Author Topic: Why Ardern Grange?  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Why Ardern Grange?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
Have been doing some reading and it sounds like the company that owns JWB does animal testing so I will definately change the food. How long would I have to keep feeding the puppy JWB before I can start introducing a new one?

I expect you'll be wanting to avoiding all other Mars products too ;) If you want to know what they are, you'll find info on the company website HERE
Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
I've tried various foods and diets for my lot and for palatability, keeping them in good condition, suiting all of them as I don't really want to have 3 different diets going on, and what comes out the other end Arden Grange is the best one I've found. Alfie did terribly on Burns and ok on barf but there were a few issues and Tilly won't eat it so I was buying AG kibble for her anyway at the same time. I still give Alfie and Rodaidh some bone meals each week to keep their teeth clean but for the majoirty of their diet they all do really well on AG. JWB is a good food too, mine have had it before when I went on holiday once and my Mum ran out of AG (she overfeeds them  ::)) so bought them JWB as that was the best one available locally, they were fine but I would rather feed them something I'm completely happy with from a quality and ethical standpoint and AG wins out. I probably do on occasion buy some other products made by JWB's parent company but I don't buy or use them on an everyday basis, in fact very seldom (but I can't say 'never ever') but for something like the dogs' food which is used every single day and I buy in fairly sizeable quantities I'd rather make the more ethical choice.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 01:25:06 PM »
I think I will just stop reading food threads

My boy liks JWB and that's that

Hey, I eat doner kebabs when sober so I am no good either  :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »

I love a good Doner Kebab  :luv:  but they dont half make your fingers stink  :lol2:

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
I want to avoid using any petfood company that uses poor quality produce which I believe could be leading to the premature deaths of dogs.

I dont generally buy any of those products anyway.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »

I love a good Doner Kebab  :luv:  but they dont half make your fingers stink  :lol2:

can't beat a decent doner with chili sauce, maybe I could give it to Barney too  :005: :005:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
A lot of people (including myself) switched from James Wellbeloved to Arden Grange because of the way that JW keep dogs permanantly caged to conduct tests and trials with their food.  >:(

But they don't Michele ;) It's a myth that gets constantly promoted on forums but isn't actually true. JW do not do any tests apart from palatability tests on dogs in their own homes. The problem some people have is that JW is owned by Crown Pet Foods and Mars have a majority holding in Crown Pet Foods. Mars also owns Pedigree where some testing is done which is why some people boycott JW even though this food is not tested on caged animals(they presumably also boycott all other Mars products like chocolate bars & pasta sauces etc).

Arden Grange & James Wellbeloved are both quality brands so it's really a case of which food suits your dog the best rather than one being better than the other. We have just put our old girl on JW Senior and it's really suiting her whereas Arden Grange Senior made her very windy :005:

Thank you Jane for setting the record straight, I was drawing my advice from previous threads.  :-\

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »
Mine are currently on Burns but I'm not convinced it's quite enough for them with the amount of exercise we do so I may well change to Arden Grange in the future.

I have become a bit funny about JWB for personal reasons, My last dog was on it all his life and died very suddenly from either cancer or an AI problem aged 6. I recently had to buy an emergency bag of JWB when I ran out of Burns and my Weimaraner suffered a massive allergic reaction within 2 days of changing her (she had been on Bakers when I got her so I presumed she was pretty robust) and although it's not proven she didn't start to heal until I took her off JWB then suddenly got better very quickly (almost overnight after a week and a half on antibiotics and steroids not having any effect). My partners neighbour also has a lab x dog that's on JWB and also recently started having a funny reaction and she had to change food.

I'd like to make it clear that that I have no hard evidence that JWB has been the problem in any of these cases - but as I can't discount it either, and my 'gut feeling' is telling me it's connected I won't be feeding JWB to my dogs again. Burns or Arden Grange would be my choice every time.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
I expect you'll be wanting to avoiding all other Mars products too ;) If you want to know what they are, you'll find info on the company website HERE

Interesting to see from that link that the largest percentage (46%) of the pie chart is petcare, with snackfood just 1% less. Shows you how big the pet food market really is.

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
I changed mine over to Arden Grange after we got given a bag of it when we got placed at the KC Festival.  Could be my imagination but seems  Billy has a little bit more oomph on it  :D  Ted's skin has also improved (he gets dry skin on his ears!)

Got the girls on AG senior food now but only just changed over recently, so not much to report yet...
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline minstrel99

• Site Member
  • up close and Minstrel
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
Hi,
I would go on-line and do as much research into commercial dog food as you can. Most are full of absolute rubbish, and very little actual meat.
I switched to raw feeding 3 years ago and my dogs have never looked back. they have pristene mouths, good glossy coats with little to no smell other than a natural doggie smell and great fitness as well as the minimum amount of waste coming from the other end :005:. You have to know that what are feeding is good for your dogs as well as you.  good luck

Linda
Buddy, Teal, Rosie and Logan
Linda and the doglies x

Offline mfarrar

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
Hi,
I would go on-line and do as much research into commercial dog food as you can. Most are full of absolute rubbish, and very little actual meat.
I switched to raw feeding 3 years ago and my dogs have never looked back. they have pristene mouths, good glossy coats with little to no smell other than a natural doggie smell and great fitness as well as the minimum amount of waste coming from the other end :005:. You have to know that what are feeding is good for your dogs as well as you.  good luck

Linda
Buddy, Teal, Rosie and Logan

What raw things do you feed your dogs? Do you give them vitamin supplements?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
Thank you Jane for setting the record straight, I was drawing my advice from previous threads.  :-\

I think I may have tried to correct the assumption on a few threads but I don't read all the threads on the Feeding board so might have missed a few. I just didn't want JWB to come down on us like a sack of bricks one day for saying things that just aren't true :005: Royal Canin is another brand owned by Crown Pet Foods but for some reason it's JWB that always gets rubbished on forums rather than Royal Canin so I feel a bit sorry for them ;)

Jane

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
well my little man loves JWB and is gaining weight lovely, he likes the ocean fish one though  stinky, but if it makes him happy i am happy

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
Royal Canin is another brand owned by Crown Pet Foods but for some reason it's JWB that always gets rubbished on forums rather than Royal Canin so I feel a bit sorry for them ;)

and guess what Florence is fed on................ yup!