Author Topic: healthy pets insurance?  (Read 14287 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: healthy pets insurance?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 11:11:06 PM »
I believe Halifax is £7000 a year. I pay £24 a month for my two. (I got a quote for £20 a month from HP.) They cover dental problems as a result of an accident but not in other circumstances. I think most insurance is the same.  :-\

Sorry it might have been £7000 ph34r apologies i went visiting my mum for a couple of hours inbetween reading and replying!   ::)
No sorry. ph34r You are right.  :D I'm obviously not as insured as I thought I was.  :005:

Offline AllyH

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:47 AM »
OOOHH dear!!!! I took out HP thinking the £5000 cover was per year for life :-\. I have a claim in at the moment with them as Ozzi was referred to the opthamologist for ingrowing eyelashes The first appointment cost me £190!!!! I hope we don't have to go too much!!! Also does the excess on the insurance mean every claim has £50 excess or is the excess per condition? :-\ :huh: Ie when we go back in a few weeks will I have to pay £50 excess again?
When did he take over my life?:-)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
My two are with Tescos and again is £7K per condition....pay £20 for both ....when Ollie was alive he broke his leg TWICE luckily the cost was £6k but god I was glad he was insured.
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »
Also does the excess on the insurance mean every claim has £50 excess or is the excess per condition? :-\ :huh: Ie when we go back in a few weeks will I have to pay £50 excess again?

For ongoing conditions, you should only have to pay the excess once; although some policies require the excess to be paid again if the ongoing treatment continues after the annual renewal  :-\

Your vet should fill the form in to say it is a continuation of treatment  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »
healthy pets FAQ's

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/faq.htm

If I'm reading it correctly, it's pretty good cover ::)

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
healthy pets FAQ's

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/faq.htm

If I'm reading it correctly, it's pretty good cover ::)

It certainly suits our circumstances just fine, however as with any insurance you need to consider what you really need.

If we were unlucky enough that the dogs did develop a condition which would cost more than £5,000 in total then we could cover the additional costs though using savings, cutting back, working extra hours, family help etc.  It wouldn't be comfortable but we could do it.

However if we weren't in this position then I would have a more expensive but higher cover policy, so that I always know I could give the dogs whatever treatment they need.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »
Halifax here too. I pay just under 30 pounds a month for 3 dogs.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
My two are with Tescos and again is £7K per condition....pay £20 for both ....when Ollie was alive he broke his leg TWICE luckily the cost was £6k but god I was glad he was insured.
  :huh: Isn't Tescos only for the first year only of any specific condition though? It certainly was when I used them. That was how I came unstuck -as they refused to pay out after the first twelve months had passed for one of my dogs (problems with arthritis) even though I hadn't claimed more than the maximum amount insured  >:( .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
  :huh: Isn't Tescos only for the first year only of any specific condition though? It certainly was when I used them. That was how I came unstuck -as they refused to pay out after the first twelve months had passed for one of my dogs (problems with arthritis) even though I hadn't claimed more than the maximum amount insured  >:( .

I think it depends on the level of cover.  The extra cover is £4000 per ilness/injury with no time limit on claims.  The standard cover is £2500 per condition and covers each condition for 1yr :-\

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »
Theo and my 2 cats are with HP but never had to make a claim. My springer is with another insurance company and I am still waiting for them to pay out for an ear problem since March. They have also doubled the insurance premiums because he has turned 8. As soon as they make a decision on whether to pay up I shall cancel the policy with them what ever the decision and move him to HP. As he would already be excluded on his current poicy for any more treatment on his ears it won't matter if he is excluded on any other policy.
From the Darby family

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »
we are with Petpals, £5,000 per year for life. haven't come across any COLers that are with these, getting worried incase there is a reason why ph34r
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
I changed my lot from M&S to Healthy Pets when their premiums shot way up and they removed the zero excess option. I didn't find the amount they were charging was justified by the cover they were offering, it's not that much better than HP (for me). So far I've found HP to be great, I've put in one very big claim for Rodaidh's luxating patella treatment which was split between two vets and they paid up promptly and with no hassle. The cover suits really well for my circumstances although I know that if for whatever reason one of the dogs did need more than 5000 pounds worth of treatment I'd be able to make it up from savings etc.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
im going to look in to my Tesco policy although when Ollie broke his leg they were fab. Im not sure about year on year as it happened within a year (don't ask how he managed to break his leg TWICE in this space of time)
Its made me think this thread about looking though as we have never claimed for either Maisie or Annie, but im not after cheapest just to want the best one that will cover them for their needs. I keep making this mental note to do this as was stung by House Cover for a Laptop....Im just too disorganised, so tomorrow I vow to have a good look
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
I need to renew mine and I have no idea where to go. I'm with tesco just now on a basic policy but would like to upgrade to lifetime cover but the quote's I've had are for £95 a month for 3 dogs and i just cannot afford that! Been paying £27 a month for 3 up til now.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
I have just taken out a policy with Healthy Pets for Molly and Jagger on their GOLD plan.  I have to say they were really helpful on the phone and didnt keep me waiting for ages like petplan do!  I have an endorsement on Jaggers policy though as he had a wound on his head which got infected, the girl on the phone stated that it would list wounds as not being covered but that it would only be for anything related to that particular wound.  Would you guys take their word for it or make them put it in writing explicitly?   I am waiting for the policy documents to come and for the 10 day exemption period on illness is up before I cancel petplan - cant be too careful can you?!