Author Topic: Tips for Baiting Dog Whilst Showing  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Tips for Baiting Dog Whilst Showing
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:00:36 PM »
Hi All

At Champ Shows I've noticed that quite a few exhibitors Baiting/Offering Titbits to their dogs in the ring.  Now I'd like to do this with Douglas as sometimes he could do with that little umph especially when challenging for BOB.

He does like Liver, Cheese etc but takes it very gingerly.  The only thing that he gets really excited about and that is when he is in the sea and I'm throwing him his ball  :roll:  Is there any hope  :?:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 02:16:32 PM »
Hi Dessie

I have found a great little product called Natures Gift Reward meatballs :wink:  they are free from nasty things, and are really quite small, I know Indie certainly loves them!!  and will do almost anything for one :lol:   I got mine is Pets at Home, i'm not sure if you have one there, I could always send you some, if you wanted :)  Small pieces of hotdog are a good titbit too, although they do niff a bit in your pocket :roll:

Emma                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 03:15:42 PM »
I know I don't show  :wink:  but i have used hotdog sausages in the past...dog's love them  :) you can also buy the little treat pouches for your wrist or belt  :)                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »
Now this is going to sound daft but here goes anyway - How do you get your dog to be really excited about his/her titbit ??  Douglas isn't really that fussed over food and just takes his pieces of liver really gingerly as mentioned above.  

I will try the hotdog sausages though, but even cooked sausages he is the same with :roll:  And I might have to take you up on those meatball thingies Emma we don't have a Pets at Home in Guernsey  :cry:  :cry:                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:11:16 PM »
You just have to keep trying different treats he likes untill you find his special :wink:  I can't recommend liver bites though, it makes your hands smell bad, and if it was my dogs they would get over excited and jump up and down to get it....

I once saw (on a newfie show) a handler running around with a big piece of dried liver hanging from her mouth   :shock:  :? . Perhaps you should try that  :lol:  :lol:  

She won her class btw........                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:18:18 PM »
Now this is going to sound daft but here goes anyway - How do you get your dog to be really excited about his/her titbit ??  Douglas isn't really that fussed over food and just takes his pieces of liver really gingerly as mentioned above.  

I will try the hotdog sausages though, but even cooked sausages he is the same with :roll:  And I might have to take you up on those meatball thingies Emma we don't have a Pets at Home in Guernsey  :cry:  :cry:

Hi Dessie

I know what you mean about taking things gingerly, Indie is the same with some treats, but does get very excited with these meatball thingies :)  Perhaps Douglas is being a good boy and being polite :wink:

Dessie......If you pm me your details, I will send you some across!  Hopefully, they will do the trick for you, they certainly get Indie working, although not in the show ring, but I'm certain she would even wash the dishes for one :wink:, and as you know what a fussydrawers she is, thats saying something :lol:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 05:02:49 PM »
Hi Dessie,
 What you could try is to having something tasty and clench it in a loose fist so he can't get to it but can smell it. Basically, you're teasing him, waving it under his nose and its just out of reach. Bit mean I know, but it would wind my lot up a treat  :roll:  :D

If Douglas isn't food orientated though I don't know that titbits would be of any use. :(                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 05:28:01 PM »

I once saw (on a newfie show) a handler running around with a big piece of dried liver hanging from her mouth   :shock:  :? . Perhaps you should try that  :lol:  :lol:

If you go for this technique I want to see the photos, Dessie. :lol:

I don't show but did take Misty to ringcraft classes where I found it difficult to get her to stop snuffling along the ground for stray food. I was told on here to make a clicking noise with my tongue on the roof of my mouth when feeding or giving treats, then make this noise in the ring to get her attention then feed the treat after we'd got round the ring. It certainly worked with Misty, although again might not work for Douglas if he isn't very treat orientated. :?  I still do the clicking noise everytime I feed them so it works as a good distraction technique if requried in the park. :D                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 09:28:03 PM »
The titbits that I offer mine in the ring, are only ever on offer at a show !
Luckily mine are all food oriented.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 09:32:22 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys I guess it is really just trial and error with Douglas.  I'll let you know how we get on at this weeks Ringcraft.  Going to get some hotdog sausages to try and use some cheese as well to start with.  What do you use Kim ??                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 09:38:17 PM »
It varies Dessie, at the moment I'm using the munchy rolls, I was using Winalot rewards, but they seem not to keep in my show bag & the dogs turned their noses up.
The dried lungs went down well too.
Lots of people use liver cake, I haven't tried this yet & am not sure of the recipe, maybe Jane knows ?                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »
Yes, Dessie,
Have you tried puffed jerky :?:  :lol:  :lol:   Its nice and dry in your pocket, its the dried lungs Kim referred to in the last post :lol:  :lol:

You can buy it in Tesco if thats any help :wink:                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 10:45:44 PM »
Yes, Dessie,
Have you tried puffed jerky :?:  :lol:  :lol:   Its nice and dry in your pocket, its the dried lungs Kim referred to in the last post :lol:  :lol:

You can buy it in Tesco if thats any help :wink:

I use this too, for training!  I get mine in Asda :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 03:48:29 PM »
Thanks again all for the titbit tips - I've got some of that puffed jerky type stuff so will also try that with Douglas tomorrow along with his hot dog sausages and cheese  :wink:  :lol: surely one of these will get him excited.                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 01:26:07 AM »
I can't recommend liver bites though, it makes your hands smell bad, and if it was my dogs they would get over excited and jump up and down to get it....

and there's nothing like cheese dissolving in your hand either                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!