Author Topic: Weight  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Scrunch

Weight
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »
  :D
Would like to know what weight should my nearly 6 month old Goldllen Cocker Spaniel be?  She eats quite well, Bakers Puppy seems to be her favourite. Thanks for any suggestions

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: Weight
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »
my Barney is a very small cocker and he is 5.5 months and weighs 7.6kilos

They all vary so much, and there are threads on here that help explain it all I am sure

Offline Lucy585

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
I used the following site to help with Sam, but think it should only be used as a rough guide, my friends cocker was quite big so was always over the average and wasn't actually overweight! English cocker spaniels are below the American ones so just scroll down.

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/weights_der_cockerpups.htm

Hope it helps a bit

Offline Scrunch

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
 :D ;)
Thank you so much for that

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
I used the following site to help with Sam, but think it should only be used as a rough guide, my friends cocker was quite big so was always over the average and wasn't actually overweight! English cocker spaniels are below the American ones so just scroll down.

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/weights_der_cockerpups.htm

Hope it helps a bit

see knew my Barney was just a baby, he is gaining lots at the moment so think he is having a spurt, may catch up one day, my lovely pocket rocket

Offline Scrunch

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
 :005:  Does Barney keep you on your toes too?  Always wanting you to leave your work and go play?  My little Suu Kiy is such a sweetheart, plays with all the plants and flowers in the garden - by that I mean chews them!  Will have nothing left come Spring!!  Has her mad hour too tho', nothing is safe!  I love her to bits.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
Barney can not get to our flower beds as they are behind 6ft high retaiining walls (live on a hill)  He does not chew so I am very lucky, he loves to play but my 4 year old is great at doing that bit  ph34r

He loves his long walks and is off lead lots now which is great, so settling in really well

Offline Lucy585

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »
Sam still pulls the socks off of people feet (especially my brothers for some reason  :005: not that I am trying to imply anything!) and he is 10. Sam thats is.

He doesn't eat the flowers but has riuned them all by lifting his leg over them - for some reason it kills the plant where ever it touches!

He started off as small therefore underweight on the charts then suddenly spurted to being a big cocker spaniel, and we are still told he is too big (but not fat despite his best efforts with those eyes  :luv: !)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
max is 10.5 kg he is 9 months old, the vet told me last week if he does not grow any taller he is the perect weight for his size  :shades:

now ellie on the other hand is too fat  :embarassed: she is 2 yrs old and weighs 15.5 kg but is the same height as max so the vet said she should weigh the same as him :o

so ellie is now on a diet  :005:

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Well Callie is 8months and only weighs 8.5kg so by those charts she is under weight (or over aged lol and should only be 5months old) when infact she is the right weight for her size (body checking, so ribs and spine) I don't think there is a set weight for different ages of pup, as long as they fit their frame and you can feel ribs but not see them and there is a light covering of flesh over them your pup will be fine :D I was v. paranoid about Callies weight when she ws little but not now as I'm not measuring her against others just herself :D

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »
Whoops my Bramble is 6mths and is 13 kilos!! :o She is vey heavy and stocky whilst Oscar is soon to be 1 yr and is 12 kilos with a slight build bless him!   ::) Little and Large!!   :luv: Hoping she might thin out abit when she grows??! :lol:

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
As long as you can feel her ribs and she has a waist don't worry about the numbers :) if you can't do those things perhaps check what she is eating she might grow into it but it's better to have a steady healthy weight :)

Offline Lucy585

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
I did stress this was a guide only for the sort of average weights :embarassed: I don't want to be making people worried that their dogs are too skinny/fat!

So please don't get worried, as Aearoniel said the best way is to be able to feel the ribs but not be able to see them, the numbers were just provided to try and answer the OP's question of average weight!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:40 AM »
Bakers Puppy is full of additives and colourings - if I were you I would change (if you are continuing with kibble) to a product like Arden Grange or Burns  ;)
helen & jarvis x