Author Topic: Anyone re-newed M&S Pet Insurance recently?  (Read 5606 times)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Anyone re-newed M&S Pet Insurance recently?
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:26:50 PM »
Hi all,

Just got my annual renewal details through for Henry's M&S Pet Insurance and I'm a bit concerned.  The letter says that they've changed providers and now use Royal and Sun Alliance which means that lots of the terms and conditions have changed.  The premium has also gone up quite a bit (287.88, which is 23.99 a month) and the excess has gone from zero to 70!!!

The problem is that Henry had quite a few vet trips about his ears in the first year (touch wood, he's had no problems for the last year or so) and I'm guessing that if I move insurer, his ears won't be covered.

Just wondered if anyone else has had to re-new lately?

Thanks!

xx
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Anyone re-newed M&S Pet Insurance recently?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Not renewed but when I looked at their site yesterday I noticed they now give the option of 2 different covers  :huh:
I'm sure they didn't before
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »
I am up for renewal next month and am a bit worried about how much mine is going to come to this year.  Pringle has had 2 claims this year for her eyes and a grass seed in her ear and we now know that she has got cataracts so we will have to declare those.  I can see it is going to be quite a lot  ::)
Ann and Pringle

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
Crunchie - since you're re-newing and not taking out a brand-new policy, I wouldn't think you'd need to declare the cataracts.  As long as you didn't know about them when you first took out the policy...

Yes, they only used to have one level of cover and now they have two.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
Have just renewed Lola's with More Than on line.   Cost was £189 for the year which was a £20 increase from last year but she is only 14 months and we have never had to claim (touch wood). 
There is a website which lists all the pet insurances for you to compare, but for the life of me I cannot remember its name or how I found it.  Perhaps somebody else can.

I should add that I did hunt around for a cheaper insurance, but the cover wasn't as good.  At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »
We have all 3 of our pets insured with M&S and the only changes we had (apart from cost) was having to pay an excess for each illness each year. My paperwork shows that it is Axa who are the underwriters tho?!

I won't move from M&S as all 3 of our pets have so many pre-existing conditions it just wouldn't be worth it to reduce the premiums....

Janey

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »
*generally* when you are Insured via a branding company ala M&S and THEY change the Insurers then the new Insurers i.e. Royal & Sun Alliance *should* take on the book of polices on the same terms  they are at liberty to make rate increases (at renewal) but I am certain that they have to take the rough with the smooth so to speak.   (sorry vague I know, but thats Insurance for you  >:(

Basically, if you have made claims on your M&S policy and you dont think that another Insurer will take you on, you are best sticking with M&S  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
I am reassured to read your post Michelle - I have read a lot of scare stories on the internet since M & S changed underwriters and I have been agonising over what to do in July when Bonnee's policy needs renewing.

I have read that existing customers have had their T'c and C's changed.....does the FSA produce any guidance on how companies should behave in this situation?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
Rachel, no insurer can amend the agreed terms and conditions without notifying you and issuing a relevant endorsement or a policy addendum (sp)  However, I am quite certain that if an insurer has taken over a book of business they have to continue cover - the price is another issue altogether but this can only increase at renewal  :-\   I would imagine that the main issue here is pre-existing conditions and continuation of treatment - it is unlikely that they would be able to amend this in the policy, they can increase excesses but doubt that they can change this aspect - I will stand to be corrected though.    TBH I havent come across this scenario in block pet insurance but have in household insurance.   In household they have to take on the polices as per the previous contract so if you have been burgled umpteen times and had a £200k subsidence claim whereby no other insurer would touch you, the existing or rather continuing insurer would be obliged to remain on cover - in these circumstances however, it is always better to be with a Broker.

All insurers are different as I am sure you will appreciate - a fresh insurer or rather an actuary working for an insurer will look at various statistics from the claims experience and see if there is any trend in certain types of dogs and certain types of claims so say for example and in lay terms and very losely   :shades: if there has been an increase of 10% in vets fees for cockers as opposed to only a 5% growth of business for cockers then the premium for that type of dog will obviously increase

I have said on previous threads on M&S that the bubble will burst and it appears to have done so.  There original prices were extremely low for the comprehensive cover that they provided with the addition of the nil excess. 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »
Sorry to be a pain, Michelle - but as Pet Insurance is renewed every year, does that mean that the T & C's can be changed on renewal?   So, if I bought M & S insurance because they covered a particular treatment, can they remove that cover when I renew (assuming I am not currently claiming for that particular treatment)?

This is the bit that bugs me; I picked a policy because of it's cover, and am now tied to that company because of claims I have made, no matter what changes they make to the cover they offer me in future years  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »
Rachel you're not a pain  ;)  insurance is a complex issue and having been in the industry for more years than I care to mention there are still questions and scenarios that come up and I need to check ;)  but perhaps thats me just getting older  :lol:

Insurance is a contract between two parties i.e. you and the Insurer.  Both have a duty to each other - i.e. you to tell the truth at inception and for them to provide cover as per the policy-  I am sure that they cannot just take away cover that you have entered into a contract for but insurers are at liberty to change *certain* t&c's 

So say for example they decide that behavioural cover is running at a massive loss - they will simply drop this for new customer but honour it for existing they could however, increase the excess but only at renewal date.

I will however, double check this point tomorrow

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
I've just noticed that there's an exclusion under Veterinary Fees which says that if your vet is closed, you must contact M&S's out of hours service.  So, does that mean that if you have an emergency in the middle of the night, you can't see the Vet without prior permission?! 

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:43:28 PM »
That's really interesting Michelle.

A friend has just had her renewal through, which shows the 'new' T&Cs. As her dog currently has hydrotherapy for arthritis, she rang to query the 'new' exclusion. She's been told that despite the fact it's an ongoing condition, and she has previously claimed, under the new policy she won't be able to claim anymore for hydrotherapy.They say that they are able to change T&C on renewal.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
Kali's policy is due for renewal in July I think.  I may consider changing :-\l
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
Unfortunately most insurance contracts are only for one year... so any terms and conditions can be changed ad lib by the insurer upon renewal as the original contract is terminated and then it's up to the customer to decide whether to renew or not! Only problem with pet insurance is of course, that it's not always quite as simple as that due to pre-existing conditions...  >:( and the insurers know that.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk