Author Topic: burns  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
Re: burns
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:18 AM »
 :D Berrimans is good, my Boxer had colitis and he was genrally runny and this seemed to do the trick, I was also recommended Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe by people with the same problem but as I did not use it I can not comment.

http://www.berrimans.net/

We were also advised to cut out all the treats as they had the same effect, Good Luck!!!!!!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
I thought Charlie was a bit on the thin side with Burns so when I contacted them they suggested I change him to the small bite mix  for  pups and small adult dogs.  I give him half and half now and also add a bit of bolled chicken breast every 2nd night.  He seems to be maintaining his weight now. 
Cathy 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
I thought Charlie was a bit on the thin side with Burns so when I contacted them they suggested I change him to the small bite mix  for  pups and small adult dogs.  I give him half and half now and also add a bit of bolled chicken breast every 2nd night.  He seems to be maintaining his weight now. 
Cathy 

Adding chicken surely defeats the purpose of a 'complete' food?

My dog didn't thrive on burns, and frankly was completely disinterested in eating it.  We changed to Arden Grange and his coat improved (was very dull and dry), he became interested in food, and his weight improved, and so did his poo's....thank the lord  ::) Now he's BARF fed he has developed a real love for his meals  :D

As for pooing - dogs eliminate what they don't need and can't digest - that's why kibble fed dogs always seem to have far larger and softer poo's than Barf fed dogs.  I do think this is a direct result of all the carbs and additives in kibble, I know experts say otherwise.

I think every dog is different - when you have a dog that has a sensitive stomach you do try different things, and one 'brand' that works for one dog may not suit another.

Ellie+Max, if it were me I would get my dog to a homeopathic vet, get some allergy tests done and move on from there.  He may even have a rice or wheat intolerance so changing brands of kibble may never really help him  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
might want to look at gluten too.  The last rescue I had had a gluten intolerance.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
Cathy 

Adding chicken surely defeats the purpose of a 'complete' food?

My dog didn't thrive on burns, and frankly was completely disinterested in eating it.  We changed to Arden Grange and his coat improved (was very dull and dry), he became interested in food, and his weight improved, and so did his poo's....thank the lord  ::)

Alfie was exactly the same, he was skinny and looked scraggy on Burns but once on AG he thrived.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline pat anderson

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
I BTW I did mean peeled hard boiled eggs, blimey don't want to be responsible for any dog having to go to the vets egg bound  :005:

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »
believe it or not eggs make max sick  ph34r so he cant have them  :'(

he seems to be doing fine on the hills id his poos have deffo got better and its only been a week  :shades:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
Charlie has pancreatitis which is controlled by a low fat diet.  He was on hill prescription I/D which was costing a small fortune,  Burns is lower in fat than the Hills so I have to be carefull what i feed him.  i wanted to feed both charlie and my ESS senior on the same food and couldnt afford to give them both Hill so opted for Burns.  I know  topping up with chicken breast defeats the purpose but I see it as him getting a treat as he doesnt get any other treats due to his pancreatitis.  I may see if I can find another food that would be suitable in a lower fat content, as long as it is the same as or less fat the hill prescription diet.

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition