Author Topic: Anyone re-newed M&S Pet Insurance recently?  (Read 5607 times)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Anyone re-newed M&S Pet Insurance recently?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
That's really interesting Michelle.

A friend has just had her renewal through, which shows the 'new' T&Cs. As her dog currently has hydrotherapy for arthritis, she rang to query the 'new' exclusion. She's been told that despite the fact it's an ongoing condition, and she has previously claimed, under the new policy she won't be able to claim anymore for hydrotherapy.They say that they are able to change T&C on renewal.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh  this is what really annoys me.  >:D  >:D Hurley has arthritis as a result of an operation on his leg, of which we claimed for. As a result of the op he had hydrotherapy to assist with his recuperation. I have only stayed with M&S because I thought that we would always be covered for any incidences/claims that are related to his pre-existing condition ie if in future we needed further ops and further hydro - am I right in assuming that this is now not the case  :-\
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »
I don't know what it will mean to you Caroline - only know that they have apparently now a long list of things they won't pay for hydrotherapy on.

I know their 'get out' clause is that it's an annual policy, but when it was marketed as 'cover for life if you continue to pay your premiums', it does suggest  (to me anyway) that there would be some continuity of existing claims.

My renewals are due in Feb and March - and I'm expecting my 10 years old's policy to nearly double to £800, for in my view, an inferior product  >:D

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 06:48:27 PM »
I have run this scenario past an ex colleague who is more conversant with the underwriting of pet polices - unfortunately some chimp who was supposed to be fixing other computers in the office decided to break mine  >:D >:( so I have had no e mails for the afternoon - I am hoping that it will be rectified tomorrow.  Once I hear from the Oracle I will post on here. 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
I've just noticed that there's an exclusion under Veterinary Fees which says that if your vet is closed, you must contact M&S's out of hours service.  So, does that mean that if you have an emergency in the middle of the night, you can't see the Vet without prior permission?! 

There has been a huge outcry about this particular clause  >:(

I have just looked at the full wording of the new policy, and it states that you must call the M & S emergency veterinary line before you use an out of hours service at a practice that you are not registered with, or if you cannot get an appointment with a vet you are registered with and so go to another vet. 

Someone on another forum has also had confirmed by e-mail that if you take your dog to your normal vet as an out-of-hours emergency, and your vet doesn't confirm it as an emergency, then the insurance will not pay for the out-of-hours costs, but only cover a normal consultation fee.    :huh:   I will be discussing that one with my vets   :-\

Edited to add - reading the policy wording, it appears that in order to claim for dental or gum disorders, you have to ensure that your dog has an annual dental check-up  :o
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh  this is what really annoys me.  >:D  >:D Hurley has arthritis as a result of an operation on his leg, of which we claimed for. As a result of the op he had hydrotherapy to assist with his recuperation. I have only stayed with M&S because I thought that we would always be covered for any incidences/claims that are related to his pre-existing condition ie if in future we needed further ops and further hydro - am I right in assuming that this is now not the case  :-\

I might be wrong but i thought that continuing cover for an illness was reliant upon the insured maintaining the monthly premiums - that infers that the insurer has an equal responsibility to provide treatment so long as the premiums are paid. I think they would find it difficult to argue in court that they were no longer responsible, that said they would be within their rights to charge extra excesses and hike premiums until it becomes uneconomic to insure for the complaint. ph34r

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »

I might be wrong but i thought that continuing cover for an illness was reliant upon the insured maintaining the monthly premiums - that infers that the insurer has an equal responsibility to provide treatment so long as the premiums are paid. I think they would find it difficult to argue in court that they were no longer responsible, that said they would be within their rights to charge extra excesses and hike premiums until it becomes uneconomic to insure for the complaint. ph34r

Sadly, I have just found paragraph 8 of the General conditions applicable to the whole policy, which states:

When we offer further periods of insurance, we may change the premium and policy terms and conditions.

Sadly, I think they have us pet owners by the short and curlies  >:D
Oldies Club

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »
And, anyone who is thinking of changing to AXA (who used to underwrite M & S), there is a really big difference in the policies:

The M & S policy states that they will not pay "any claims that result from any illness that your pet should have been vaccinated against. For dogs, vaccinations should be for distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus."

Compare that to the wording in the Axa policy:

You must comply with the following conditions to have the full protection of Your Policy. If You do not comply We may at Our option cancel the Policy or refuse to deal with Your claim or reduce the amount of any claim payment.
 - You must ensure that Your Pet is vaccinated each year against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus

They may look the very similar, but there are two key differences. One is that the entire AXA policy could be invalidated if you chose not to have your dogs vaccinated (even on veterinary advice). Secondly, my vet (like an increasing number nationally), follow a three yearly vaccination schedule.....which again, means that they would not be covered by the insurance, even though they have been vaccinated to the schedule that the vaccine is licensed for!
Oldies Club

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »
And, anyone who is thinking of changing to AXA (who used to underwrite M & S), there is a really big difference in the policies:

The M & S policy states that they will not pay "any claims that result from any illness that your pet should have been vaccinated against. For dogs, vaccinations should be for distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus."

Compare that to the wording in the Axa policy:

You must comply with the following conditions to have the full protection of Your Policy. If You do not comply We may at Our option cancel the Policy or refuse to deal with Your claim or reduce the amount of any claim payment.
 - You must ensure that Your Pet is vaccinated each year against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus

They may look the very similar, but there are two key differences. One is that the entire AXA policy could be invalidated if you chose not to have your dogs vaccinated (even on veterinary advice). Secondly, my vet (like an increasing number nationally), follow a three yearly vaccination schedule.....which again, means that they would not be covered by the insurance, even though they have been vaccinated to the schedule that the vaccine is licensed for!

This is from the Healthy Pets policy

It is warranted that Your Pet is free from any Injury, Illness or physical disability whatsoever at the commencement date of this insurance (except as declared by You and accepted by Us). It is further warranted that Your Pet has received, at the appropriate time, initial and booster vaccinations against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus in the case of dogs, against feline infectious enteritis and feline influenza in the case of cats or as advised by a Vet. All vaccinations must be administered under veterinary supervision. Furthermore there is no cover provided for these conditions in the event that the appropriate vaccinations/boosters have not been administered to Your Pet at the appropriate time.

They seem to be saying that 3yrs between vaccination would be ok as long as it was advised by your vet - bizarrely they are also underwitten by axa!

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss