Author Topic: Advice please from experienced show peeps.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Advice please from experienced show peeps.
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong place, I wasnt sure.  :huh:

We havnt been to ringcraft for about 4 weeks as I wasnt very happy with the original place we were going too (we were not learning much etc). So we have been putting the feelers out for a goodun, and on advice I took Alfie last night to a new one, which was fantastic.  :D We learnt so much just last night my head was spinning.  :005:

Anyway, when Alfie was on the table the guy who runs it was guiding me and he asked if Alfie was fed on the foor i.e  was his bowl on the floor. He pointed out that Alfies front paws where beginning to 'splay out'.  :huh: I hadnt even noticed TBH but he said we must get his bowls raised in order to correct it i.e being on tippy toes helps revert this.

I am now worried that we wont be able to show him.  :'( He explained how it all worked and it made sense at the time, but was just wondering if you could give me some words of wisdom please. Is this just Alfie and there is not much we can do.  :huh: We also have wooden floor throughout, would that impact upon it?

We did have a fab night though, Alfie has found a much more suitable 'friend' in my eyes, a tibetan terrior  :luv:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Advice please from experienced show peeps.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
I haven't heard of raised food bowls being a cure for splayed feet :huh: To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much - all dogs have slight faults from a show point of view and you just do what you can to highlight the good points and draw attention away from the not so good points. Louis is still a puppy anyway - his feet may well tighten up with maturity, specially when he is able to get more exercise as an adult (road walking is good for feet) and judicious trimming can also make less than perfect feet look a lot better than they are.

Remember that the perfect show Cocker has not been born - even the top winners usually have a couple of minor failings ;)
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »
Agree with Jane and for what it's worth Gracie had this problem as a youngster ;) it's now completely cured itself as she's got older and she never does it anymore ;) Just be conscious of how you set him up, is it better to lower his front down with his feet together or to arrange his front feet separately, also as he approaches the judge keep a wee eye on his feet and when you stop make sure his feet are straight, if not entice him an extra couple of inches until they are...discreetly of course ;)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
I haven't heard of raised food bowls being a cure for splayed feet :huh: To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much - all dogs have slight faults from a show point of view and you just do what you can to highlight the good points and draw attention away from the not so good points. Louis is still a puppy anyway - his feet may well tighten up with maturity, specially when he is able to get more exercise as an adult (road walking is good for feet) and judicious trimming can also make less than perfect feet look a lot better than they are.

Remember that the perfect show Cocker has not been born - even the top winners usually have a couple of minor failings ;)

Thanks Jane, that has made me feel a better hearing that.  :D We mainly walk in the woods or park, so road walking willl be on the agenda in a little while. Alfies couple of failings will be his feet and his handler - me.  :005: You all make it look so easy.  :shades:

Agree with Jane and for what it's worth Gracie had this problem as a youngster ;) it's now completely cured itself as she's got older and she never does it anymore ;) Just be conscious of how you set him up, is it better to lower his front down with his feet together or to arrange his front feet separately, also as he approaches the judge keep a wee eye on his feet and when you stop make sure his feet are straight, if not entice him an extra couple of inches until they are...discreetly of course ;)

Brilliant tip Gilly, thankyou.  :-* I have just bought a mat so next week the guy can mark Alfies feet position on it for me to help me out and I can take it home. Do you think that is useful, or do you think that will hinder me as he grows? He is 24 weeks at the mo.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »
Brilliant tip Gilly, thankyou.  :-* I have just bought a mat so next week the guy can mark Alfies feet position on it for me to help me out and I can take it home. Do you think that is useful, or do you think that will hinder me as he grows? He is 24 weeks at the mo.

No, I don't think it will be helpful as his body will be growing and going through a lot of changes so it will affect how he stands, it may continue to be different until he is about 2 years old.

The best investment you can make is a mirror large enough for you to see the whole picture as the judge sees it, and practice in front of it  ;)

(and easy does it too. Don't over practice as you want him to be happy and not bored with it. You can get a dog "ring sour" by drilling too much. If there is another dog you can practice with, so much the better!)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
Sounds like you have found a good ringcraft now, we started on Tuesday night but not much advice given, think if you ask someone will show you what to do but otherwise it seems like ours consisted of 4 seperate mini classes that were judged and rosettes given but you learn from watching others  :huh: If you are watching others and they are learning, doesn't that mean that you could be learning the same mistakes  :-\

That said I hadn't even thought that we ask our dogs to sit to receive a treat, now they have to be re-taught to stand so it becomes automatic to wait in a reasonable shape (and stood up)  ph34r.

We are struggling to find another near-by and with the added complication of being on a night that one of the children isn't somewhere else. Beginning to think we'd be better asking someone to mentor us on a 1:1 for an hour  :embarassed: 'specially if we are not going to do this at much more than Companion show levels. (would still like to be doing it right though)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
I don't think you'll need to mark where his feet should be, the big mirror is a great idea, I've used one too  ;) You will be able to set his front up when stacked by rearranging and seeing what suits best. It's just really to be a wee bit conscious as you approach the judge for the final time an let him free stand, just watch his feet and move him with the lead slightly if he does it.
If your anything like me when you notice a slight fault your eye ALWAYS goes to it  ::) which makes it seem worse than it is  ;)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »
Thanks Spanielcrazy and Gilly, I am actually in the middle of doing a complete overhaul on my living room, so my big overmantle mirror is going spare, I will put in in the dining room where his table is. My dining room is slowly becoming a doggy version of a spa for Alfie.  :005:

I tend to only practice in short bursts once or twice a day is that ok? Literally a few stands and thats it. I must say though I use bait, but his whole body seems to move whilst he is trying to munch  :huh: I was contemplating ditching the bait until the end, what do you think?

Jaspersmum we struggled finding this one ourselves. The last one was very much as you describe, we found this one via a lady I work with, she does obedience stuff so knows a lot of people, so gave me the number of someone who attended. It was real fun too, and Alfie seemed much more relaxed in this class than the previous thankfully. Other than hiding under the chair from the tiniest dog I have ever seen (dont even know what it was to be honest, we think Alfie thought one of his toys had come alive.  :005: We have got a bit of a trek though now every wednesday night, its not very close to were we are, but definately will be worth it. I hope you can find somewhere suitable, we are having lots of fun doing it.

Thanks everyone.  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »
My dining room is slowly becoming a doggy version of a spa for Alfie.  :005:

I know how that is!  :005: It's kind of hard to make grooming tables and crates into "decor"  ::) :lol2:

I was contemplating ditching the bait until the end, what do you think?

Yes, ditch the bait for at home practice, and use sparingly at class or in the ring. It is an extra special treat to get them on their toes and alert, so you don't want to feed the dog in the ring!  :005:

It's a fine line with a first show dog, you need the practice but you don't want to make the dog sour or bored. If you see any sign that the dog is getting bored or resentful, quit for a couple of days. Always keep the dog fresh!  :blink:

You can also incorporate the gaiting into your regular walks, you can say "show dog!" and do a quick gaiting pattern with loads of praise at the end (when the judge would be looking) for doing such an amazing wonderful thing  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
Jaspersmum we struggled finding this one ourselves. The last one was very much as you describe, we found this one via a lady I work with, she does obedience stuff so knows a lot of people, so gave me the number of someone who attended. It was real fun too, and Alfie seemed much more relaxed in this class than the previous thankfully. Other than hiding under the chair from the tiniest dog I have ever seen (dont even know what it was to be honest, we think Alfie thought one of his toys had come alive.  :005: We have got a bit of a trek though now every wednesday night, its not very close to were we are, but definately will be worth it. I hope you can find somewhere suitable, we are having lots of fun doing it.

We already travel 30 mins to get to this one and can't go too much further as we didn't get home till 10.30pm which is late with school next day  :-\ I'm hoping a COLer who use's the club will come in the next couple of weeks to give an honest opinion on Heidi and Meg  ;) But I think it's safe to say Heidi was relaxed - she was asleep under our table between her stints and that was despite being next to an enormous Akita  ::)

I was listening in to the people next to us on the subject of bait, they said they were using too high a value with chicken as they were being mobbed by the dog, not advisable when the dog is a huge Akita and it's round your neck  ph34r  they were trying something less interesting.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
My dining room is slowly becoming a doggy version of a spa for Alfie.  :005:

I know how that is!  :005: It's kind of hard to make grooming tables and crates into "decor"  ::) :lol2:

I was contemplating ditching the bait until the end, what do you think?

Yes, ditch the bait for at home practice, and use sparingly at class or in the ring. It is an extra special treat to get them on their toes and alert, so you don't want to feed the dog in the ring!  :005:

It's a fine line with a first show dog, you need the practice but you don't want to make the dog sour or bored. If you see any sign that the dog is getting bored or resentful, quit for a couple of days. Always keep the dog fresh!  :blink:

You can also incorporate the gaiting into your regular walks, you can say "show dog!" and do a quick gaiting pattern with loads of praise at the end (when the judge would be looking) for doing such an amazing wonderful thing  :005:

I was actually doing the 'silly walk' my OH calls it  ::) on the pathway in the woods alone with Alfie the other day. Well I hope I was alone and noone could see.  ph34r. Right, Alfie and I are on a mission now, wonky feet and all.  :005:

We already travel 30 mins to get to this one and can't go too much further as we didn't get home till 10.30pm which is late with school next day  :-\ I'm hoping a COLer who use's the club will come in the next couple of weeks to give an honest opinion on Heidi and Meg  ;) But I think it's safe to say Heidi was relaxed - she was asleep under our table between her stints and that was despite being next to an enormous Akita  ::)

I was listening in to the people next to us on the subject of bait, they said they were using too high a value with chicken as they were being mobbed by the dog, not advisable when the dog is a huge Akita and it's round your neck  ph34r  they were trying something less interesting.

Yes, Alfie was mobbing me for cheese last night.  ::) :005: My mum came with me last night and just sat there rolling her eyes. :005:
The last class everyone baited, this one it wasnt obvious if they where.

I think its fab that your daughter is getting so involved  :luv: I was watching a little girl last night, I wish I had been able to do it when I was a kid. This little girl told us when she left school she wanted a job playing with puppies.  :luv: :005:

I know what you mean about the late finishes though, it tires me out. I slept like a log last night. Pity Alfie didnt.  >:D

I was getting disheartened the last four weeks not going to ringcraft, thinking we wouldnt find a decent class and that would be it. Have you called the Kennel Club to ask them? To be honest I did and they told me that there were no classes by me  :huh: but I suppose where this class is isnt really. Keep putting the feelers out, and please dont enter your daughter and Heidi into a show with me and Alfie she would run circles around us.  :005: