Author Topic: Junior Handling  (Read 6342 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Junior Handling
« on: February 25, 2004, 01:33:26 PM »
Since my family and I attended the Lancashire cocker show on Saturday, my daughter has turned into a showing monster :twisted:

She now plays showing in the hall with Billy as the Model (he is quite keen as she carries a bag of treats with her)

However if this is something that she would like to get into, and given that cocker 2 is still just a twinkle in its daddies eye :wink: , and Billy is not really show material  :lol: (sheep like) I was wondering if there would be any books that I could buy her that may hold her interest until we can start ringcraft with number 2 . All the books I have seen are either aimed at adults or are general dog books?

I am off to search amazon again but if anybody has any tips let me know.

Michelle                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Junior Handling
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 01:48:15 PM »
Even though you might not consider Billy to be show material you could still take him along to ringcraft. It would probably be good fun for both him and your daughter. She would then learn the basics in time for Cocker number 2's arrival on the scene. Having some prior knowledge would prove useful for then handling a wayward pup. :D I took Misty  to a few classes and the fact I'd never done it before combined with her being young and lively made it quite difficult at first. There were a few kids there and they seemed to be having a whale of a time.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Junior Handling
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
Hi Michelle

I agree totally with what Colin has said it wouldn't do your daughter any harm to take Billy to ringcraft classes.  Tracey's daughter Chelsea is a dab hand at handling so I'm sure they will be able to give you details of what books are available if any.  

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Junior Handling
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 02:02:47 PM »
ohhhhh that might be fun. Whats the best way of finding a class in my area? I think the people who do the fly ball might know of some but if anyone has other contacts that would be useful.

Thanks                    
Anita

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Junior Handling
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »
Budding Junior Handlers might be interested in joining The Young Kennel Club - full details on the KC website at www.the-kennel-club.org.uk(just click on the pink YKC icon)

I think Jacqui Hurley has written a book on Junior Handling (I've seen it advertised in the dog press) but I'm sure Tracey will be along later with some more recommendations :)

PS Our Dogs have some JH books on their website at http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/acatalog/Main_Men...Judging_54.html                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Junior Handling
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 03:14:16 PM »
This site has a list of some ringcraft clubs...... there's one in Warrington.

http://www.clubcorner.co.uk/

Another site with listings is...

www.dogclub.co.uk                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Junior Handling
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:16:42 PM »
I think Hayley my oldest daughter (8) is quite keen on this idea too, for when cocker number 2 arrives  :wink: She has been to a few shows and ringfcraft a couple of times (just watching), although Butty is too interested in playing with her than anything else  :lol:
She's cocker mad  :shock:  Her bedtime reading consists of Frank Kane's book  :shock:  :lol:
I personally think it's a really good thing for kids to get involved in  :wink:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Junior Handling
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 05:04:20 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Billy is not the most responsive of dogs,but then maybe ringcraft might help? I will try and find a class near me.

Edited to say two minutes on the net and one phone call later and I am going to watch a ringcraft class next monday. It is actually across the road from where I live and where I walk Billy everyday :roll:

Michelle                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Junior Handling
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 06:24:55 PM »
Since my family and I attended the Lancashire cocker show on Saturday, my daughter has turned into a showing monster :twisted:  

She now plays showing in the hall with Billy as the Model (he is quite keen as she carries a bag of treats with her)  

Michelle

This is how Chelsea started, I think Colin is right about attending a ringcraft class. We were lucky that at our class there is a lady who competes in adult handling who was really helful. She explained the basics of handling to Chelsea and from then on it was a case of practicing. People at ringcraft are usually very helful and like to see the kids having a go.

Jane is right about Jackie Hurley writing a book. She has also made a video you will be able to order  both from U.K Handlers Association 01980 862 600.

If after attending ringcraft your daughter is still interested I would recommend attending a few companion shows. You can find details of these shows in the dog press. Dog World or Our Dogs can be ordered from your newsagent. These shows are great fun and are sometimes held in conjuction with fetes and carnivals. They are a lovely way to spend a summer day with a picnic. It doesn't matter if your dog is not really a show dog as the handling classes are judged on the handling skills. If she is still keen when cocker number 2 comes along then you can enter open shows.

If I can help at all you are welcome to PM me.
Tracey                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Junior Handling
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 07:08:34 PM »
I keep checking the net for Companion Dog Shows and I can't find any in Scotland in the next decade  :wink:  :shock:  :roll: (Slight exageration)                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Junior Handling
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 09:09:09 PM »
I'm not sure about the net Gilly :?  but companion shows are usually advertised in the dog press 3-4 weeks before they are due to take place.Tracey :D                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Junior Handling
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
also remember to check your local 'freebie paper' (or just local paper if you don't get a freebie paper) as events like companion dog show tend to take place at fundraisers / carnivals etc. The vet surgery aswell as sometimes the advertise in there on the noticeboard.

Where abouts are you looking on the 'net Gilly? I have several links that I could post, for both Open and companion shows                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Junior Handling
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
I'll need to check the dog magz  :wink:  Post your links Kelly and I'll check them against mine thanks, I loost quite a lot of links when I got a virus  :evil:                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Junior Handling
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 12:56:14 PM »
hey!

TOPAZ BILLY did you watch the junior handling class @ Lancashire?
I was in it!  :lol: heehee! my sister came 2nd she loves it...she will be doing Young Kennel Club (Junior Show handling) at Crufts on the gundog day in the YKC ring!
She did really well last year...because to qualify for the show handling you have to get 1st at a general champ show! Some class however can be huge! At LKA December, just gone... there was 26  people in (6-11 year olds) and 41 people in (12-16 years old.) My sister got an impressive 7th!
I'm sure if your daughter is interested in junior handling...it would be a good idea to go on the kennel club website and think of joining. It is only 10 pounds, and you receive 34.00 worth of free Crufts tickets! There will probably be a stand around the YKC ring. Its well worth it! As it you can do Stewarding and Judging straight after you finish the older age group. There is also senior handling aged 17-25 years.                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Junior Handling
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 03:50:49 PM »
hey!  

TOPAZ BILLY did you watch the junior handling class @ Lancashire?  
I was in it!  :lol: heehee! my sister came 2nd she loves it...she will be doing Young Kennel Club (Junior Show handling) at Crufts on the gundog day in the YKC ring!
She did really well last year...because to qualify for the show handling you have to get 1st at a general champ show! Some class however can be huge! At LKA December, just gone... there was 26  people in (6-11 year olds) and 41 people in (12-16 years old.) My sister got an impressive 7th!  
I'm sure if your daughter is interested in junior handling...it would be a good idea to go on the kennel club website and think of joining. It is only 10 pounds, and you receive 34.00 worth of free Crufts tickets! There will probably be a stand around the YKC ring. Its well worth it! As it you can do Stewarding and Judging straight after you finish the older age group. There is also senior handling aged 17-25 years.

Yep Nikki,

We watched it and that is what has started the whole thing :roll: people where really nice offering dogs for her to have a go, but she is only 7 nearly 8 and having never done anything like that before I think she got a bit of stage fright but once she realised that you could actually win stuff  :shock: thats all she talked about.

We are all going to crufts so I will probably see if she wants to sign up then.  

We will look out for your sister what dog is she showing, maybe she could have a chat with Meg?

Michelle