Author Topic: West of England Cocker Club Open Show/January 26 2008  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
West of England Cocker Club Open Show/January 26 2008
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Just a reminder that entries close for West of England's Open Show at Cricklade Town Hall (Jan 26) on December 28th. The judge is Anne O'Keefe from Australia so the chance for a fresh opinion :D

If anyone wants a schedule, you can download one from the Club website HERE
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: West of England Cocker Club Open Show/January 26 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
Thanks Jane, I've already posted my entry, Florence :luv: & I will be there.  :shades:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 05:00:40 PM »
Excellent :D Wonder if we can get Mary there this time??
Jane

Offline tonio

• Site Member
  • Freddie is taking flying lessons:Stage one,taxying
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »

I've entered Freddie,this'll be his first Show, and mine.
So will some kind CoL ier tell me what to expect and,more importantly, what is expected of me and he?
I've entered him in the Novice and Yearling classes as he won't reach his second birthday til April.He still needs some reinforcement training,like walking to heel and recall but I guess he won't be required to demonstrate his lack of these.(I hope)
Tonio

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »
I would have liked to have entered but unfortunately it's just to far for us, for an open show. Hope it goes well and look forward to seeing the results - Good luck Michele with Florence. :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »
I've entered Freddie,this'll be his first Show, and mine.
So will some kind CoL ier tell me what to expect and,more importantly, what is expected of me and he?

Tonio, have you been to any ringcraft classes with Freddie? If so, you'll just be expected to do the same routine at the show as you do for ringcraft ie stand your dog on the table for examination by the judge, then follow what the judge asks you to do ie walk your dog up and down once or twice or perhaps do a triangle. Sometimes before each dog is examined on the table, the judge will ask all the exhibitors in the class to move their dogs around together in a circle but it depends on the judge and how big the class is really. If you haven't been to ringcraft, you'll be jumping in at the deep end a bit so I'd advise you to get to the show early and watch what everybody else does in the classes before your class. Don't worry though - we're a friendly bunch and if you're not sure what to do, someone will be happy to help you :D

Jane

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:43:33 PM »
Good Luck Tonie & Freddie im sure your be ok  :D

We shall be there with our 3,Cilla is also in Novice & Chico's in yearling.

Offline tonio

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »

Freddie and I have not done ANY ringcraft work and now I'm really worried! I can certainly walk him around whilst he's on a lead but I wouldn't trust him to behave if off lead and excited by all the other cockers around. Perhaps I'm trying to run before figuring out how to walk.
I was under the impression that he would be judged against the breed standard and I think he would measure up well to this even with his funny and almost unique hairy head, more Old English Sheepdog than cocker !

I'll still take him, if only for the experience .
If anyone knows of ringcraft classes in the BRISTOL area I'm like Freddie.....all ears.
Tonio

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
I've never shown any of my dogs but did take Misty to a few ringcraft classes - there was so much more to it than I imagined and I'd come home mentally exhausted... it was bloody hard work. :005: Although the judges will be looking for conformation to the breed standard, it does require a Cocker to be well groomed to show off their best attributes and movement - a Cocker with a pet trim that includes a top knot would likely not fare too well and stick out like a sore thumb at an Open Show. Personally, I think you'd be better starting off with some ringcraft classes and some  exemption shows rather than diving straight in to an Open Show. It's definitely worth popping along to the West Of England show to see how things operate at that level though, people will be more than happy to have a chat and maybe give you some tips etc.

This site has ringcraft classes listed...

http://www.bestofbreeds.com/clubcorner/dogs/ringcraftclubs.htm

Offline tonio

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »

Thanks Colin. That list  of ringcraft classes was useful There's one only 20 minutes from me so I shall investigate it.
I can't help the topknot on Freddie's head. Like Topsy it just grew and grew!! But he's still a lovely boy.
Tonio

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »
Hi  I would like to come along to cricklade on the 26th,never been to a show before (except crufts) could someone please tell me if i can bring my cocker even though she won't be taking part or would it be best to leave her at home. As lots of you guys go regularly thought you would have best advice for me :blink:

Thanks Jo    (hope this post in right place)

Offline spanielkiss

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
Sounds like there will be a few newby's there then , thank  goodness  :D .I will be there with Xenia at our 1st breed open .I am a bit nervous as we have only done one show and that was a general open .
Looking foreward to meeting some new cocker people though , I view COL a lot an it will be nice to put some faces to the names .

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:22 AM »
Hi  I would like to come along to cricklade on the 26th,never been to a show before (except crufts) could someone please tell me if i can bring my cocker even though she won't be taking part or would it be best to leave her at home. As lots of you guys go regularly thought you would have best advice for me :blink:

Sorry Jo, missed seeing this before. I'm afraid you'll have to leave your Cocker at home as only entered dogs are allowed into the hall where the show is being held (KC rules). Visitors without their dogs are more than welcome though so do come along if you can :D

Jane

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:28 AM »
Thank you  :blink: Me and my hubby are looking forward to seeing some of the cocker's and owners for the Forum. Best of luck cocker's and owners showing  :luv:

Its a shame we have no way of recognising each other  ::)     Jo  x

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
Excellent :D Wonder if we can get Mary there this time??

YES!!!!!! :D :D :D I'm coming :D  I probably can't get there until 12.30pm at the earliest as I run a junior badminton club on Saturday mornings (unless I can sneak away without the other coach noticing ;)).

Michele, what time are you showing?  Oooer, well excited now :D

Fancy a trip to Swindon Colin?
Mary & Lottie x