Author Topic: M&S Pet Insurance  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
M&S Pet Insurance
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »
Charley's insurance is due next month and I received his renewal this morning.  It is now £358.88, and as he is over ten the excess is £70 plus 20% of the rest of the cost of treatment.

I'm unsure whether to continue or put money to one side.

Has anyone else done this and wished you had continued with insurance?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: M&S Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
There's no way I'd ever be without insurance for, at a minimum, illness and injury vets fees and 3rd party liability. In the last 4 months Alfie and Rodaidh between them have run up vets fees of over £6000, all completely out of the blue and pretty urgent... doG knows how long it would have taken me to save that much and of course something else could happen to them or to Tilly at any time (hopefully not but it could) which I'd also have to pay for of course. With the 3rd party liability thing, if your dog causes an accident and you're held liable the fees/claims could run into hundreds of thousands if not millions so to me that's also an essential.

I used to have Alfie and Tilly with M&S but this year the premiums nearly doubled and they added the excess so I've moved them to Healthy Pets gold cover which is much more reasonably priced, you don't get some of the bells and whistles stuff M&S offers like behaviourists fees etc. but I don't need that anyway.

When my dogs are sick that's enough of a worry for me without having 'oh god how am I going to pay for this' in the back of my mind as well. I like the peace of mind of being able to say 'do whatever you have to do' without having to worry about the cost. I'd say that anyway of course as I'd do whatever it took if I had to pay for it myself but I just don't want the added stress at times like that.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
Nic - hope you dont mind me asking but was Roadaidh on M&S when he was diagnosed with his leg issue and has he since been moved over to Healthy Pets - if so - what are your thoughts on the existing condition part of the policy?!!

I obv have the problem with Hurley and his leg (and now his lip folds) and am concerned that if I move over to HP I wont be covered for them under existing illnesses......

Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Nic - hope you dont mind me asking but was Roadaidh on M&S when he was diagnosed with his leg issue and has he since been moved over to Healthy Pets - if so - what are your thoughts on the existing condition part of the policy?!!

I obv have the problem with Hurley and his leg (and now his lip folds) and am concerned that if I move over to HP I wont be covered for them under existing illnesses......

No hun, Rodaidh went straight to HP when I got him last year as by that stage M&S had already hiked the premiums and added the excess so they wanted more to insure him on his own in July as I'd paid to insure both Alfie and Tilly excess free in February and March  ::)  I've moved Alfie over though and there is a chance his MCT could come back but it's unlikely to at least until he's a lot older so I'm taking that chance with him.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
thanks hun  :-*

I reckon its prob best for my bank balance to remain on M&S. Although I have to check with them that they cover conditions on a lifetime basis as I dont think they do anymore  ::)
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
This is the online quote that I got for Harry who is nearly 14.  The only health question asked was whether or not he had been treated at the vets within the last 12 months (which he had).   The quote was also based on my post code area.

Hope this helps.

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/step3.php

Sorry, it didn't work.  The gold quote was £82.16 with a £50 excess.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
Has anyone used Healthy Pets and made a claim?

I can't believe the quote for Charley: £192.44 for the Gold Cover, and only £50 excess.  Seems too good to be true.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
Yes, I just got a claim paid from HP the other day for Rodaidh's luxating patella surgery. It was for several thousand pounds and he was seen by 2 different vets so it was quite a complicated claim and they've not quibbled with it at all. It hasn't taken too long either, so far I'm very impressed with them.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
This is the online quote that I got for Harry who is nearly 14.  The only health question asked was whether or not he had been treated at the vets within the last 12 months (which he had).   The quote was also based on my post code area.

Hope this helps.

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/step3.php

Sorry, it didn't work.  The gold quote was £82.16 with a £50 excess.

Thanks for that link.  Following Nicola's post I shall renew Charley's insurance with Healthy Pets.  It's half M&S and a much, much lower excess.

Offline flyingspaniel

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »
Hi
Now I'm confused, my dog is with M&S and I agree the hike is extortionate, however we have claimed for 3 different problems, one of which requires lifetime treatment but if I move insurers is there no-one that will cover for previous conditions? (I know I wouldn't cover her from scratch knowing her history).
I am pretty sure that M&S do still provide lifetime cover, can anyone confirm or deny this?
And finally ... do 'Healthy Pets' offer lifetime cover?

Thank you x
Educated by Abby x