Author Topic: Insurance - Yet Again  (Read 3307 times)

Offline wend

• Site Member
Re: Insurance - Yet Again
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »

Having just seen wend's post the other thing you can also check with your vets is which ones they can claim direct from to save you having to pay the bill upfront and recover the monies - with some plans you only pay the excess and your vet clinic deals with the rest for you

I had to telephone 'More Than' about this and apparently its up to the vets. When I filled in the form you had to tick whether you wanted the cheque to be payed to yourself, the vets, or somebody else.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

Having just seen wend's post the other thing you can also check with your vets is which ones they can claim direct from to save you having to pay the bill upfront and recover the monies - with some plans you only pay the excess and your vet clinic deals with the rest for you

I had to telephone 'More Than' about this and apparently its up to the vets. When I filled in the form you had to tick whether you wanted the cheque to be payed to yourself, the vets, or somebody else.

Yes this is up to the individual vet rather than the insurance company. Our vet here in Scotland will not claim directly from any insurance company and neither would the orthopaedic vet who did Rodaidh's surgery so I always have to pay upfront and then claim it back myself but when Tilly needed treatment back in Northern Ireland once the vet there was happy to claim directly.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline dawnie

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 10:50:22 PM »
We have used Esure and will move our pups to this when the breeder insurance expires. Joe and Jasper have been insured with them for several years. They were excellent when Jasper was ill - unfortunately it was terminal - but they reimbursed the GBP1500 we spent trying to find out what was wrong before the awful truth was revealed - and the cheque came fast. No consolation for the loss of Jasper of course but they were sensitive and smart in their handling of the claim which involved our vet and an untrasound expert.

Also if you have other insurance with them - home, travel, etc, then you should get some discounting.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »
Heidi's 6 weeks free insurance through the kennel club has just ended so we've looked at options from staying with the kennel clubs plan as we did with Louie or Sainsburys as that's who insure Jasper.

The Sainsburys plan worked at much cheaper with theis on-line discount and they paid with no hassles when Jaspers lump was removed and biopsy done so that's the one we chose.

Both cover the lifetime of illness, not just for a year. The kennel club cover was £10,000 per condition, Sainsburys only £6,500 but otherwise not a lot of difference.

Sainsburys was just under £17 a month and kennel club around £22 monthly

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
Personally, I would take recommendations from people who have actually had a claim with that particular company.  At the end of the day until you actually make a claim you are paying for a very expensive piece of paper that hopefully will give you some piece of mind.

Price, whilst a consideration isnt everything  ;)

There is one company that being in the industry I wouldnt touch with a barge pole and I know that a great amount of vets, due to their experience with this one company simply refused to have any dealings with them   :-\

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »
There is one company that being in the industry I wouldnt touch with a barge pole and I know that a great amount of vets, due to their experience with this one company simply refused to have any dealings with them   :-\

and if its who I think you're talking about they're using another name as well --- a neighbour asked me for advice the other day and I was just about to be very non-committal as I'd never heard of them then I eventually found who they were (its not obvious from their website ;))
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:46 AM »
Have a look at Halifax, I've just insured Emily with them, and they seem quite comprehensive, and reasonably priced too.  :blink:
Thanks but they work out slightly dearer here & I think the vets fees of £6,000 were only covered for 12 months

Halifax cover per life - £6,000 per annum, for life which is why we went with them

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »
Personally, I would take recommendations from people who have actually had a claim with that particular company.  At the end of the day until you actually make a claim you are paying for a very expensive piece of paper that hopefully will give you some piece of mind.

Price, whilst a consideration isnt everything  ;)

i'm really worried now  :o, as don't know who you could be talking about, i really hope its not the one i'm with, i'm guessing your not allowed to say on here  :-\
chantelle & Tilly