Author Topic: healthy pets insurance?  (Read 14288 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: healthy pets insurance?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 03:56:31 PM »
What is the company the breeders use to get the 6 weeks free? Are they any good, to carry it on with?

The Kennel Club, or Pet Plan are the most popular breeders insurance  ;)  They are both top of the range in terms of the cover they offer, but the premiums reflect this and are very expensive  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
OH has tempted fate and said 'what can happen' he seems to think because his childhood dogs were never insured and never had any conditions that cassie will be the same but i'm a 'just in case' kinda person.

Even if you are lucky and never need to claim for veterinary care, dog insurance is well worth it for third party cover - society is a lot more litigious than years ago, and many dog owners have faced legal action over damage or injuries caused by the dog.  For instance, if your dog runs across a road and caused an accident - the drivers involved might claim from you  ph34r

I have noticed that you have brought this up a few times Rachel,  a standard household policy does provide liability cover - whilst I cannot speak for absolutely every single policy that is issued, I havent actually come across one that DOESNT include it  ;)  Indeed my firm have looked into a fair few dog bites just recently, of varying types and circumstances.

I am with Healthy Pets and have had no cause for concern.  I am in the process of presenting a claim to them for Blue's recent ongoing treatment. 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
I have noticed that you have brought this up a few times Rachel,  a standard household policy does provide liability cover - whilst I cannot speak for absolutely every single policy that is issued, I havent actually come across one that DOESNT include it  ;)  Indeed my firm have looked into a fair few dog bites just recently, of varying types and circumstances.

I checked with our insurers, and was told that our policy is restricted to liability for incident that take place in our home and garden; it does not cover liability for my dog in any public place.... :huh:  Perhaps my home insurance is unusual - but surely it is better to check?   :huh:
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »

I checked with our insurers, and was told that our policy is restricted to liability for incident that take place in our home and garden; it does not cover liability for my dog in any public place.... :huh:  Perhaps my home insurance is unusual - but surely it is better to check?   :huh:

I agree it is better to check

Sorry to labour the point but I have now double checked - you know when you have a niggly feeling.  I have checked my own policy and have checked one other standard household policy wording. 

Basically, under the Personal and Public Liability section an insurer will indemnify you/any member of your household if you become , legally liable to pay as compensation for accidental death, bodily injury, illness or disease of any person, or accidental damage to material property occurring during any period of insurance arising:
b in a personal capacity  occurring in Great Britain,Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands, and
Elsewhere in the world during a temporary visit.  We will pay up to £2,000,000 in connection with any one incident or
series of incidents arising out of one event.

The general restrictions relating to dogs are ;-

iii animals, except domestic pets other
than those listed in the Dangerous
Dogs Act 1991

Offline LinzB

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
We're with More Than for Millie, its £11.99 per month, and covers up to £7000 worth of treatment, though I must admit I am not an expert in these things. OH basically asked around at work, and the general consensus was more than, and the people who had their dogs insured with them were happy with the service. Paperwork is on its way though, so plenty of small print to read! Might be an option though, to go on their site and have a read? Petplan wanted to sign us up there and then for £15.99 a month with a max of £4k cover! As with all insurances, I suppose it pays to shop around, and wade through a load of small print!  ;)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
We're with Halifax, not had to claim from them yet.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
We're with More Than for Millie, its £11.99 per month, and covers up to £7000 worth of treatment, though I must admit I am not an expert in these things. OH basically asked around at work, and the general consensus was more than, and the people who had their dogs insured with them were happy with the service. Paperwork is on its way though, so plenty of small print to read! Might be an option though, to go on their site and have a read? Petplan wanted to sign us up there and then for £15.99 a month with a max of £4k cover! As with all insurances, I suppose it pays to shop around, and wade through a load of small print!  ;)

The £4000 cover for Veterinary Fee that Pet Plan offer is per year, whereas the £7000 that More Than offer is per condition...it gets realy complicated  ph34r
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
We're with Halifax and claimed a couple of months ago for Reuben's overnight stay in a 5* hotel at the vets. They paid up with no problems at all and very promptly. They also covered the cost of the lovely prescription food which a lot of insurers tend to exclude.  :D

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
We're with Halifax and claimed a couple of months ago for Reuben's overnight stay in a 5* hotel at the vets. They paid up with no problems at all and very promptly. They also covered the cost of the lovely prescription food which a lot of insurers tend to exclude.  :D

Hmm another one i will have to look into!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »
I keep saying I am going to change our two (and I still pay for MILs dog as she used to be ours) from Petplan as for three it is one of our highest bills  :o

I looked at healthy pets and I would be able to nearly get all three with them on their highest cover for the cost of one on lifetime Petplan.   I just keep putting it off again and again but it costs me a fortune.  I have never had to make a claim in the 5 years I have been with petplan and I am not sure what to do tbh  :-\  A vet told me that for most ongoing treatments 5K should be sufficient (per condition over a lifetime) and that this would be the level of cover she would recommend.

Offline Vista

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »
It's interesting to hear from a vet that £5,000 cover would be adequate. I have been researching insurance for a couple of weeks now in preparation for my very first puppy in September and I will probably get the Healthy Pets plan at £7 a month but put the £25 extra it would cost to have Pet Plan etc into a savings account should the need arise in a few years.

What concerns me with the £30+ a month plans is the excess fee of £80 meaning that the odd trip to the vet for conjunctivitis etc and minor problems costing about £50 to £60 still have to be paid without a claim.

Mark

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »
The halifax has a (highest cover) £6000 rather than £5000 for healthy pets? I didnt go into getting a quote so i dont know how much the monthly payments were. They dont cover dental problems either - are most insurance places like that regarding dental treatment?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »
I believe Halifax is £7000 a year. I pay £24 a month for my two. (I got a quote for £20 a month from HP.) They cover dental problems as a result of an accident but not in other circumstances. I think most insurance is the same.  :-\

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
I believe Halifax is £7000 a year. I pay £24 a month for my two. (I got a quote for £20 a month from HP.) They cover dental problems as a result of an accident but not in other circumstances. I think most insurance is the same.  :-\

Sorry it might have been £7000 ph34r apologies i went visiting my mum for a couple of hours inbetween reading and replying!   ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
Halifax is £6000 per year, per life, no upper age limit on the dog.   It costs me £139.57 per year, but pay monthly.   £50.00 excess.