Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« on: April 03, 2004, 09:42:35 PM »
Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good Pet Insurance.. Do people recommend I get a 'full cover' or just a cover for vets fees.

thanks for info

cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 09:56:14 PM »
Hi Cathy

I have full cover for Indie, includes vets fees, money toward finding her if she gets lost and also lnsurance against liability, as we live in such a claim culture world, I think the last one is important, although I would hope I will never have to use it!  

Apparantly, claiming agaisnt dog owners is the new "tripped on a lose flag"  I can't remember where I read it now, but its the thing at the moment, if your dog so much as jumps up at a passerby they can go and take legal advise and claim they have been traumatised by it :?  :roll:  So worth considering!

Which company are you thinking of going with?                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 10:06:47 PM »
Hi Emma,

It amazes me these day the way things are ...

I was considering Tescos, as its cheap, or directline, or pet plan.

I get a bt of a discount through petplan, through work, and discount with Directline, as I have other insurances through them.

I am open to suggestion.

Its the first time I have ever considered it, and am really concerned about vets fees.

Regards

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 10:14:28 PM »
Hi Cathy

It is a bit of a minefield, like most insurances!!

Since reading other forums, I have found that the one I am with have a lot of disatisfied customers :?   So when mine is up for renewal in a couple of months I will be swiftly changing them!  I was thinking of Directline myself!!

The thing with isurance companies is, one person may have a fantastic story to tell about them and the person next door, may have an awful one :?   As with everything, draw up a shortlist of what you would want from an insurance company, and way that up against what you can find!  

You may find this link useful http://homeandgarden.loot.com/rs6/homepage...s_pet_insurance

HTH                    

Offline paul the decorator

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 05:23:39 PM »
Hi,

I've just renewed mine today.

I'm lucky , now 53 so I use Saga.

The good thing about there cover ( 2 levels but always go for the highest ) is that if Smudge dies I get the full costs back even if he dies from illness of any sort , Direct Line for instance only cover for accident.
I did the rounds via the internet and phone over the last week and Saga was the cheapest for the cover offered.
There were a few cheaper , Tesco in particular but they did not have quite the same amount of cover.
With Saga I get , £2 million public liabilty A MUST HAVE........
£1000 advertising reward cost if he goes missing.,if he goesmissing I get his full costs back, accidental damage to your own property upto £ 750 and even a Burgalar reward if Smudgie catches him ,although I think it would be a case of licking him into submission.

Byeee,

Smudge and Paul                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 07:21:12 PM »
BE VERY CAREFUL!  :o read the small print We pay £14.25 per month for Billy with Petplan. Although this not the cheapest of insurers, the cheapest one i think was £8, it was the only insurer that covered each condition/illness for life. Many do not. They will cover each condition/illness for one year only or only up to a certain amount. For example if Billy was injured  tomorrow and had to have treatment on his leg, many insurers will only pay out for the first 12 months. :cry:  so if in 3 years time he needed more treatment for the same injury this would not be covered as it would be 12months since it first was treated. Petplan covers for life, so the same injury can be claimed against time and time again which i thought was very important. Especially for arthritis etc in future years. Our vet strongly recomended this insurer, I suppose it depends on what you want.                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 08:54:34 PM »
We currently have insurance through Directline, but I am thinking of changing it because it only covers each condition for 12 months.  I think I would rather pay more for cover for each condition for whole life.  I guess you pays your money and takes your choice!

Sue                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Pet Insurance
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 09:42:47 PM »
I hope this helps....

The most import words you want to see are ....COVER FOR LIFE :!:

These insurance companies that look and offer cheapish payments don't  and i'm afraid to say that Tesco only insure for one year, although they are not to bad at paying out.  I'm currently with the kennel club, which cover for life, and have had very good service from them.  Also from a profexsional point of view we rarely have any problems with them contesting a claim.  Petplan, again are very good and pay out promtlyas do Vet to pet.  i know i proberly shouldn't say the company name and would like to state that this my view only, But do NOT go with E & L they NEVER pay out with out a problem and will try their utmost to get out of paying even the most striaght forward of claims

Torie and co x                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 09:53:47 PM »
i know i proberly shouldn't say the company name and would like to state that this my view only, But do NOT go with E & L they NEVER pay out with out a problem and will try their utmost to get out of paying even the most striaght forward of claims

Torie and co x[/quote]

I am with them at the moment, thankfully I have never claimed :) but I have heard a lot of horror stories, and will changeover as soon as this one ends, which thankfully is only a couple of months :D                    

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 01:12:03 PM »
I have just taken out insurance for our new dog Bob.  I found Pinnacle the best quote, closely followed by DBI.  Have both our cats with them.  DBI were particularly good when our cat needed expensive surgery after being hit by a car.

Pinnacle's cover is renewed every year, so not a problem if a long term condition is diagnosed.  They also now offer an options plan, where you can choose to increase the excess.  Tesco was cheap but the cover was very low.

Best of luck

Lesley :P                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »
We are very happy with Marks & Spencer - virtually identical cover to Petplan but less expensive. They also pay out promptly, and have annual, not per condition limits. Boysie is now on glucosamine for life, (since last summer), and we've just renewed with hardly any increase in premium or exclusions.                    

Offline PennyB

Pet Insurance
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 12:22:15 AM »
I thought Petplan also have annual limits not per condition                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 06:54:12 AM »
I thought Petplan also have annual limits not per condition

Yes they do - I was tryting to show similarities, but just ended up confusing! Must engage brain before typing!                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 02:08:53 PM »
I just Insurance Jazz, what a  mindfield... I spent ages working through them all, and decided on Sainburys, they didn't have a 12 month limit and eveything seemed to compare to ppetplan, but was only £9.5o per month..

So fingers crossed its a good decision.... I am more nervious than taking out my own insurance.

Also the lady who gave me the Quote had a Cocker... so she won me over. ( I wonder if she has every other breed of dog as well)                    
CATHY

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Pet Insurance
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »
Hi Cathy,

I have taken out Marks and Spencers insurance for Piper.  It is virtually identical to petplan but cheaper - plus you are able to change the excess which affects the monthly payment.  They offer life cover - which was important to me.

Fortunately I have not had to claim on the insurance, so cannot say how they are when you claim.

A friend of mine has petplan and she has had to claim several times - and has never had a problem.  They seem to be a bit more expensive than M&S but I have heard a lot of good stuff about them.

Louise :D                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx