough when I had to rubb cream onto his testicles when he had dermatitis. That felt ssooo wrong  :005:

Aw poor Alfie, hope he's better soon Nic, he must be feeling really uncomfortable bless him  :'(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »

Castrated dogs have fewer penile secretions/discharges which are an element in recurrent balanoposthitis so it's usually suggested as a possible 'cure' rather than having the dog on repeated courses of strong antibiotics. This is the 5th time Alfie has had it this year so it's pretty much chronic with him and he's unlikely ever to get rid of it completely  :-\ 

Sorry to hear he is poorly :(

Would temporary treatment with tardak help?  If the secretions could be reduced temporarily in order for the infection to be entirely eliminated through homoeopathic/natural treatments, then maybe it would be less likely to reoccur....... :-\   I know that Tardak also had side effects, but it may be a less invasive solution than castration?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
Sorry to hear he is poorly :(

Would temporary treatment with tardak help?  If the secretions could be reduced temporarily in order for the infection to be entirely eliminated through homoeopathic/natural treatments, then maybe it would be less likely to reoccur....... :-\   I know that Tardak also had side effects, but it may be a less invasive solution than castration?

It's something else I'm looking into for him  :D  I have a load of bumpf on it to read over the weekend. I'm willing to look at pretty much everything I can before castrating him. I would have had him done eventually but he's not even 2 yet. If it turns out that nothing else works and it's the only thing that will bring him permanent relief from it then it'll be done but fingers crossed maybe something else will work. He's had quite a long respite from it up until last week, from about March this year, so I was disappointed that it came back. The vet said it basically confirmed that he has it as a chronic infection.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:24 PM »

:005:

Don't think I could wash Billys willie to be honest  :005: It was bad enough when I had to rubb cream onto his testicles when he had dermatitis. That felt ssooo wrong  :005:

Aw poor Alfie, hope he's better soon Nic, he must be feeling really uncomfortable bless him  :'(

If it was a choice between that smell and nasty damp patches everywhere and a good scrub out you'd be getting the latex gloves out believe me  :005:

Thanks for the wishes guys, he was a bit iffy at the weekend but is actually really well in himself now, eating fine and running around like a maniac as usual so you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him :luv: 

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:19:52 PM »
poor Alfie  :luv:

hope you get it sorted one way or the another for good Nic  ;)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
Have you tried aloe vera gel and/or a tea tree oil solution?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:20 AM »
I don't think he realised that willy washing would be one of the duties involved in dogsitting 

:rofl1:  The things we go through for our dogs!  ::) :005:

Hope you can get Alfie sorted, poor baby. (Manuka oil? I'd heard of manuka honey, but not oil?)

For some reason this thread reminds me of when a bunch of us went out to dinner after a dog show. We were happily discussing all those things near and dear to dog peoples hearts, like worms, vomit, poo......until we realized that maybe our fellow diners might not be so appreciative of our conversation  ph34r :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 07:40:45 AM »
Aw, poor wee Alfie. Hope he's better and back to his bouncy self soon.

BTW - so glad I have bitches .... eeew!  :005:
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
Poor Alfie :huh: :'( i hope he's feeling a bit more comfortable soon and that the homopathic remedies do the trick.
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »
Just had to look it up - never heard of it before.
Poor Alfie, and poor you what a job  ;)